• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I recently acquired a Colt 1911 produced in late 1918 which went through the Augusta Arsenal to ready it for use in WWII. It appears to have received new grips and a High Standard barrel. Rather than shoot it with the old barrel, I'd like to get a drop in replacement and save the old barrel for historical purposes. Just recreational shooting at the range; no illusions about competition. Any recommendations?

Jul 1, 2012
    The "old" barrel isn't really anything special as they made literally millions of HS barrels, and more important it's not correct for the gun anyway.
    Since it's already fitted to the gun (in theory) I'd just leave it, you're not going to wear it out in casual shooting.
    But there's plenty of replacement barrels on evilPay all the time if you go that route.

More important is replacing the recoil and firing pin springs.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as he shoots the gun won't other parts wear out or break first?
    For all my C&R pistols seems like other parts related to breaking it down seem to be the most worn.

Dec 6, 2011
    I think most people are cringing at the thought of a $1300 treasure being fired when a shooter 1911 can be had for less than $500. It's all relative. A lot of the guys on this board are in their 20s/30s/40s and don't remember brand new but surplus 1911s for sale in hardware stores for less than $40 after Korea. If it's your pistol and your intention is to keep it until the day you die, then do whatever makes you happy.

Alternatively, if it has no emotional significance, you might consider trading a veteran for something more high speed. I bet you'd have quite a few takers.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The "old" barrel isn't really anything special as they made literally millions of HS barrels, and more important it's not correct for the gun anyway.
    Since it's already fitted to the gun (in theory) I'd just leave it, you're not going to wear it out in casual shooting.
    But there's plenty of replacement barrels on evilPay all the time if you go that route.

More important is replacing the recoil and firing pin springs.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to imply that the HS barrel was correct for a 1911, only that it is one of the things done to it at the arsenal for WWII use.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I think most people are cringing at the thought of a $1300 treasure being fired when a shooter 1911 can be had for less than $500. It's all relative. A lot of the guys on this board are in their 20s/30s/40s and don't remember brand new but surplus 1911s for sale in hardware stores for less than $40 after Korea. If it's your pistol and your intention is to keep it until the day you die, then do whatever makes you happy.

Alternatively, if it has no emotional significance, you might consider trading a veteran for something more high speed. I bet you'd have quite a few takers.

I recognize the collector value and have no intention of doing anything to it that would permanently alter the components. I'm guessing that it's value will not be enhanced by a notation that it hasn't been fired since I acquired it in 2015.

Jul 1, 2012
    Me, I'd just replace the springs, keep it clean and oiled, and enjoy it as-is.
    And I'm one of the "white-glove" collector types :)

The "collector value" of an arsenaled (assume park'd) WWI pistol will not be harmed by shooting it IMHO.
    These things were built tough to start with and unless you do something stupid or there is a pre-existing problem, it'll take it.
    I'd be more worried about damaging the grips to be honest.

There's no way of knowing if the barrel is even the "original" from the refurb.
    With these arsenal refurbs, any correct GI part will be, well, "correct" so if you break something the world won't stop spinning.

I wouldn't shoot an all-original, high-condition pistol (if you are lucky enough to find one), or one of the rare variants in any condition.
    I don't/won't shoot my Remington UMC, for example.

Out of curiosity, was this upgraded to an -A1 during the refurb?
    pics man, pics :innocent0

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

The "collector value" of an arsenaled (assume park'd) WWI pistol will not be harmed by shooting it IMHO.
    These things were built tough to start with and unless you do something stupid or there is a pre-existing problem, it'll take it.

With these arsenal refurbs, any correct GI part will be, well, "correct" so if you break something the world won't stop spinning.

I wouldn't shoot an all-original, high-condition pistol (if you are lucky enough to find one), or one of the rare variants in any condition.

Thanks for the comments and insights. The only externally visible "upgrade" is the WWII style grips, instead of the WWI double diamond. The mainspring housing is flat, the sights are small, the hammer spur is long, it has the long trigger, and there are no scallops behind the trigger housing.

I'll try to upload pictures ASAP.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    //[url=http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4481&c=member&imageuser=33666][img]https://www.mdshooters.comgallery/files/3/3/6/6/6/colt25_thumb.jpg[/url][/IMG]

//[url=http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4470&c=member&imageuser=33666][img]https://www.mdshooters.comgallery/files/3/3/6/6/6/colt_1911_thumb.jpg[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
    The correct magazine for this "Black Army" Colt is the arsenic dipped "two toned" hardened mag. Otherwise the finish, which didn't start out as Colt's earlier and later blued versions, is mostly gone. I would personally shoot it. I have one of these in very good condition and I'm still debating with myself about firing it. I also have a 1927 Colt which according to the serial number was assigned to the Navy. It's a beat up clanker that has never failed as long as I've owned it. I shoot it every time I take a few 1911s to the range. I'm sure it's worth a little more than most old Colts but to me it's a shooter.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The correct magazine for this "Black Army" Colt is the arsenic dipped "two toned" hardened mag. Otherwise the finish, which didn't start out as Colt's earlier and later blued versions, is mostly gone. I would personally shoot it. I have one of these in very good condition and I'm still debating with myself about firing it. I also have a 1927 Colt which according to the serial number was assigned to the Navy. It's a beat up clanker that has never failed as long as I've owned it. I shoot it every time I take a few 1911s to the range. I'm sure it's worth a little more than most old Colts but to me it's a shooter.

I like having it as a piece of history that took a beating in at least one war, not as a pristine example of what the state of the art was when it left the Colt factory. I've sent off to Colt for a "historical letter" to find out where it was first sent. I also posted a query on Culver's Shooting Page to find out if there is anything in the SRS data base about this particular firearm. I'll definitely shoot it and the purpose of my original query was to get a recommendation for a suitable barrel to swap out for the HS. I'm not worried about "preserving" the HS, just about getting a little better accuracy with something new.

Jul 1, 2012
    It looks/sounds like most of the original parts were preserved which is pretty cool for a refurb.
    Nice clean gun, not all beat to heck like a lot of 'em are.

To me this is the perfect gun to shoot, it has history and you're not going to hurt it.

Not sure if you'll see much improvement in accuracy with a new barrel & bushing but it's worth a shot I guess.

Big thing is to just have fun with it !

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    It looks/sounds like most of the original parts were preserved which is pretty cool for a refurb.
    Nice clean gun, not all beat to heck like a lot of 'em are.

To me this is the perfect gun to shoot, it has history and you're not going to hurt it.

Not sure if you'll see much improvement in accuracy with a new barrel & bushing but it's worth a shot I guess.

Big thing is to just have fun with it !

My intention is definitely to have fun with it. I've put about 100 rounds through it after cleaning/lubing it and it functions flawlessly. It is tight, with no rattles at all with the magazine in or out. The main problem is my old eyes and the small sights. Once I get comfortable with it maybe muscle memory will take over.

Jul 1, 2012
    My intention is definitely to have fun with it. I've put about 100 rounds through it after cleaning/lubing it and it functions flawlessly. It is tight, with no rattles at all with the magazine in or out. The main problem is my old eyes and the small sights. Once I get comfortable with it maybe muscle memory will take over.

I'm with you, brother!
    One of my favorites is my 1902 Military - it shoots great but the sights are sooo tiny (even smaller than a 1911).
    My eyes don't work for crap so it's tough.

sounds like you got a good 1911 there.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm with you, brother!
    One of my favorites is my 1902 Military - it shoots great but the sights are sooo tiny (even smaller than a 1911).
    My eyes don't work for crap so it's tough.

sounds like you got a good 1911 there.

Like a Timex...took a licking, but keeps on ticking.:D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Shoot it, enjoy it. I must admit, with a few exceptions, I find it boring that people are squeemish about shooting vintage gun. Sure you may break that matching part and be out a couple grand but you had fun doing it. That said, there are some that are far to rare or correct for such treatment, only one I can think of in my collection is my S&W Persian, one of only a few in the Country. Though it we get all friendly with Iran I suspect there will be more and I will lose a mint, but wont have anything to worry about!

Though I would save the barrel dollars and just get a plinker 1911 like a RIA or similar to take some pressure off the rounds. By the time you pay for a barrel and fitting you are halfway there.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Shoot it, enjoy it. I must admit, with a few exceptions, I find it boring that people are squeemish about shooting vintage gun. Sure you may break that matching part and be out a couple grand but you had fun doing it. That said, there are some that are far to rare or correct for such treatment, only one I can think of in my collection is my S&W Persian, one of only a few in the Country. Though it we get all friendly with Iran I suspect there will be more and I will lose a mint, but wont have anything to worry about!

Though I would save the barrel dollars and just get a plinker 1911 like a RIA or similar to take some pressure off the rounds. By the time you pay for a barrel and fitting you are halfway there.

The internals of a 1911 that has been around the block a time or two may or may not be "correct", but that's what interchangeability is all about. I'm under no illusions that this mix master is anything but a mix master, but the frame is its birth certificate and the slide is from the same period if the inspector marks can be trusted. Anything "original" beyond that is probably not provable.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Just weighing back in to make a confession. After three trips to an indoor range I realized I was "overthinking" the process of learning to aim this warhorse properly. Half way through today's session I stopped aiming and just pointed and shot a series of five rounds each. They were all center of mass at 25 feet with three groups of five having three round "clover leafs". I guess I shouldn't have tried to make it something it wasn't intended to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom