• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I never said use ball. I said poking enough holes in the chest cavity will yield results. That is true for FMJ or JHP. Hell, that holds true even if you only have a pen at your disposal.

But I do agree with '6 rounds is only enough to get away'.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Proficiency, it helps. :)

Most people don't put the work in to become proficient with a pocket pistol, they can be great shots with a larger pistol, but go to shit with a pocket piece.

Certainly true. If I do say so myself, I'm not bad at all with a larger format pistol - though I need a lot more work on handling under stressful circumstances. But I've also put hundreds of rounds through my older Walther PP (which now sleeps peacefully in the safe!) and my current pocket gun, the LCP2. I find that new Ruger to be surprisingly pleasant to shoot, and I find I'm making pretty damn good groups at seven yards, even with my weak hand and rushing it.

But in full-on adrenaline mode? I know I'm not as frosty as a pro or someone who has the time for lots and lots of work on it. So I sure as hell want whatever is coming out of that tiny little barrel to mean as much business as possible when it connects. I don't consider placement and performance to be mutually exclusive things. But I've watched enough video of professionally trained people with full-sized weapons missing the proverbial side of the barn while under stress ... to know that I won't be in "Zen guy at the range" mode, skill-wise, if SHTF. Hate to admit it, but's it's true. So when fairly formal studies show that there are some loads/projectiles that are better than others, I pay attention.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I never said use ball. I said poking enough holes in the chest cavity will yield results. That is true for FMJ or JHP. Hell, that holds true even if you only have a pen at your disposal.

But I do agree with '6 rounds is only enough to get away'.

Fair, and it wasn't a shot at you, just a general comment on a general internet attitude.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Though in most cases with these small pocket .380s, you've got something like 5+1. Given the short sight picture, the skew towards utility at close range and the rest, you'll be lucky to get more than a couple off (and connect usefully with them) under many circumstances. So it's worth examining which recipe will do the most work when you might only get one or two where they really need to go.

I will say that reading this thread (and following it down the various rabbit holes it presents) has me re-thinking what rides around in my LCP2. Has been Gold Dots. Might switch to Ye Olde Hydroshocks. Need to put a wider variety through that particular gun and see what's what.

I sold my LCP and regret it. I did lots of reliability tests, lametably, I found the following: It was 100% reliable when not "topped off." Load from the mag, g2g. If I added that +1, it wasn't always as true. That first round (technically 1st shot, 2nd round) would often ftf. I disagree about poke lots of holes and use ball. 6 rds of 380 is only enough to get away. Multiple attackers, drugs, or a determined attacker (read: terrorist or active shooter), and I want my rounds to be the best I can send, sent to the best place I can deliver them.

My g42 carries 7+1 thanks to MagGuts... thats 8 in the wings when it gets employed... And... no hiccups thus far in feeding or firing after hundreds of rounds.

And with an extra 7 round sleeve or two... there are enough rounds of Critical Defense to get away...

One nice things about the Hornady CD ammo... is that in areas which ban HP ammo (like New Jerky)... it gives HP performance but is NOT legally considered to be HP, since from the manufacturer, the point is NOT hollow when it leaves the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom