• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    As U.S. taxpayers we should all be outraged. State Farm policyholders should be even angrier. When you have a fire, storm, or water damage claim at your home or business this is an example of the mentality you are up against.

A brief explanation of the fraud committed against us (taxpayers) by State Farm follows. State Farm agents sell standard State Farm homeowners policies to homeowners and also sell flood insurance policies through the federally administered National Flood Insurance Program. When claims come in like the Hurricane Katrina claims they are assigned to a State Farm staff adjuster or an independent contractor adjuster working under the direction of State Farm. The State Farm adjusters, executives, managers, and "independent" engineers conspired to call these claims flood damage which is paid for by the NFIP rather than by State Farm even when the damage was clearly caused by wind which is covered under the State Farm policy. To make matters worse not only did State Farm defraud the federal government of the money for the damages but they then billed the NFIP for the costs and expenses of their corrupt claims adjusters and engineers.

This behavior is not isolated to State Farm. Many insurers practice "bad faith" tactics but seldom are they held accountable for fraud.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/12/06/434413.htm

http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local...aud-verdict-against-State-Farm-405062756.html

86514bf01c3d1b8ac8ca3c2169b58a0a.jpg

8add5dd56a71c8ae595d497eb746f973.jpg

Full disclosure: I am a Public Adjuster and battle State Farm and other insurers on a daily basis.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I dropped them when they tried to raise my homeowner's insurance by 30% with no claims in the 30+ years I was with them and no changes in coverage. Went with another company at half the rate for the same coverage and have not looked back. Good hands my rear end!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I dropped them when they tried to raise my homeowner's insurance by 30% with no claims in the 30+ years I was with them and no changes in coverage. Went with another company at half the rate for the same coverage and have not looked back. Good hands my rear end!
    Good neighbor is who State Farm claims to be, Allstate claims to be the "good hands" people. As you are aware neither of these companies will ever be accused of stating truth in their advertising.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD

I think that's Allstate. State Farm's mantra is "like a good neighbor"....

Edit: Too slow at the keyboard at my age.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Someone has to pay for the advertising ...

Always buy insurance through an independent broker, whether it's life, auto, homeowners, or even flood insurance.

Brokers should always find you the best coverage for the price you are willing to pay. I've went through the same broker for 35+ years and they have never recommended State Farm or AllState or any other 'name brand' for that matter for any of my insurance needs. And, I've always gotten good, no-questions-asked personal service when filing a claim. And it makes it easier to switch coverage if you are dissatisfied with a particular plan.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Always buy insurance through an independent broker, whether it's life, auto, homeowners, or even flood insurance.

Brokers should always find you the best coverage for the price you are willing to pay. I've went through the same broker for 35+ years and they have never recommended State Farm or AllState or any other 'name brand' for that matter for any of my insurance needs. And, I've always gotten good, no-questions-asked personal service when filing a claim. And it makes it easier to switch coverage if you are dissatisfied with a particular plan.

Any recommendations?
    I currently have Erie for home and auto...I've only had one issue(a woman backed into the rear bed side of my truck at a Walmart). My agent told me that since it was private property and no police responded, it was my word against the woman who hit me and vice versa, so I'd have to turn my damage in on my insurance and that the woman would have to turn her damage in on her insurance. Needless to say, my truck still has a big dent in it because I refused to use my "accident forgiveness" or pay money out of my pocket for something that wasn't my fault.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Any recommendations?
    I currently have Erie for home and auto...I've only had one issue(a woman backed into the rear bed side of my truck at a Walmart). My agent told me that since it was private property and no police responded, it was my word against the woman who hit me and vice versa, so I'd have to turn my damage in on my insurance and that the woman would have to turn her damage in on her insurance. Needless to say, my truck still has a big dent in it because I refused to use my "accident forgiveness" or pay money out of my pocket for something that wasn't my fault.
    Rule of thumb: "If they are advertising on TV they aren't paying claims fairly". I handle many hundreds of claims per year and can say from experience that this statement is absolutely true. There are few insurers I would recommend and I won't post them publicly. PM me if you are really ready to jump ship for a new insurer. I typically don't comment publicly on the countless examples of insurers operating in bad faith but this case is just too egregious to remain silent.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Rule of thumb: "If they are advertising on TV they aren't paying claims fairly". I handle many hundreds of claims per year and can say from experience that this statement is absolutely true. There are few insurers I would recommend and I won't post them publicly. PM me if you are really ready to jump ship for a new insurer. I typically don't comment publicly on the countless examples of insurers operating in bad faith but this case is just too egregious to remain silent.

:thumbsup: A good example of an honest broker who is acting in his clients best interest as opposed to the stock price of their employer.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A good example of an honest broker who is acting in his clients best interest as opposed to the stock price of their employer.
    Well actually, a broker I am not. I fight insurance companies for a living, I don't sell their product. I try not to publicly bash insurance companies as most do a good job showing their true face when someone has their first claim of any significance. It is remarkable how many think they have "good insurance" until they file a claim. The most expensive policy with the "best coverage" does you no good if your insurer doesn't want to pay your claim properly. I have dealt with a countless number of insurers and I can't name more than a handful that I would recommend. Additionally one that is decent today may be horrible five years from now when corporate directives change internal practices. One thing is absolutely certain, any insurer that says: like a good neighbor, on your side, you are in good hands, etc. is lying. You can't answer to shareholders above policyholders and actually honor those statements.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    These practices are widespread and continuous. These corporate executives commit criminal acts and get slapped on the wrist in the few isolated incidents in which they are caught. Hurricane Sandy was another example of this on a tremendously widespread basis. As long as they keep padding the pockets of the slimy politicians this behavior will continue. There is no end in sight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fema-evidence-of-fraud-in-hurricane-sandy-reports/

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    After having problems with, & dropping, 5 consecutive insurance companies, I switched to an independent broker, & couldn't be happier. With thousands of customers who could be switched en masse to another company, a broker has a lot of leverage.

I once talked to an insurance adjuster who worked for a large company about homeowners insurance; she told me, "In my entire career, I have never given a homeowner who sustained major damage the full value of his loss." That seems to be the philosophy of the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom