• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I have the process pretty much squared away with the Form 1 and using lowers.

Question is, how do I buy a SBS shotgun on gunbroker if it requires a tax stamp for me to possess it? I don't even know the serial number to apply for the tax stamp. Do I just buy the gun, have it shipped to my FFL, and then my FFL holds onto it until I get the tax stamp? If so, can any FFL hold onto an NFA item for me until I receive my tax stamp, or do I have to look for a specific FFL to hold it for me. I am guessing this might be the purgatory that people refer to on this forum.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    It needs to get transferred to your instate dealer. If you are buying from a dealer, it will go on a Form 3 tax free. If you are buying from an individual, it will go on a Form 4 with a $200 tax. Important to know because that adds an extra tax stamp to the transaction. Once your dealer has the F3 or F4 approved transferring it to him, you can send in your Form 4 to transfer it from him to you. And your dealer holds it until your Form 4 is approved.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Alright, I have the process pretty much squared away with the Form 1 and using lowers.

Question is, how do I buy a SBS shotgun on gunbroker if it requires a tax stamp for me to possess it? I don't even know the serial number to apply for the tax stamp. Do I just buy the gun, have it shipped to my FFL, and then my FFL holds onto it until I get the tax stamp? If so, can any FFL hold onto an NFA item for me until I receive my tax stamp, or do I have to look for a specific FFL to hold it for me. I am guessing this might be the purgatory that people refer to on this forum.

It has to be transferred to a FFL that deals in NFA items then once it gets there they will help you fill out the Form 4 and send it and your $200 to the ATF. I would suggest talking to one of the shops that deals in NFA items to get the exact details.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    It needs to get transferred to your instate dealer. If you are buying from a dealer, it will go on a Form 3 tax free. If you are buying from an individual, it will go on a Form 4 with a $200 tax. Important to know because that adds an extra tax stamp to the transaction. Once your dealer has the F3 or F4 approved transferring it to him, you can send in your Form 4 to transfer it from him to you. And your dealer holds it until your Form 4 is approved.

This guy MAY have experience with this process...:lol:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Fabs- call around for local NFA transfer prices. They can get expensive. I have heard from 75 to 250. That is on top of the $200 tax stamp of course.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Why not do a form 1-for a SBS. It's cheaper and less complicated. Otherwise look locally for what you want. There are also shops that can build what you want. Probably for about the price of one off the internet

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Sorry for derailing your thread. Rsideout explained the process as I understand it perfectly. The other option would be to 'form 1' the SBS which is very similar to the SBR process, which you already have a handle on.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah, unless it were something really special, I would just Form 1 it.

If it's a pump gun or something, go buy one, do the Form 1, and after you get the stamp, go buy the short barrel and five minutes later you're done.

As rsideout said, if you buy from an individual, they have to Form 4 it to a dealer, which is a $200 stamp, then you'll pay $50 - $100 for a transfer, then you'll pay another $200 for the Form 4 on your end. Likely not worth it unless you're buying something really unique.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

Really Fabs! Just come see me and we'll get you squared away:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Really Fabs! Just come see me and we'll get you squared away:D

lol - of course I am coming to see you about this. Just wanted to get some information before coming to the shop and looking like an imbecile.

FYI - somebody in this thread sent me a PM letting me know you are just down the street from me and that you are awesome. Of course, I already know both of those facts. Heck, the cars and truck know the way to your shop without me having to drive.

I just sent you an e-mail.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Form 1 is an applucation to make.
    Form 2 is an application to transfer

I'll fix the typo and elaborate.

Form 1 is an application to make - for instance, if I buy the Benelli M4 with an 18.5" barrel I would then file a Form 1 if I want to buy the 14.5" barrel and swap the barrels (i.e., make a new firearm). I am using Form 1 for some SBR builds on lowers because I will be ordering the barrels after I get the tax stamps.

Form 4 is an application to transfer - it is what I would use if I buy the Benelli M4 with a 14.5" barrel on it to begin with, or if I were to buy a complete AR-15 rifle with a barrel shorter than 16".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks. But what about suppressors? Can you buy parts to make?

Sorry to hijack.

No worries. Suppressors are next on the list after I get this Benelli.

One day, I might be able to afford a clay gun once again when I am not buying stuff ahead of the implementation of new laws/rules/infringements.

One day, I might be able to go shooting more often when I don't have to spend so much time worrying about all these law/rule changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom