• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I was shooting dad's Marlin 336 last weekend and it was an absolute bear to get cartridges into the tubular magazine.

Just how tricky is this supposed to be? Seems to me that the cartridges should go in there reasonably easily, but in this case it was a royal PITA and we ended up loading no more than 3 at a time.

Is there some sort of adjustment that can be done in there?

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Can't claim to be an expert. I have only shot my 336 a couple of times (need to start reloading, factory ammo is $$$$), but I have never given loading it a second thought. Which means to me, I had no problem so speak of.

What was difficult about it? From you description it sounds like you were fighting a really strong spring?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Can't claim to be an expert. I have only shot my 336 a couple of times (need to start reloading, factory ammo is $$$$), but I have never given loading it a second thought. Which means to me, I had no problem so speak of.

What was difficult about it? From you description it sounds like you were fighting a really strong spring?

It was very difficult to get the rim in. I figure that it shouldn't be any more difficult than loading a shotgun tube.

We could put one round in up to the rim and then had to really muscle the rim past the frame. Then we did the same for the rest of the rounds.

It fed fine and shot fine.....

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Sadly I'm in exactly the same situation as Hughmon, I just don't have that many rounds through my 336. Sounds almost like something is in the tube or maybe the spring is somehow bent.:shrug:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm going to order some dummy rounds and really take a look at what's going on there. It's got to be something simple (famous last words :sad20:)

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I'm going to order some dummy rounds and really take a look at what's going on there. It's got to be something simple (famous last words :sad20:)

Bring it with you to the Lever Gun shoot. There should be several 336's to compare it against.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Could there have just been something a little off with the ammo? I know you said that once loaded it fed and shot find, but still a possibility.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Could there have just been something a little off with the ammo? I know you said that once loaded it fed and shot find, but still a possibility.

Could be. That's the one variable I didn't alter. It was all one box of the same ammo.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    My 94 can be a PITA sometimes too. The rounds will go 1/2-3/4 the way in fine, but its a bear to get them the rest of the way in. Almost like the spring that holds that gate closed is too tight. I just push my finger into the hole and remove some skin from my index finger to ensure proper loading. :D

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    My 94 can be a PITA sometimes too. The rounds will go 1/2-3/4 the way in fine, but its a bear to get them the rest of the way in. Almost like the spring that holds that gate closed is too tight. I just push my finger into the hole and remove some skin from my index finger to ensure proper loading. :D

My 94 can be a bit tough too, I usually push the cartridge in as far as I can get it then use the next cartridge to get the the rest of the way in. Seems to be the safest way to save the skin on your fingers. I'll have to stop by dad's and see if his 336 in .35Rem is tough or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom