• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Wonder away. ;)

The interpretation by our gubment overlords is that a belt is an ammunition feeding device.

What.? Belt is not a magazine it’s same as the clip. It just links the rounds together.
    For M249 you can order and receive thousands of links and as many of “turds” as you want

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wonder away. ;)

The interpretation by our gubment overlords is that a belt is an ammunition feeding device.

Cite please, because there is no current definition in state statute that defines a belt as an ammunition feeding device.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    “DETACHABLE MAGAZINE” MEANS AN AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE THAT CAN BE REMOVED READILY FROM A FIREARM WITHOUT REQUIRING DISASSEMBLY OF THE FIREARM ACTION OR WITHOUT THE USE OF A TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR CARTRIDGE.“

How is opening the top cover disassembly? And if it is allowed, why won’t anyone ship one into Maryland. For Pete’s sake. What are you attacking me? I’m not the enemy. Go after the MGA.:sad20:

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    No one is attacking you, we are simply asking for the the belt fed specific citation

Belts feed ammunition. Ammunition feeding devices over 10 rounds...

If it isn’t clear, maybe guns aren’t for you. :sad20:

This is how the anti gun people win. We spend all our energy fighting with each other over nonsense. You guys are right. Belts aren’t ammunition feeding devices because the definition in the law doesn’t say belt. :lol2:

Good luck with that. We’ll see how many you can get shipped into the state.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I had this arguement with grabagun over sending belts with a RPD. Told them maryland had a magazine capacity limit and a magazine is defined as a device that feeds ammunition into a firearm. A belt doesnt feed the firearm, the firearm feeds the belt. The operator agreed with me but said it was their policy. I ordered it anyways and it arrived with the belts. I was surprised.
    If i had a plate a spaghetti i was eating id be feeding the spaghetti to myself not the other way around unless i put the plate in a clay thrower. Then that would be the feeding device.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    “DETACHABLE MAGAZINE” MEANS AN AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE THAT CAN BE REMOVED READILY FROM A FIREARM WITHOUT REQUIRING DISASSEMBLY OF THE FIREARM ACTION OR WITHOUT THE USE OF A TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR CARTRIDGE.“

How is opening the top cover disassembly? And if it is allowed, why won’t anyone ship one into Maryland. For Pete’s sake. What are you attacking me? I’m not the enemy. Go after the MGA.:sad20:

This is how the anti gun people win. We spend all our energy fighting with each other over nonsense. You guys are right. Belts aren’t ammunition feeding devices because the definition in the law doesn’t say belt. :lol2:

Belts do not feed ammunition. They simply connect multiple round together. They are not capable of moving/feeding without some external mechanism.

While opening the top cover is not disassembly, it does not remove the ammunition feeding device from the firearm either. The feeding device (the parts that actually move/feed the rounds) is still attached to the firearm. The fact that the feeding part cannot be readily removed is why a belt-fed firearm does not have a detachable magazine.

As for why certain stores do not ship belts, it is based on ignorance. They simply assume that anything that can feed more than 10 rounds is prohibited from being sold. The requirement only applies to removable feeding devices not fixed ones.

Look in the mirror to understand this.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

no one was trying to argue with you. Reality has nothing to do with how the law is written or interpreted. (example:. "shall not be infringed" is interpreted as "The NFA, HQLs, and May Issue aren't infringements, even though they totally infringe")

you opinion is valid, but not legally binding. hence why people were asking for reference. e.g. saying "GunBum from MDS said the belt was an ammunition feeding device" to a judge, jury, lawyer or police officer will most likely get a blank stare.

Long story short, it isn't personal.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The cloth belt is no more a "feeding Device" than the bullet loops on a cowboy holster. Each hold ammunition, in one case a mechanism in the firearm feeds the ammo and in the other case the cowboy's fingers do.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Beltfed rifles get shipped and sold in Maryland as easily as a magazine fed one. There is currently one for sale in the for sale section here, and there are several Industry Partners that sell them without issue.

BTW, lifting a cover to INSERT a belt INTO the feeding mechanism and ACTION of the firearm is, for all intent and purpose, disassembly (opening) of the action. MSI had this discussion several times with MSP, and MSP has said that there is no definition in State Statute that ammunition belt fits into.

Shooter6

Apr 29, 2020
    thanks guys- im surprised to have generated this responses so quickly on an old thread.

@Threeman - you are correct- was just trying to figure out legality for possession. Last scenario i could think of: I assume just giving a belt to someone would be illegal? or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom