• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    So I was at freestate the other day with my buddy who owns a fleming HK sear full auto mp5, and when he went to shoot the first couple of rounds the mounted suppressor flew the **** off and we got sprayed with powder (or maybe lead/copper jacket particles). The shooter/owner received a nasty cut on his temple and was bleeding profusely for a few minutes (the Freestate staff did an excellent job of taking care of him and cleaning everything up, so kudos to them and their extra professional staff). At first I thought it was a real kaboom, but the gun and suppressor did not have any visible damage, not even any evidence of a baffle strike (we broke the gun down completely to inspect it afterwards). I was filming at the time, so there is footage. Any idea what could of caused this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn_p52IzAVc

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Paging MoPar...
    Wow! You guys were lucky it sounds. I'm not an expert on that system so I won't even guess. Glad to hear no one was seriously injured. Did you get a chance to inspect the fired brass?

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Paging MoPar...
    Wow! You guys were lucky it sounds. I'm not an expert on that system so I won't even guess. Glad to hear no one was seriously injured. Did you get a chance to inspect the fired brass?

I searched and searched for a ruptured brass case but didn't spot anything. Didn't see any lead/copper jacket fragments either. The floor was pretty well littered with 9mm from shooting a glock 17 prior to the mp5. Very mysterious malfunction. Sucks because I was very much looking forward to my turn on the mp5 :party29:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Was the suppressor properly attached? Threaded or QD mount? You must have had a baffle strike of some kind. The gun itself didn't blowup and you got hit with fragments from the round somehow.

No visible damage to the suppressor or threads? Only other possibility is some kind of obstruction in the suppressor prior to firing .

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Was the suppressor properly attached? Threaded or QD mount? You must have had a baffle strike of some kind. The gun itself didn't blowup and you got hit with fragments from the round somehow.

No visible damage to the suppressor or threads? Only other possibility is some kind of obstruction in the suppressor prior to firing .

Was a 3 lug QD attachment, and yeah the guy said he knows how to lock it in, he has shot with it quite a bit. He did mention he cleaned it the night before so I am wondering if there was some kind of obstruction left on one of the baffles that got shook loose from the cleaning...

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Looked at the video a second time. Looks to me like the suppressor wasn't properly attached. Appears as though the first round drove the suppressor off the gun and a second round then struck the suppressor as it was falling away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looked at the video a second time. Looks to me like the suppressor wasn't properly attached. Appears as though the first round drove the suppressor off the gun and a second round then struck the suppressor as it was falling away.

Given it's cyclic rate of fire, it's hard to believe the can didn't get nicked.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I had to watch the video several times, but it almost looks like the silencer was wobbling a bit as he was bringing the gun up for the first shot. That points toward either the silencer or its mount being loose/disengaged, which may've caused the first or second round to strike the mount as the components fell away. Look for small dings on or around the edge of the mount (the steel there should be very hard, so the relatively soft bullet may've simply disintegrated before doing any physical damage).

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Was a 3 lug QD attachment, and yeah the guy said he knows how to lock it in, he has shot with it quite a bit. He did mention he cleaned it the night before so I am wondering if there was some kind of obstruction left on one of the baffles that got shook loose from the cleaning...

I've never had that happen, but I did once have the silencer (affixed via a tri-lug adapter) fall off right after I put it on, which is why I've gotten into the habit of always giving the silencer a tug, a la magazines, before loading/charging.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd bet money the can wasn't on fully. I've launched a 3-lug before:o (no damage.) Mine was simply me likely not turning it QUITE enough to get the lugs to lock. I always give it a rotational check now. I've been warned if a 3-lug adapter is REALLY carboned up, the piston may hang up and spring pressure wont push it back to lock. So another good reason to always double check.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I'd bet money the can wasn't on fully.

+1. That's what it looked like to me. It didn't even go very far, so it was probably just the gas that pulled it off the gun. The farthest that I've ever seen a can launched is about 25-30 yards. That was a 20" long integral .308 can. Fortunately there were no injuries, AND it was not mine.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    It looks to me that the suppressor was not on all the way by how easy it launched off.

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Yeah I guess the only plausible explanation is that the can was loose (not properly attached, or maybe there is a problem with the can's internal spring loaded attachment system). I'm glad nothing serious happened, and no damage to the gun resulted either! Hopefully I get another chance to shoot this rig in the future (with no mishaps) :D

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Improperly attached suppressor. Know what you are shooting and what to look for before pulling the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom