• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    AR builds a quite common, but what about building a bolt action rifle?

I want a bolt action battle rifle sort of like a Springfield 1903a3, but without the collectable price premium and in new condition, so what I am thinking about is a .308 bolt with iron sights primary, but possible to mount a scope. It should be reliable, solid, and reasonably accurate.

Can I find an action, barrel, sights, and have a gunsmith fit the barrel to the action and mount the sights? How difficult would it be to find a stock and mount the barrelled action to the stock? If my build was based upon a common action say Remington 700, stocks should be available that would require a minimum of work if any to fit the action to the stock.

or would I be better off buying something like a Remington SPS in .308, and have a gunsmith mount iron sights?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There is an article on SniperCentral.com about a sub $800 tactical rifle build that starts off as a Stevens rifle - basically a Savage action - and goes through whole DIY process. They started with a brand new rifle, tossed the stock, tossed the barrel and tossed the trigger for new components more in line with what they wanted, and they still came in at around $750.

I would tend to think that a similar thing could be done for even less money if you weren't going for the whole tactical, heavy precision barrel thing, and iron sights could be mounted by just about any competent gunsmith.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    There is an article on SniperCentral.com about a sub $800 tactical rifle build that starts off as a Stevens rifle - basically a Savage action - and goes through whole DIY process. They started with a brand new rifle, tossed the stock, tossed the barrel and tossed the trigger for new components more in line with what they wanted, and they still came in at around $750.

I would tend to think that a similar thing could be done for even less money if you weren't going for the whole tactical, heavy precision barrel thing, and iron sights could be mounted by just about any competent gunsmith.

Well, that sounds promising. I want simple, rugged and reliable. Since I want the rifle to primarily shoot from iron sights, I don't need precision rifle accuracy.

I will do a search on SinperCentral.com to find the article for ideas. Thank you for the tip.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have started a Mauser. And there it sits.
    I've read that by the time you get done with all of the smithing and modifications necessary to turn a mauser into a fine sporter, you would have been better off simply buying a nice sporting rifle in the first place. Of course then you don't get the experience of sporterizing a rifle - I guess it depends on the end goal.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I have the barrel vise, receiver wrench, and other tools for building the Mauser. Just the lack of money, which is interrelated to the lack of time caused by excessive work. This is what keeps me from finishing any of my firearms projects.

Q: What is the maximum effective range of an excuse?

A: 0 meters

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have the barrel vise, receiver wrench, and other tools for building the Mauser. Just the lack of money, which is interrelated to the lack of time caused by excessive work. This is what keeps me from finishing any of my firearms projects.

Wanna rent me those tools?

My plan
    $150 barreled k98 action from r-guns
    Hogue stock <$100
    Sell 8mm barrel $50 recoup
    Buy cheap .308 bull barrel

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

It's too bad you don't live closer to me - I would love to put together my own tactical rifle build, and while I could probably swing for the components, I don't have the tooling to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom