• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    AR Upper Quality: CMMG v Stag. Please add experiences/comments.

Please limit discourse to these two brands.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I just took a close look at a CMMG stripped lower this week and I have to say the finish is a lot better than my Stag/MDShooters lower. To be fair I think I just got a bad one as far as the finish.

I'm sure JeepDriver or canuck can tell you for sure, but there's really only a couple of actual lower manufacturers and these two things might be from the same place.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I just took a close look at a CMMG stripped lower this week and I have to say the finish is a lot better than my Stag/MDShooters lower. To be fair I think I just got a bad one as far as the finish.

I'm sure JeepDriver or canuck can tell you for sure, but there's really only a couple of actual lower manufacturers and these two things might be from the same place.

I'm actually looking for uppers but thats good to know.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Sometime this week I'm probably going to zero in my STAG 2H upper. I'll report back to you when I do. I field stripped it last night and cleaned it....I'm really happy so far!!!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Damn....I really can read better than that....sorry.

I'm looking at a CMMG right now. I like the wider range of choices they have for their uppers.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Damn....I really can read better than that....sorry.

I'm looking at a CMMG right now. I like the wider range of choices they have for their uppers.

Don't feel so bad Norton...I almost did hte same thing. I typed a response ref CMMG lowers and I read it again so I deleted it.

I like STAG, the quality is excellent I just think that the $$ hasn't caught up to their name like RRA and other brands. I'm looking at the STAG 6H varmint upper, reasonably priced @ $550 at Legal Tranfers in NH

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Don't feel so bad Norton...I almost did hte same thing. I typed a response ref CMMG lowers and I read it again so I deleted it.

I like STAG, the quality is excellent I just think that the $$ hasn't caught up to their name like RRA and other brands. I'm looking at the STAG 6H varmint upper, reasonably priced @ $550 at Legal Tranfers in NH

I will have one monday, if UPS tracking doesn't lie to me. legal Transfers didn't have them in stock last week as i was abruptly informed and then hung up on. I got mine from Riflegear.com for just a few bucks more. Buy, hey actually had them. Real nice folks. It is going as AA MD Shooters lower. But i just bought a Stag lower from Dan.

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    I built my AR from 100% CMMG. I picked up the 16" MedCon Middie upper and I think it's worth the extra moola. Whole upper is well put together and feels solid. I opted for the full auto bolt carrier since they offer it as a free upgrade. Of course the 1:7 tough to match. The M4 feed ramps are deep and clean. The staking on the gas key is a little light, I would have liked to have seen them secured a little bit better but it should get the job done just fine.

Overall the fit and finish are perfect.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm waiting for my CMMG mid-length to come. Also got some Daniel Defense 9.0 rails to put on it.. I can't wait!!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    jpk1md:

I zeroed by Stag in yesterday at the range. I have a 2H upper and had to put in a flip up BUIS. 4 rounds and zeroed right out of the box....BEAUTIFUL!!!!! VERY PLEASED!!

Sundazes:
    did you get your Stag?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    jpk1md:

I zeroed by Stag in yesterday at the range. I have a 2H upper and had to put in a flip up BUIS. 4 rounds and zeroed right out of the box....BEAUTIFUL!!!!! VERY PLEASED!!

Sundazes:
    did you get your Stag?

Yup, big brown truck paid a visit. Upon initial inspection, it looks and fits great. I am planning on giving it a workout on Saturday. Still need to strip and clean it. Couldn't resist putting on the lower. Looks great.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I own a Few Stags and love all of them. The 6L is very accurate oout to 200 yards so far. I also am building a few more for the family as christmas gifts for the wife and daughter (pink and purlpe models). I really do like the Stagt better them the bushmaster and others I have owned in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom