Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I didn't purposely go out and buy a generator. I have a 5th wheel trailer that has a generator in it sitting in the driveway so when we have power outages, we just move into the trailer until the power returns.;)

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Alcohol does not necessarily suck moisture into the fuel; in fact, it is used to absorb water that's already there, and make it mix with the fuel.

The downside of alcohol is the damage it does to rubber seals, and apparently plastic boat fuel tanks. The auto gas used in aviation has to be alcohol-free to be both legal and safe.

please do some research on what you just said about alcohol and fuel and boat problems before you go off posting.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I walked through Lowe's just to see how much they were...they were sold out. I was surprised...I thought even in the face of a hurricane, no one would have $6-700 laying around for a panic-buy.

boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    MSRP is $1,149.95
    http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IKN
    They can be had for less than $1000, but I paid $1208 out the door IIRC because I like to overpay for large purchases.
    Nah, because I failed to plan, I should have planned to fail. That said, I'm ready (somewhat) for next time.
    Anyone here who doesn't have a generator but realizes a SHTF scenario could play out at anytime, especially with our earthquake and hurricane, relatively minor as they may have been, should think again.

Ahhhh...I got the Camo.

I actually picked it up for a friend. The Camo price is a lot higher....sheeesh

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    http://www.sunrisetool.com/proddetail.php?prod=Honda-EU2000I

HondaEU2000.lg.jpg

I've never ordered from them, looks legit, never know though...

$929.99
    Free shipping
    Sunrise Tool

Mr H

Banana'd
    Ahhhh...I got the Camo.

I actually picked it up for a friend. The Camo price is a lot higher....sheeesh

A camo generator??

I would want to be able to find it when I need it!!

:D

Seriously, though... I see the importance of them, and even the wife is interested in the concept of a NatGas whole-house setup.

I'll be looking at something in the 3500w range as an all-purpose "starter" unit. But, no way I'm paying $1500 for the privilege, just because it's a 'situation'.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    I remembered the 5 days I was without power during Isabel and pulled the trigger. I ordered it on Friday and got it on Saturday from Amazon.com. I got a 5kw Briggs & Stratton (hope it's a good one. Though, nothing can touch a Honda from what I've been reading)
    I used it for an hour and then loaned it to my brother who is in one of those unfortunate areas that is still without power. My power has been off and on, but atleast I have some. :clap:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Friday morning I decided that it might be a good ideal to get one, but first I had to take my truck to get a new battery and then found out not only was my battery old but the altenator wasn't working very well, so it was about 11:00 when I finally got to Lowes they said they had been sold out for 2 days and Monday they were expecting a shipment. Oh well, I didn't lose power at all, but I think I'm going to get one just in case. I think I want to get a propane genny, so I don't have all the problems associated with a gas storage.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I bought a Champion 7000 watt generator prior to the storm. I used it for 5 hours yesterday, changed the oil as required in the break-in procedure and refilled the gas tank. Less than 20 mins later the power came back on. It had no problem powering my fridge, sump pump, 57" tv, blu-ray player and laptop computer. I use a UPS on the tv and laptop to condition the line.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The wife has wanted a whole house generator to protect the meat and veggies. I balanced it aginst the risk of total loss and said no. After36 hours of no power at home, I have lost the argument. She will be calling this week.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Nope...already have one(s)...power where we live goes all the time, you could blow on it and the power would go out, neighbor to the left of me has power and the one across from them have power but us and bout 30 others lose it, transformer is in the middle of a field...so that's the reason for the Genny, plus hook my other neighbor up to it (older couple with health issues)

-Rock

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've been using a battery bank and an inverter for emergency use but I've had it with pepco.

We lost power 6 hours BEFORE the storm arrived, got it back 2 hours before the storm, then lost it again an hour later and it stayed out till late sunday night.

I'm averaging 2-3 days without power twice a year right now. Ridiculous......

I'm shopping for a honda right now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom