Are dealers ripping us off on transfer fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I saw a news report from a gun dealer who had to increase his insurance becasue of the amount of guns he had stored waiting for the ND, like 75 of them. I don't blame dealers from trying to ease the cost of storage by upping the transfer ante and hopefully it will come down with the backlog. But don't hold your breath. Once a cost is accepted(like the price of gas) it becomes the new bar on the graph.

In the near term I agree. Let's not forget that bubbles do burst. The housing market is a recent great example.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    lets look at this a different way.

In your job, from time to time you are asked to to something that is a pia with little profit. You try like hell to not to do it or pass it off to some one else lower on the food chain. If you have control over the cost of the job you over bid the job in hopes that the costumer will change their mind.

If you have never been in this situation then money is not an issue and just pay for the service. Ask daddy for more money.

Same thing with transfers. Just one big pain in the a$$

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For most dealers transfers are a courtsey for their customers, and not a primary means to pay the bills.

Right now we have multiple unique factors overlapping.

1. Unpresecedented delays and backlogs.

2. Buyers who are under the gun w/ Oct 1 deadlines , and can't wait 6 months for the situation to stabalize.

3. Within the next year there will be a massive restructuring of the Md retail marketplace, and the end result will be markedly different from the current.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Not to mention many dealer's sales are actually down, due to the fact that they can't get any product to sell!

Oh, and how much does your "Beemer" dealer charge for service? I know mine charged an arm and a leg when I used to have one...

Jamie

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Not to mention many dealer's sales are actually down, due to the fact that they can't get any product to sell!

Oh, and how much does your "Beemer" dealer charge for service? I know mine charged an arm and a leg when I used to have one...

Most Beemer owners I know service their own. Bimmer owners OTOH...

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Someone posted a link to a gunshop, I can't remember what it was for, but I was looking through the website and transfers were $5. I think it was in Georgia. I understand charging a fee for a transfer, whatever the dealer chooses. It not worth the effort to do it for next to nothing, unless all you're doing is transfers and you don't have a storefront to support.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    How dare those dealers profit! Why all guns should be sold at wholesale prices, transfers should be free, and staff should be volunteers since they get to stand behind the counter.

I now return you back to the reality that is Maryland. :-)

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I know my FFL's had to buy a couple more safes just for all the regulated arms they had to store. The safes that are heavy duty are not cheap. Our govt is responsible for this huge surge in sales and backlog. What are the FFLs going to do after Oct1 with several empty safes since certain rifles can't be bought and due to the new regulations, I speculate handgun sales will grind to a halt. Are buyers going to make up the difference buying hunting rifles and old surplus rifles?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Take your own steak and fixins to a restaurant the next time you go and ask them to cook it for you. See how that goes.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I know my FFL's had to buy a couple more safes just for all the regulated arms they had to store. The safes that are heavy duty are not cheap. Our govt is responsible for this huge surge in sales and backlog. What are the FFLs going to do after Oct1 with several empty safes

I would think they will be able to sell them and recoup at least 2/3 - 3/4 of what they paid for them if they are decent safes and they no longer need them.

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    If it's any help, 22lr ammunition used to cost about 3 cents a round and you could find it in the local Walmart stores. Now you can't find it and people are happily paying 10 cents a round. That's 3X what it used to cost. By comparison of your example, FFL transfer fees have gone up only roughly 100% instead of 300%.

Very true, but I see a difference between a product -- ammunition -- and a service such as a transfer. Ammunition costs have risen because supply has outstripped demand. Nothing has happened in the last seven months that I am aware of that would force a dealer to raise the fee for handling a transfer by $30.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    :popcorn:

We really need a "Vote to Lock this thread" control, so after 10 votes the thread is shutdown.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'm anything but made of money right now but I won't personally condemn a dealer in the state of Maryland who has decided to raise the rates.

As a consumer in this state, we're frustrated, angry, confused and perhaps worried about how, where, when, and if we're going to be able to purchase or receive our next firearm but that guy has to worry about how, where, when, and if he's going to be able to keep putting food on the table if/when the tightening laws of this state run him out of business.

The way I see it, he's got more skin in the game than I do and I'm damn glad there are still some around to do transfers or sales at all.

Between THIS and what Clandestine has said about 'gouging', the concept is fully explained.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I cant answer for other shops because I dont know what they pay for the following:

Attorney Consultation/Retainers
    Income/Business/Property Taxes
    Rent/Property
    Safes/Secure Storage
    Data/Paperwork Backup
    Labor Costs
    Bank Loans
    Insurance
    Medical Insurance/Unemployment/Disability/Benefits
    Utilities
    Supplies
    Advertising
    Business Licenses
    Business Services

To claim a business is price is gouging without knowing a business owners expenses/investment is unfair and dishonest to the core.

Business Association dues/fees ...

Once you get in business, the fees and costs seem to go on forever

In some lines of business the manufacturers make retailers purchase sales fliers, dealer reference books (some of these are unbelievably expensive), educational material for customers and employees etc etc ... that stuff you pick up at the door for "free" cost someone something at some level

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    They paid the bucks for the license, space and overhead.... no free rides. Find another FFL, bite the bullet or take up another hobby or stick to long guns. Guns, cars and women aren't cheap.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Why all the whining over transfer fees?

This is a product of big government intervention in your rights.

Eliminate the 68 GCA and you eliminate transfer fees altogether.

Until that point its a simple matter of supply and demand......its a providers market not a buyers

If you don't like the price they are charging find a different ffl

Dave T

How much do you make per hour? The FFLs are doing us a service and they need to earn a living as well. When I saw how much time and effort my FFL had to put in to do a transfer for me... I felt the $60 fee I paid quite reasonable.

Receiving, paperwork, filing, storing, followups.... all these things take time. And time adds up. Then factor in all the overhead of running a business. They are entitled to make a decent living, just like anyone else is who is willing to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom