• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Keep a hammer in the truck , works surprisingly well and quiet

lmao came here to say the same thing.

In all seriousness, does anyone remember the video of that cop shooting the groundhog? That's what this brings to mind...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Keep a hammer in the truck , works surprisingly well and quiet

assuming it's not too far off the road and you won't get stuck, guess an option is to just run it over (again).

I carry a SpyderCo serrated edge kn1fe just in case. Dangerous also as injured deer may impale you with an antler.

I carry a 12 inch Bowie in the truck just for this reason. It's super sharp and will cut through their neck like a hot knife through butter. It gets messy if you can't cut away from you. :rolleyes:

My buddy did it with a tire iron on the side of Rt. 66 in VA a few years back. It was pretty badly injured and a bunch of people were just standing there looking at it doing nothing. He got out of his truck and finished it off quickly.

I keep the hammer under the front seat.

I carry a sledge and tell some bad Gallagher jokes...
    Good Stuff. I have taken out more animals without a firearm than with! But not a deer yet.

I remember while working on a race horse farm my buddy missed 3 shots at a ground hog with a .222, out of rounds I ran across the field and got him with a lead shank chain. Funny stuff. Oh the memories...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Driving home a few minutes ago in Bel Air and a van two cars ahead of me hit a doe pretty bad, it was awful watching it suffer, kept trying to get up but atleast one leg was badly injured so it just continued to flop around.
    My gf was begging me to get out of the car and humanely euthanize it with my handgun (her father is a big hunter in upper PA), as she cringed seeing it in pain. This kinda irked me as I sit there and see this poor deer struggle and I went on a 5min speel on why I hate this state and the way society is today (she leans left so made her feel awful I’m sure). That I couldn’t do so because.. no real reason besides guns are scary and we live in a state of 60% +/- idiots who would frown upon that more than seeing a deer in severe pain while it takes police 20mins plus to arrive

How is this typically handled? Call local PD, officer arrives and dispatch the animal with a firearm?

I could not find much in the way of a definitive answer regarding say a CC holder or citizen with a long gun in the vehicle, or how the laws may very from county to county..
    Still really aggravated and feel awful right now after seeing that, kinda ruined my Saturday night to be honest.

I use a knife.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Some years back I hit a fork horn buck with my little Civic. He almost, almost came through the windshield and onto me. He ended up thrashing in the ditch and I was OK. Curiously, I was on the way home from the range and in a rural part of MoCo. I called 911 and explained the situation and that I could put it out of it's misery. Dispatcher said absolutely not! She would call it in and a county cop would come and finish it off, but that this was not his highest priority and it might take a long time. Eventually, the buck just died. It was very aggravating.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    I mean this is why I at least keep a sharp knife in the glove box. Lots of stupid deer between AA and CalCo

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Where y'all driving that you see so many deer still alive following a shot from the family station wagon? I have seen exactly one actually hit (and it ran off before anyone could end its "misery"). I see dozens each year on the side of the road, just not still kicking - and I drive about 30k miles/year... Is the herd that much thinner on the eastern shore?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I LOVE this story from that thread a number of years ago. I laughed when I read it then, and I laughed re-reading it this morning. :D

I have sliced a throat open on a deer on rt 24 when a woman in a Jetta took one to the grill. I have also shot one in the head with a .45 on rt 213 when a dirty hippie in a mini van wacked a 6 point.

I was driving back from eastern neck Island from a deer hunt and I see the flashers on this van on the side of the road. Well this guy comes running out in the road he is crying and just wacked out over hitting this deer. He said "I called 911," and said to send an ambulance!

Well I walk over and sure as hell this 6 point is laying in a ditch thrashing around . I walk back to the truck take the old colt out walk over and shoot him in the ear. This guy freaks the fvck out!! He was calling me a murderer and a there was an ambulance on the way.

As I unload the gun and put it in the truck a cop pulls up and the hippy runs up and starts yelling at him how I am a killer! Well I started gutting!!

The officer comes over said hi, and thanked me for putting the deer down and ending its suffering. The hippie is crying on the hood of his van!! the officer helped me put the deer in the back of my truck. When I pulled away the hippie was still there looking at the gut pile.

About 15 years ago a lady hit a deer right in front of me. She was flipping out screaming, panicing, etc..... telling me how much she loved animals. Couldnt believe she hit this poor deer. She calls the police with her cell phone. The deer was suffering. I was on my way home from a muzzleloder hunt at my parents. I grabbed my muzzleloader, put a cap in it and put the deer down. Lady was totally flipping out. The cop shows up and says who put this deer down? I said i did. The cop says thank you very much.

15 years makes a lot of difference...

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    Driving home a few minutes ago in Bel Air and a van two cars ahead of me hit a doe pretty bad, it was awful watching it suffer, kept trying to get up but atleast one leg was badly injured so it just continued to flop around.
    My gf was begging me to get out of the car and humanely euthanize it with my handgun (her father is a big hunter in upper PA), as she cringed seeing it in pain. This kinda irked me as I sit there and see this poor deer struggle and I went on a 5min speel on why I hate this state and the way society is today (she leans left so made her feel awful I’m sure). That I couldn’t do so because.. no real reason besides guns are scary and we live in a state of 60% +/- idiots who would frown upon that more than seeing a deer in severe pain while it takes police 20mins plus to arrive

How is this typically handled? Call local PD, officer arrives and dispatch the animal with a firearm?

I could not find much in the way of a definitive answer regarding say a CC holder or citizen with a long gun in the vehicle, or how the laws may very from county to county..
    Still really aggravated and feel awful right now after seeing that, kinda ruined my Saturday night to be honest.
    Small state, I drove past that exact scene

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    When I lived in VA, I was on a one way road that had probably an 8' slope on either side that was pretty steep; the car in front of me hit a pretty big buck. It was lying there in the road while I was standing next to the driver, contemplating on the best way to drag the body off the road, when it started to thrash around. I started to go through the thought process of shooting it, calling the police, etc. All of a sudden it pops up on all fours, stared at us with I'm sure a "WTF happened" running through it's head then it bounded off in to the woods.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have spine shot a few deer and have used my 4" Gerber knife between the ribs and find the heart and 'wiggle' the knife around. WAAAY easier than slicing through the neck.
    Tried that years ago on an 8-point who was on the ground, waving his head... should have knifed him.
    A humane kill is what we seek.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    In my agency it varies from no problem to no way. My Sgt is a no way kind of guy. I've had to get creative a few times. The paperwork is easier than writing a warning for speeding but for some reason some of the bosses get uptight about it. I have also had opportunities to let others handle it as they saw fit but with body cameras that isn't even a conversation I'm willing to have.

There was a midnight shift Lt. in the CD who put a couple injured ones down over the years on or near Pratt. He was known to hunt a lot.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Carry a spear in your trunk.

You never know when you may need it. And you don't need to get too close to the hooves to use it.

Grrrunnnt... grunnnt... pant pant... grunt... snort... Lana zug zug :D... :innocent0
    HiRes.jpg

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Called Charles County Sherrif about a sick raccoon. It couldn’t walk straight, was falling over, having spasms and foaming at the mouth. I was in a work vehicle and on the clock besides not wanting any raccoon fluids anywhere near me.
    Charles County arrived and said she was not going to shoot the raccoon. She didn’t think my request to shoot it with her gun was a good idea either.
    Her solution was to use her car with the siren to herd it off the road. Out of sight, out of mind.
    BTW the raccoon looked to be headed straight toward a subdivision.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    alled Charles County Sherrif about a sick raccoon. It couldn’t walk straight, was falling over, having spasms and foaming at the mouth. I was in a work vehicle and on the clock besides not wanting any raccoon fluids anywhere near me.
    Charles County arrived and said she was not going to shoot the raccoon. She didn’t think my request to shoot it with her gun was a good idea either.
    Her solution was to use her car with the siren to herd it off the road. Out of sight, out of mind.
    BTW the raccoon looked to be headed straight toward a subdivision.

UUUGhhh that Racoon would be rabid, should have been put down immediately.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    a few years ago, working in the Arizona desert, we had a new guy show up to the work site. He was just checking in for the day and filling out paperwork. As he left we told him to watch out for deer. Not 7 minutes after he left we got a call, "a deer hit my car". We said, "you mean you hit a deer." he said no, the deer ran head first into his driver side door. My sup pulls this 10 or 12" Mick Dundee looking blade from his desk and we haul ass down the road. He getting all excited about how we are gonna have venison on the grill tonight!

We get there and the deer is out cold in the middle of the road. My sup straddles it, lifting the head to give it a clean slice and as he touched the blade to its throat it jumped up, bucking my sup onto his ass and it ran off into the brush. Funniest damn thing I ever saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom