• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    This gun sat in the ground for 100 years and I'm curious about getting it restored. Clearly no interest in it being functional, but I'd like for it to be at least partially restored so I can properly mount it for display, since it's been part of the family (even if buried) for 150 years.
    Any suggestions at all would be appreciated

view

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Please elaborate on it being "in the ground for 100 years".

The most I would do is remove any active rust and wipe it down with an oily rag.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    Family story about how my great-great-grandfather took the gun away from a son who had jammed the gun with too much wadding and threw it under the family farm house's porch. Dad heard the story growing up and his uncle got up the nerve to crawl under there and dig around and eventually found it. Kind of neat and seems like a tall tale (My father did walk uphill bothways in the snow to school all summer) but have had enough family confirm the story that it all seems to check out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , even allowing for a substantial family legand fudge factor , at first glance it seems in remarkably good condition . Of course with the caveat that we can't tell the condition of the wood from the picture .

What do you think is your goal here ? Obviously , restoring to firing condition isn't on the table . Hypothetically " restore " as in substantially refinish , could be done such that it would look , say twice as pretty as currently . But since the amazing thing about it is the Family Connection , your best course is simply to stabilize in current condition .

Recently there were articles and press releases where the Buffalo Bill Historical Center & Museum ( home of the Winchester Collection of firearms and factory records ) was contracted by the NPS to stabilize the famous " Winchester '73 leaning against a Tree in the Desert " , to be suitable for display by the Park Service .

I didn't memorize all the details , but the Museum went into a lot of detail about the cleaning generally , and the current state of the art stabilization treatments . I'm too Luddite to link , but a quick google should quickly turn it up .

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Dumb question...is it still loaded with the "too much wadding"? It looks like a muzzle-loader and as I am sure you are aware quite a few of these show up with loads left in them. You or someone should check. Interesting find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom