• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Since buying this computer, I could never get a POP3 connection to work with Comcast's mail servers. I was forced to use IMAP. This appears to be where most/if not all of my problems were caused. Comcast was never any help either. I've tried to get someone to help me set it up, but we could never get it working properly. Yesterday I played with the setting for an hour and I have the setting to make the POP3 connection work. Since then, I have not had ANY problems with my Comcast emails. The email notifications from MDS are now working as intended too.

I'm happy!

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Since buying this computer, I could never get a POP3 connection to work with Comcast's mail servers. I was forced to use IMAP. This appears to be where most/if not all of my problems were caused. Comcast was never any help either. I've tried to get someone to help me set it up, but we could never get it working properly. Yesterday I played with the setting for an hour and I have the setting to make the POP3 connection work. Since then, I have not had ANY problems with my Comcast emails. The email notifications from MDS are now working as intended too.

I'm happy!

Okay Jim, enlighten me.

Once I've been using IMAP, how can I change it to POP3 without blowing away the existing settings thus hosing up years of email, my OST, & PSTs. Did you find a step-by-step guide ?

Attachments

• IMAP.JPG
      IMAP.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 132

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Add a NEW connection. Click on email Account, then click next. You will need to click on the Setting Up Your Service Manually button, then click next. Complete your information and then select POP3 and complete the rest of the page, remember incoming is mail.comcast.net and outgoing is stmp.comcast.net. Also, click on browse to find your Outlook Data file. There should be at least 1 file with a .pst extension. This will be your emails contained in your inbox, outbox, etc. Click on the one file with the latest date.

Then you click on More Setting in the lower left corner. Once on this page, click on Outgoing Server and click the authorization button and make sure your outgoing uses the same setting for your incoming.

Next you will click on Advanced. Once there you will set your ports to incoming 995 and click on the encryption connection SSL button just below the 995 address. Outgoing port will be set to 465 and select SSL as that encryption. Now the thing that I suspect that made this all possible is the server timeout setting. Set it towards the middle of the slide scale to 4 min 40 sec.

At the bottom of that window you will see a section called delivery. Uncheck the box that allows the server to keep your messages for any number of days. This will prevent your computer from going back and forth looking for these messages.

Once you're done that click on the Test button to see if you connect to the server and if so, it will send a test message to your inbox.

Just a word of warning. Before I did this I deleted my IMAP setup and started anew. I don't know if you want to do that because you may not get back files if it doesn't work.

I got so fed up with the terrible server connections and bad experience, I just did it and was willing to lose everything I had saved. You may not be to that point, so be warned.

Good luck if you decide to go through with this.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'm going to do some migrating to local .pst files then backing them up before attempting. I do recall going through this process once before with no success at all, resorting back to IMAP and living with the dropouts.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm going to do some migrating to local .pst files then backing them up before attempting. I do recall going through this process once before with no success at all, resorting back to IMAP and living with the dropouts.

I too tried it several times in the past without success. But this time I did something different and it worked. Good luck with it. IMAP sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom