• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Sooo, last week I sold the Glock 26 that I never really bonded with in the two and a half years I had it. It shot great, was accurate, and very reliable with no malfunctions in the couple hundred rounds I put through it.

I just never liked it. It felt like some kid of plastic alien thing, and I think I'm just too used to revolvers. My whole life I've shot nothing but, like my old Ruger single six, my S&W 1980 model 63, my 8 shot model 63.

But a half hour after selling the Glock, I ended up leaving the gun show with a Ruger LCR in .22 mag. I fell in love with this gun the instant I picked it up from the table it felt so good in the hand. In the past week, I've had it out to the range three times, and I love it more every time. I just may buy a .22lr LCR as a companion piece. The Ruger LCR has a much more visible front sight to me than my old S&W model 60 that I sold as I could no longer see the front sight.

Now I'm wondering if I need a center fire at all. I don't hunt, I'm not a cop, have no aspirations of anti terrorist activities, and no fantasies of being I shootouts. My main use of a gun is a trail gun and house gun, and plinking at the range at defenseless soda cans.

My normal bedside gun has been my 8 shot 63, and my better half has her 8 shot 317. Now we're living in the low crime town Georgetown, Texas, and there is no feeling of being in danger like we had in Germantown Maryland. In the past year of having a license to carry a firearm, even the little NAA mini .22 revolver in the pocket seems a little too much.

So, now I question if a late 60's retired couple need much in the way of fire power? If the back door gets kicked in during the wee hours of the morning, and we have a brace of rimfire revolvers loaded and at hand, who is going to be that much a threat to us? As far as I know, we haven't angered any Mexican drug cartels, or hells angles.

I love this Ruger LCR!!!

MiddleRiverShootist

Jan 18, 2015
    Baltimore Co
    When it comes down to it... shoot what you like and feels good.. the rest just sit in the safe. I love my rimfires also! Enjoy,, my house gun is usually my High Standard double nine,, has been for years.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    22 Mag is an awesome round. If load it up with polymer tipped varmint rounds for maximum damage in a defensive situation. It may not make the biggest hole, but it makes a really big bang. When a bad guy hears the bang, sees the flash, and feels the sting, he will have no idea what he got shot with and will likely run away.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to be that guy : Your Firepower is Fine . Your available Stoping Power is under discussion.

Your current herd certainly doesn't leave you unarmed . I am outspoken in liking .22WMR ( from 4in ir longer bbl .)

But I jus can't quite bring myself to endorse being rimfire only .

Givin your starting point the two obvious options are : Your LCR needs a Big Brother more urgently than a little bro. Or your Single Six needs a Big Brother ( Blackhawk, or just to be obscure, a .32Mag Single Six).

If you gave an addendum that your Single Six was dual cylinder, that would move me 50% closer to signing off on all Rimfire.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    We can debate 22WMR as a defensive cartridge 8 ways to Sunday. It wouldn't be my choice personally. BUT...if you really love the LCR, sounds like you'll likely shoot it often. And if you do in fact shoot it often, the odds increase exponentially that you'll be able to put rounds center mass if you'd ever need to, both very quickly and very well.

Less likely with the larger bore nightstand gun, that like many or most never finds it's way out of a nightstand.

IF you know you're only interested in the 22WMR, AND IF you love it enough to shoot it often? I'd take your choice as being preferable each and every day of the week, and eight times eight on Sunday.

cb51

We can debate 22WMR as a defensive cartridge 8 ways to Sunday. It wouldn't be my choice personally. BUT...if you really love the LCR, sounds like you'll likely shoot it often. And if you do in fact shoot it often, the odds increase exponentially that you'll be able to put rounds center mass if you'd ever need to, both very quickly and very well.

Less likely with the larger bore nightstand gun, that like many or most never finds it's way out of a nightstand.

IF you know you're only interested in the 22WMR, AND IF you love it enough to shoot it often? I'd take your choice as being preferable each and every day of the week, and eight times eight on Sunday.

That's sort of the point. A few years ago I sold off a couple of the .38 revolvers that I never used anymore. Part of the problem was the old model 60 had such a thin front sight, I couldn't find it anymore. A family member gave a Glock 26 as a gift, but in two years I never liked the gun. Had great sights that I could see, but I didn't like the feel of the gun. It never got taken out of the gun case. My S&W 317 and new model 63 took turns being my bedside gun. They got used every week, sometimes twice. Living here in Texas now, they also got worn as trail guns when off hiking in the woods.

When I picked up the LCR, it felt so right in my hand, that I bought it on the spot and walked out the gun show with it. It's just like my J frame Smiths in that the grip feels natural in my hand. The better half and I go out tot he range together and plink at soda cans. It's one of the things we do as a hobby together. She has her .22 revolver and we chew up a bulk box of Federals every week. So if something goes bump in the night, I'll feel a lot better with one of my rimfires in my hand that I've just used just a few days before.

With the Ruger LCR or even my 8 shot 63, I don't feel under gunned because the better half is right behind me with her 8 shot revolver. She's just as good as me, maybe a little better.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 38 LCR has alot of bite. Alot. If one is comfortable with shooting the LCR rimfires, something like a Model 10 Smith or Ruger Security Six loaded with 38 Special, either with Pachmyer grips or similar would give a similar shooting feel. As a matter of fact, I bought a Model 63 for the express purpose of practicing fast double action with revolvers...mainly for pin and defensive shooting practice. Reason the smaller frame gives more recoil than a 22 midsized frame. As said previously, go with what feels good.

"So, now I question if a late 60's retired couple need much in the way of fire power? If the back door gets kicked in during the wee hours of the morning, and we have a brace of rimfire revolvers loaded and at hand, who is going to be that much a threat to us?"

Older and retired puts you in one of criminals' target audiences. Glad you are where you are and it is peaceful. I have a desire to more that way also If you get a midsized revolver you can shoot the 22 all you want, have fun with it, practice defensive shooting with it. Before going home shoot a couple cylinders of 38 Special through the bigger gun and call it a day. I have done that many times and still do.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'd feel better having a shotgun or a centerfire pistol for home defense.

But like you, I shoot .22 most of the time. It's so much cheaper. Shoot the heck out of your LCR and keep a big brother wheelgun around for serious work.

cb51

Here's your 22LR companion piece. A Ruger LCRx in 22LR, but now with a 3-inch barrel and 8 rounds capacity. Given how lightweight and weather proof the LCR pistols, seems like a great trail gun.

$370 from Grabagun ...

http://grabagun.com/ruger-lcrx-black-22lr-3-8-rd.html

I already have a S&W 317 for that role. I love the J frame Smiths. My general plinking gun is a 8 shot three inch 63 that is very accurate. Both take the same holsters and they go along very often.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Almost as much the mention of a trail gun as a HD gun, I wouldn't want to rely on a rimfire for defense against animals if I thought I needed a firearm for defense against much more than a rabid coon. A 22lr isn't going to stop a bear and isn't likely to stop a mountain lion. At least not in time to do you much good unless you get one brain shot.

For HD, yeah enough 22lr or some in the right spot can do the job. On the other hand, get someone high as a kite or just hopped up on adrenaline and even a heart shot might take a minute to take them down and a lot less likely to disable through a spine shot or even hit someone's heart. Sure, ANY firearmis better than none and likely presenting one, let alone taking a shot at a bad guy is probably going to send them running. However if they have a firearm, drugged and/or terminally determined a 22lr or even 22wmr handgun isn't much to stop them immediately and then dying 5 minutes later isn't a lot of comfort to me.

If you can't get comfortable with something higher power, than use what you are comfortable with. My 2 cents is if you feel you need a gun for HD or protection against animals (2 legged or 4), find something in centerfire for the extra power and the extra reliability.

I don't really keep firearms for HD, but if anything went bump in the night I'd either reach for my remington 870 12ga (loaded with 00) or my AR-15 pistol (loaded with 55gr gold dots). Both are almost certainly going to drop someone with a single center mass hit. And potentially immediately incapacitate them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    How to pick a gun for defense.

Two guiding principles of self defense are to be prepared to stop the threat.

To do that the following principles are applicable:

Bigger, deeper, more frequent holes incapacitate quicker however any gun is better than no gun.

For defense you should choose the largest caliber, highest capacity gun you can shoot accurately, reliably, and will practice with because you never know what the threat will be or when it will happen.

So the answer is:

If the .22's are your choice then they are what is best for you.

cb51

Almost as much the mention of a trail gun as a HD gun, I wouldn't want to rely on a rimfire for defense against animals if I thought I needed a firearm for defense against much more than a rabid coon. A 22lr isn't going to stop a bear and isn't likely to stop a mountain lion. At least not in time to do you much good unless you get one brain shot.

For HD, yeah enough 22lr or some in the right spot can do the job. On the other hand, get someone high as a kite or just hopped up on adrenaline and even a heart shot might take a minute to take them down and a lot less likely to disable through a spine shot or even hit someone's heart. Sure, ANY firearmis better than none and likely presenting one, let alone taking a shot at a bad guy is probably going to send them running. However if they have a firearm, drugged and/or terminally determined a 22lr or even 22wmr handgun isn't much to stop them immediately and then dying 5 minutes later isn't a lot of comfort to me.

If you can't get comfortable with something higher power, than use what you are comfortable with. My 2 cents is if you feel you need a gun for HD or protection against animals (2 legged or 4), find something in centerfire for the extra power and the extra reliability.

I don't really keep firearms for HD, but if anything went bump in the night I'd either reach for my remington 870 12ga (loaded with 00) or my AR-15 pistol (loaded with 55gr gold dots). Both are almost certainly going to drop someone with a single center mass hit. And potentially immediately incapacitate them.

There's no bears in the Texas Hill country. Some coyotes, maybe a rabid raccoon. Some rattle snakes so the first two chambers of my .22 revolver is loaded with snake shot. That leaves me with 6 CCI stingers to deal with any two legged varmints. Both me and the better half carry the 317 Smith, so between us we should be able to deal with whatever. If we take a trip to where there are bears, then we'll have bear spray. From what I've read, it actually works better than a gun.

I've actually been de-evolving my gun accumulation. I've never been into hunting, and I just don't want to have something I don't really have a use for, or use on a regular basis. The wifey has her .22 revolver and a .22 rifle, and I have a coulee of .22 revolvers and a rifle. That's all we really need for our life style. All we use our guns for is plinking once r twice a week. If some low life chooses to come through our back door then he has the both of us to deal with. We'll just to see what happens.:D

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    There's no bears in the Texas Hill country. Some coyotes, maybe a rabid raccoon. Some rattle snakes so the first two chambers of my .22 revolver is loaded with snake shot. That leaves me with 6 CCI stingers to deal with any two legged varmints. Both me and the better half carry the 317 Smith, so between us we should be able to deal with whatever. If we take a trip to where there are bears, then we'll have bear spray. From what I've read, it actually works better than a gun.

I've actually been de-evolving my gun accumulation. I've never been into hunting, and I just don't want to have something I don't really have a use for, or use on a regular basis. The wifey has her .22 revolver and a .22 rifle, and I have a coulee of .22 revolvers and a rifle. That's all we really need for our life style. All we use our guns for is plinking once r twice a week. If some low life chooses to come through our back door then he has the both of us to deal with. We'll just to see what happens.:D

Sounds to me like you just answered your own question. ;) Love the practicality of your choice too! Enjoy life down there!

cb51

Sounds to me like you just answered your own question. ;) Love the practicality of your choice too! Enjoy life down there!

We have been enjoying our life here with great gusto!

We arrived here in the end of October 2015, settled on our house on November 20th, 2015, and the blissful giddiness has not worn off yet. It's like we took a permanent vacation to a 1950's wonderland and we know we don't have to leave. It's like going back to the Ward and June Cleaver era, with polite well mannered people, conservative politics, and actually being able to walk out the door with a pistol in my pocket and being perfectly legal.

And no snow to shovel and heavy winter coats either. I wouldn't return to Maryland for all the tea in China. And I like tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom