• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    What should I expect to pay for a Shooter grade M1917 Enfield in the original military configuration? I'm not looking for a pristine collector grade firearm but I definitely don't want a sporterized model.

In addition, What should I look for when purchasing a M1917 Enfield online and in person?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    at Harrisburg they were approx $650-$800 depending on condition.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For a shooter grade rifle I would be concerned with the bore/chamber condition as well as the stock in its entirety. Make sure the stock has not been cut or damaged. M17's are out there plenty but are generally climbing in value as are replacement parts. I would expect 5 to 700 for something decent and even more with original finish matching parts.
    Sported rifles with uncut barrels and drilled/altered receivers are more expensive to sort out vs a rifle in original form and are an unwise initial purchase.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    at Harrisburg they were approx $650-$800 depending on condition.

This. Lee is spot on, matches what I've been seeing. Budget about $750 for a decent shooter grade example like an ex-Greek Century import. Really nice, non-import marked examples of Model 1917s are bringing above $1k these days. Traditionally the red-headed step child to the Springfield 1903, the Model 1917 has finally found respect in the collecting world.
    BTW, if you're a fan of the M1917 check out the TV movie The Lost Battalion. The story of the 77th Div in WWI when they were trapped in the Argonne forest for nearly a week before Allied forces pushed the Germans back and relieved them. The armorer for this one did a good job and the M1917 is well represented on film as it was in real life.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Rule #1. Do not base any argument, opinion, assertion exclusively on Internet sources, especially Wikipedia.

There was/is no such thing as an American Enfield. That is a made up, bastardized collector’s term.

There is a British/Canadian Pattern 1914, sometimes referred to as a Pattern 1914 Enfield. And there is a US Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917, sometimes referred to as a Model 1917.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Rule #1. Do not base any argument, opinion, assertion exclusively on Internet sources, especially Wikipedia.

There was/is no such thing as an American Enfield. That is a made up, bastardized collector’s term.

There is a British/Canadian Pattern 1914, sometimes referred to as a Pattern 1914 Enfield. And there is a US Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917, sometimes referred to as a Model 1917.

Page 43, American Rifleman August 2018. Correct or not, I think the moniker is going to stick:innocent0

1536369507793924326705.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I guess I should have gone to Harrisburg. I don't think I've seen one that wasn't chopped up for less than $800 in a long time. :shrug: I'm pretty sure I see the exact same ones with $900+ price tags at most of the local shows...usually from the same vendors :rolleyes:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Page 43, American Rifleman August 2018. Correct or not, I think the moniker is going to stick:innocent0

View attachment 241838

Enough with the emojis. The American Rifleman? Lol. That’s like citing to Iraqveteran888888888.

People call Mosin-Nagants “Nagants”. That doesn’t make them right. The Baltimore Sun has a bunch of reporters who spew a lot of BS. The fact that they write articles doesn’t make them right.

Part of being in this hobby is giving and paying respect to the weapons. I don’t subscribe to, “well, my great grand pappy fought in Belgium and he called it a K98.”

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I call myself Albert Einstein. :shrug:

Look, my friend, there is no such thing as a US Enfield. You can post pics of whatever articles you want, but I am right. I’m not trying to be a jerk but don’t argue stupid points.

I am not trying to say you are wrong. You are right: none of the government nomenclature for that rifle (M1917; U.S. Rifle, cal. 30, Model of 1917; or any other permutation) includes the word, "Enfield." My stupid point is that, wrong or not, a lot of people are (and most likely have been) calling these rifles some version of an "American Enfield." You are right, they are wrong...but they are still doing it in droves.

Is it right to call a "US Rifle, Cal 30 M1" a "Garand," or a "US Model 1884" a "Trapdoor?" People do it :shrug: (and many of us probably pronounce "Garand" incorrectly...which is kind of a shame because it is a person's name:o...but that's what we do:innocent0)

Reputable or not, American Rifleman surely reaches a much larger audience than our beloved MDS...for now. This misnomer is being spread far wider than you could ever hope to correct it here. Rifleman has a "Readers Write" section. You could email them at publications@nrahq.org, and they just might print your correction. I've seen it happen before. :shrug:

I'll give you one more: "You are right."

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The British called the Lend Lease 1917 rifles "Springfields."

Someone should straighten them out!

---------------------------------------

Frankly it's wrong to call any rifle a "Springfield." There's a whole slew of them, from muzzle loaders to Garands.

And what's this I hear about .30-30 Winchester? No such thing! Only .30 WCF.

And there is no State of Rhode Island, neither. It's the "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." Only a dunce would call it anything else.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Whatever one may call it, they are terrific
    shooters...no, they don’t have the “swing”
    or the “zing” of the ‘03, but they settle
    right into your shoulder, put the round
    where you point, AND the will swallow SIX
    in the mag with one in the chamber
    (Remember, they were originally designed
    for use with the bulky .303 cartridge, not
    the sleeker, more amazing
    30-06 [Insert image of genuflection
    here. Ed.])

Hard to find one that doesn’t have one or
    more mixed manufacturer parts...but one
    in the blue is a thing of beauty...IMHO.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Wasn’t the mod 1917 made on enfield lpattern 14 machinery that was in the hands of american makers like winchester and remington who were making the pattern 14 rifles for the brits use in wwi. When they either abandoned the contract or finished the quota the us used the machines to make the m 1917, chambering it for the new 30’06 cartridge and not the british .303? Perhaps that’s why so many refer to this rifle as an enfield. I am looking at a winchester pattern 14 and an eddystone m 1917 side by side, and they are very similar. Nearly identical ( this winchester has volley sights front and rear). The eddystone is a low serial no 5xxx and the winchester is about 1” longer than the eddystone. They are nice rifles. The 1917 s were very often restocked and rebarreled after the war.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wasn’t the mod 1917 made on enfield lpattern 14 machinery that was in the hands of american makers like winchester and remington who were making the pattern 14 rifles for the brits use in wwi. When they either abandoned the contract or finished the quota the us used the machines to make the m 1917, chambering it for the new 30’06 cartridge and not the british .303? Perhaps that’s why so many refer to this rifle as an enfield. I am looking at a winchester pattern 14 and an eddystone m 1917 side by side, and they are very similar. Nearly identical ( this winchester has volley sights front and rear). The eddystone is a low serial no 5xxx and the winchester is about 1” longer than the eddystone. They are nice rifles. The 1917 s were very often restocked and rebarreled after the war.

Correct. There were also significantly more manufactured and deployed in US service than the ‘03. Post WWI, probably because of Springfield Armory and also that the ‘03 has better measured course of fire sights (but not practical accuracy) the US Army decided to keep the ‘03 and surplus the 1917.

The rest is history.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    When you think about it the Model 1917 deserved a better fate in history than it got. In the right place at the right time it served our Doughboys very well indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom