• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    What did I just do?

"YOU ARE ACCESSING A U.S. GOVERNMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM, WHICH INCLUDES: (1) THIS COMPUTER, (2) THIS COMPUTER NETWORKING, (3) ALL COMPUTERS CONNECTED TO THIS NETWORK, AND (4) ALL DEVICES AND STORAGE MEDIA ATTACHED TO THIS NETWORK OR TO A COMPUTER ON THIS NETWORK...

BY USING THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM, YOU UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:

YOU HAVE NO REASONABLE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY REGARDING ANY COMMUNICATIONS TRANSMITTED THROUGH OR DATA STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM. AT ANY TIME, THE GOVERNMENT MAY MONITOR, INTERCEPT, SEARCH AND/OR SEIZE DATA TRANSITING OR STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM.

ANY COMMUNICATIONS TRANSMITTED THROUGH OR DATA STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM MAY BE DISCLOSED OR USED FOR ANY U.S. GOVERNMENT-AUTHORIZED PURPOSE."

So my laptop is part of the "Information Network," and as such, the Government can monitor or seize any data they want from it? Or am I just misunderstanding again? :shrug: :tinfoil:

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    What did I just do?

"YOU ARE ACCESSING A U.S. GOVERNMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM, WHICH INCLUDES: (1) THIS COMPUTER, (2) THIS COMPUTER NETWORKING, (3) ALL COMPUTERS CONNECTED TO THIS NETWORK, AND (4) ALL DEVICES AND STORAGE MEDIA ATTACHED TO THIS NETWORK OR TO A COMPUTER ON THIS NETWORK...

YOU HAVE NO REASONABLE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY REGARDING ANY COMMUNICATIONS TRANSMITTED THROUGH OR DATA STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM. AT ANY TIME, THE GOVERNMENT MAY MONITOR, INTERCEPT, SEARCH AND/OR SEIZE DATA TRANSITING OR STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM.

ANY COMMUNICATIONS TRANSMITTED THROUGH OR DATA STORED ON THIS INFORMATION SYSTEM MAY BE DISCLOSED OR USED FOR ANY U.S. GOVERNMENT-AUTHORIZED PURPOSE."

So my laptop is part of the "Information Network," and as such, the Government can monitor or seize any data they want from it? Or am I just misunderstanding again? :shrug: :tinfoil:

You are just misunderstanding.

When it says "This Computer" it is is talking about itself, the server that is hosting the webpage you are viewing, not YOUR computer.

xref

May 9, 2013
    What did I just do?

Just to be clear, this is a standard USG warning banner. Nothing to see here.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's boiler-plate legal ease for anybody using federal government computer systems, including federal employees.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Big brother is always looking over your shoulder. :cool16:

He's worse than Santa Claus, because he doesn't have to check his list twice.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just to be clear, this is a standard USG warning banner. Nothing to see here.

Exactly.

And it is there because one of the very early computer hackers (I forget his name at the moment) was able to wiggle out of a conviction at one point because he said "hey, there was never anything telling me that I was on a Government system and wasn't supposed to be doing that." So now they put that thing everywhere so you can't try to claim ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom