• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I can use some advise, my next build will be a lightweight AR15 for my wife. The ARs I have now are just too heavy and bulky for her. She's fairly petite.

-Just want some advise on what type of 16" upper I should be looking at?

-Does the lightweight barrell really make a difference?

-Recommendations on a lightweight collapsible stock?

-My thoughts right now are something similiar to the DPMS Sporticle and mount a lightweight scope. The Flat top carbine with gas block looks fairly light.

ps...no pink furniture. I want to take it to range too.

Attachments

• DPMS Sportical Jen.jpg
      DPMS Sportical Jen.jpg
      21.5 KB · Views: 147

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    A lightweight barrel is probably the biggest difference you can get in weight. The barrel is the only part of the gun that is essentially a solid hunk of steel. The receivers are usually aluminum. A lightweight, low-profile barrel, or even a fluted one, will take a lot of the material off and lighten the load.

Most collapsible stocks are relatively light. They're just plastic. The Magpul CTR would be a good one if you want aftermarket, but if you don't mind it, the stock 6-pos you get with most rifles is adequate.

I don't think there's much more you can do to tinker with the weight of the rifle. I think some companies offer lighter-weight receivers and such. Bushmaster did some made of carbon-fiber for a while, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Just don't add a lot of components...heavy rails, flashlights, etc...that's what weighs down most people's AR15s.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Having a bit of weight at the rear of the rifle isn't a bad thing... It helps balance the gun...and a balanced gun is always going to feel lighter then one thats heavy at one end. But if you really want a light collapsible stock, just get a cheap one, it'll probably be lighter then most anything else as far as collapsibles go... Something like the 4-position one for $29.99 on this site http://www.tickbitesupply.com/stocks.html

Think of it as holding a broom parallel to the ground...First hold it by the very end of the pole, then hold it in the middle... And thinking about it like that, I wonder if it might also help if you gave her a foregrip.

But yes, I'd definitely go with a pencil barrel and a flat top.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The light barreled flat-top is a very quick package to deploy. Recoil recovery suffers, but I think it's offset by that first shot advantage.
    I have one built with a Bushy Superlight 16" barrel with an EOTech and it's a great cat & rat rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom