• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    I follow Mike Glover (former Green Beret & CIA contractor) owner of Fieldcraft Survival and founder of American Contingency. In a recent video he said he loads his concealed carry and home defense pistols with FMJ (full metal jacket) ammunition. I commented on the video saying I was confused about this, but he or no one else responded. If self defense hollow point ammunition is made for self defense, what reason would a subject matter expert have for using FMJ ?

Another question, does anyone have any experience with the new Gen 2 Shield Arms 15 round magazines for the Glock 43X, taking magazine capacity from 10 to 15 rounds.

Thank you..

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am very far from a self defense expert and like you am confused. My thought though is Reliability? penetrating windshields? (does that make a diff for those that are LEO?)
    But then again I don't think too much about that cause I don't carry and my home defense pistol is a Glock 17 :)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Windshield penetration of FMJ vs HP is negligible all else being equal. There is a delta but it’s not gonna be noticeable to the average gaffer.

Pro tip…aim high when shooting into a vehicle thru windshield. Aim low when shooting out through a windshield. Moreso with pistol than carbine.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I think it depends on situation, season, caliber, etc.

I carry sometimes. Mostly a small 9mm with 124 gr std pressure HP. Rarely a really small .380 with fmj or hp.
    I think fmj more reliable and better penetration. Penetration for layers of clothing not windshields...I'm Joe Civilian.

I conducted my own unscientific test using LCP with several .380 hp from 10 feet, 2 layers of denim and milk jugs filled with water. Penetration was underwhelming.

Any option is better than harsh language.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

Attachments

• 37IgC9B.jpg
      37IgC9B.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 835
    • 4824d9842e5c8e20cfe6bbad98d8d29d.jpeg
      4824d9842e5c8e20cfe6bbad98d8d29d.jpeg
      28.2 KB · Views: 836

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In a non-military/international convention scenario there's little use for a FMJ unless you want pure penetration above all else. A friend...unfortunately now passed on...was a LEO and instructor who was a proponent of the larger caliber pistol rounds such as the .45ACP...carried FMJ in his 1911 pistols. When asked why...he said "Because they work!" Admittedly...this was before the days of reliably expanding hollow point bullets and pistols that would reliably feed them. He was also an acknowledged combat master and the best I ever witnessed handling a gun.

In today's world JHP ammo is really only best for practice outside of specific scenarios.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    There's an argument for FMJ in marginal calibers like .380, as an effort to get adequate penetration.

Hornady Critical Duty is designed to address this. The plastic plug gives it some FMJ characteristics while allowing it to open like a HP

I think this would be very situational. I wouldn't want to use full metal jackets for home or building defense due to the possibility of over penetration.

On the other hand full metal jacket ammunition has been used for parts of 3 centuries and has killed millions. I would only use it if it was the only thing that I had and right now considering how hard some other rounds are to find and at the cost I'm sure there are probably many people who don't have much of a choice. Especially all the first time gun owners who have purchased their firearm and ammo in the last 12 to 18 months.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    FMJ has been used for many years and has killed millions...primarily in the military scenario where its use was mandated by international convention and for reliability reasons as well as cost. In the non-military scenario it certainly has its use and will continue to. In the end it still comes down to there's no magic "golden" bullet. The technology will continue to change and improve...as always.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Subject matter experts occasionally give bad advice. Garandthumb said it was so his zero in practice wouldn't shift in a defensive situation at distance. Just use hsts or gold dots

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Not intending to get into your business but this piqued my curiosity. Does JHP command a premium over manufacturing/wholesale cost vs. FMJ?

Yes, very much so. Even the various types of JHP. I pay a premium for HST1 over Hydra-Shok for example.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Not intending to get into your business but this piqued my curiosity. Does JHP command a premium over manufacturing/wholesale cost vs. FMJ?

Not to get into Ammo Jon's business either...but just because something costs more to buy wholesale doesn't necessarily translate into increased profits...the laws of supply and demand still apply. Something purchased and sold for less can often translate into higher profit margins...the higher priced but lower profit margin products might provide cash flow but not necessarily more profit.

It all comes down to supply and demand and what someone is willing to pay for a product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom