Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:41 AM #91
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
Back in the early to mid 80s I was becoming proficient with 44 Magnum handguns. I also had a Ruger 44 Carbine. Studying the ballistic tables I realized the range gains I made with the added velocity was not great. So I reasoned why carry the carbine? Sold it. For games their great. If I truly need a carbine then I need a rifle cartridge also.

That said, I still like this Ruger PCC.
Much depends on what each is compared to. Have a lever PCC in 357, can top 1500lb-ft of energy with handloads, can push 125 and 158gr bullets about as hard as 7.62X39, friends daughter took a deer with it. While the same load can be fired in my 4" 686, it loses several hundred FPS, and is BRUTAL to try to control, flash and blast is ridiculous, but in the carbine it''s actually kinda tame. Not to mention I have 10rds vs 6, and the longer radius and more stable platform make it FAR easier to shoot past 50 yards.

In the case of 9mm PCCs, they are unlikely to gain much if any velocity from a longer barrel compared to a full size pistol, but the greater stability, simple manual of arms, and longer sight radius(with irons) help any shooter. While competitive matches might not be an exact measurement of defensive use, most anyone will post faster times, and fewer misses with a PCC vs a pistol. Only real downside is close quarters or concealability, but for utility, they are awesome, and can expand on the abilities of a handgun without having to keep separate ammo and mags.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:33 PM #92

Agreed, all of that is true. Good points to have made. For a woods hunts makes sense as well. But the range due to exterior ballistics is the major sticking point for me. Preference.
Old January 8th, 2018, 02:53 PM #93
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
Agreed, all of that is true. Good points to have made. For a woods hunts makes sense as well. But the range due to exterior ballistics is the major sticking point for me. Preference.
Of course a rifle caliber is usually going to be more powerful, and especially 9mm in a carbine won't really improve upon handgun ballistics, but the platform does extend the range far more than most think. a 9mm PCC with decent ammo is more than capable to use at 200 yards, still has about the same energy(still more monentum) than a 380ACP does at the muzzle, and a 40" holdover is nothing, simliar drop to 308 at 400 yards. subguns have been used out that far since they came on the battlefield. The greater stability, fast and accurate rapid fire, and ability to mount larger optics make them useable at distances where handguns really arent. IMO much of the 300BO's sucess is in it's ability to walk both sides of the Rilfe/PCC line, with the benefits of both with full power and subsonic ammo. PCCs also have benefits over rifle cal rifles, generally lighter blast/recoil, quieter suppression, and far more compact mags and ammo. In many ways the PCC niche has been recognized, and ideal for some since the Volcanic repeating rifle came out over 150 years ago.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM #94
Oddball caliber fan

Oddball caliber fan

With my subsonic rounds, I would rather shoot a 9mm PCC versus a pistol just for the noise factor. It is pretty much .22 LR noise level. When I load up my 24" 1860 in 44-40 up with Trailboss powder, it is really quiet, same with my 32-20. If you haven't shot one for more than a few rounds, you're really missing out.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:49 PM #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
With my subsonic rounds, I would rather shoot a 9mm PCC versus a pistol just for the noise factor. It is pretty much .22 LR noise level. When I load up my 24" 1860 in 44-40 up with Trailboss powder, it is really quiet, same with my 32-20. If you haven't shot one for more than a few rounds, you're really missing out.
Which is a big advantage of a PCC over a RCC. A 14.5 pinned PCC or 16” compared to something in .223 is MUCH quieter.

Also a 9mm PCC does gain about 200FPS depending on the load, which is nothing to sneeze at (about 30% more energy).

No a 9mm PCC is not ideal, but it could make a good HD gun. 32 rounds of heavy weight 9mm in a carbine length barrel ain’t too bad in tight confines for noise and if you want a rig, get a Glock handgun to go with and the mags are interchangeable.

Though ideally I’d go .45ACP for that. Plinking and “only PCC I own” I’d rather 9mm
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM #96
SPEAK ENGLISH

SPEAK ENGLISH

Freedom Armory has one for $699
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:28 PM #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREHAWK View Post
Greedy bastards!!!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:05 PM #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREHAWK View Post
Let'em keep it. Street price will be around $550 soon enough. Not today, but soon.
DutchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:25 PM #99
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

All these new hotnesses from Ruger...this, the AR mag American, precision rimfire...They've already gotten soooo much of my money...but it looks like they'll be getting the rest of it this year.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchV View Post
Let'em keep it. Street price will be around $550 soon enough. Not today, but soon.
One of our IP's is all ready offering them for $525.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...ight=Ruger+pcc

Eventually they will be under $500. That's what I am waiting for! I own a High Point 995TS and it throws one hell of a group @ 50 yards with open sights even with my old eyes. The only problem with the High Point is the proprietary mags. The Ruger PCC accepting the Glock mags along with the take down is the shit!!! An accurate semi auto MP40! Hell yeah!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles