• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    If there was no injury to the person, then I would be shocked if any lawyer took the case.
    They can only sue for actual damages suffered. And if only the dog was injured and you’re paying that bill, then what’s left?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you have their email address or phone number I think I'd email or text them with your offer to cover the vet bills. If this does make it to court you can show that you were reasonable and willing to do the right thing. People get very emotional about their dogs, maybe they will calm down a bit and become reasonable too.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    If that was my dog that that happened to, I would be pissed, but satisfied with the offer to pay the vet bills (all of them including follow up visits). As far as suing, that would be just absurd.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That sucks bud but at least you have the right attitude about it.

I'm with Mr. Grouper.........Dogs, although they don't feel like it, are property. Your property damaged his property and your willing to make that whole again. I don't see what other case they have.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I owned an aggressive chessie for 6 years, before I finally put him down. He was an awesome dog, but had to always be leashed. You'll have to do the same now, or this will happen again. It will probably happen again anyway.

You won't want to hear this, but I think you need to accept that the dog is aggressive. And I think you need to consider putting him down.

Armed with that mindset, and that some time has passed, go and talk to your neighbors. Have an open conversation and see how they feel. You probably can't move, so ask how they feel about your dog continuing to live next door. Do they want you to put the dog down? Are they OK with you containing him and keeping him leashed?

Apologize, explain that you are willing to work with them in whatever way they are comfortable with, and cut a check for $500 as a down on whatever vet bills are coming your way. Tell them you will do what they feel is necessary.

If they say they can deal with the dog living there, you have to be 24/7 vigilent, to opening the door, kids running by or up to the dog, etc. Anything.

If they say they don't want the dog there, that they are afraid of it and afraid that you will not be able to control it, then you need to either move or put the dog down.

The one thing you CANNOT do is give the dog away. The dog is a problem. You're aware of the problem and may want to take the risk, but it is irresponsible to give the dog away to a rescue, shelter, friend, etc.

Sucks, I've been there. Safest route, honestly, in this day and age, is to put the dog down. I know you don't want to hear that and it took me five years to come to terms with it with my Chessie. Our society has moved to a point where animals like this (that in the past would have been valued) are unacceptable.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    If your dogs isn't socialized with your shared property line neighbors dog then it's both of yours fault that this happened. I purposely socialize my dogs with the neighbors so they know they are part of the same pack. We let them play together about once a week. Mine will come get me when the neighbors dogs are getting in trouble.

Also, prong collar for walks, always. Let the dog know it's a treat for being "good", not a defense mechanism to control them.

If you feel the need for a muzzle, put the dog down. The imagery is horrible and no one will want to associate with a muzzled dog.

Per the injury, offer to pay for the damages and try to get them socialized. If the neighbor refuses, walk away.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Hey guys i had a question regarding my dog attacking my neighbors dog. Yesterday evening my dog nolan which is a pitt mix was on his walk. As we were walking up the driveway our neighbor was walking down. For whatever reason nolan started freaking out and some how got out of his harness and bites our neighbors dog. The neighbors dog was hurt and needed stiches but is still alive. I know i am on the hook for the vet bill at the very least, and i know i will have to register nolan on a dangerous dog list. My question is what can i expect next, can my neighbor sue me for everything im worth and can they put my dog down for this?

Lots of opinions. I’ve read all the posts. Here is what to expect:
    Assuming the neighbor reported the incident to Animal Control, you will be contacted by Animal Control. They will want to come and meet with your dog. They may want to quarantine it for a period (can’t recall-@7-14 days). Sometimes, they will let you promises to keep it away from people and pets, and allow you to quarantine it. Your dog now has a record. A Rap Sheet, if you will. First bite. Meh (unless it is very aggressive with animal control, in which case...) Second bite, it will be put down.

A dog is chattel. Property. So not too big a hit. This time. If it had bitten a person, you and/your insurance carrier would have been at least @$30k in the hole. That’s what recent dog bite cases have been going for. It is going to Circuit Court.

Your problem is that, although you were not aware of the danger your dog posed before this incident, you ARE aware now.
    If your dog bites a person now, you will likely be liable for a rather large amount. You will need to decide how much insurance premium increase and increased potential you are willing to endure.

If you don’t have a whole lot of assets, you don’t have much to lose. If you have assets, you need to think about it. There is a chance that your insurance poicy limits can be not enough, un which case you will be personally liable.
    Good luck.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    FYI -

I remember talking to my insurance broker years ago (I think it was in regard obtaining a general liability policy) to and I mentioned dogs, and the first thing out of his mouth was that general liability excluded any liability relating to dog bite/attack.

I wouldn't even mention this to your insurance company for fear of getting dropped like a hot rock.

Deal with on your own and with your neighbor as much as you can. I agree with the previous poster that given you are now aware of the problem, your liability for future incidents increases many-fold.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    A harness is not good for controlling your dog. You should have some sort of choker. I watched an issue of the dog whisperer recently and Rhona Mitra was having issues with her dog. He told her the same thing. What he did was use the leash as a choker by using the leash in reverse. The open end people normally hold was used as a loop and the other end of the leash was ran through the loop to form a choker. It is a much more effective means of control. You don't have to hang the dog, just use enough correction so that the dog understands what is expected.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Be VERY careful while using an e-collar with this sort of behavior in mind. You have to think about it from the dog's point of view. He sees the enemy dog, starts to get his hackles up ... and then The Angry Gods inflict pain on him. What does he associate? I experience pain when I see that dumb neighbor dog. That can make the problem far worse, not better. Further: when a dog goes on high alert, the adrenaline starts flowing, and the gentle poke of a lower-setting e-collar suddenly becomes utterly sense-invisible to the dog. I've watched bird-crazy dogs run right through maximum shock output and never even twitch, once something gets them in K-9 missile mode. And that's prey drive. That pales compared to Must Kick That Other Dog's Ass drive, which is far more powerful. Don't use an e-collar unless you are 100% abso-freakin'-lutely positive you understand the pros, cons, and proper use of that tool. Those tools will NOT NOT NOT stop your dog from attacking another dog, and may actually inspire more of it. E-collars are for working with your dog when it's off lead, beyond your reach - and well after you've already spent months working on long check cords, etc.

If your dog is lapsing in to a fit of seemingly out of blue attack mode, it's because that dog thinks IT'S IN CHARGE and is on duty, defending you and/or its territory. The main solution to this problem is to make the long, tedious investment in all of the relationship training you need to make the dog think you're the alpha and that he's on vacation. May be too late with your dog, but that's where it all begins and ends.

For what it's worth, I've had more than one pit-style dog get loose from its handler and run fifty yards at me at full throttle to attack my dog. Still can't straighten out one of my fingers (thankfully, not my trigger finger!) because a pit bull that tore out of its owner's control attacked me, and crunched two knuckles on my left hand. The owner was screaming "Just kick him! Just kick him!" followed by, "He's never done anything like this before ..." Yeah. Great. I had to eat $4000 in medical bills because he took the dog to a friend's house in Virginia and told MoCo animal control the dog died the same day it attacked me, and the guy refused to pony up.

Sorry, don't mean to rant on - but this is a painful (literally) topic for me. I'm so careful that my bird dog(s) never, ever get the opportunity to hurt another dog or person that I get a little wound up when I hear about this happening with fighting breeds. Ultra care is required, and too many wrong steps are casually taken by people who try to modify the weight of that baked-in programming. Please be careful, and consider getting a pro trainer involved to try to save your future time with that dog. Best of luck ... but you make your own luck, when it comes to dogs on leads.

The problem.. owners doesn't train them with ecollar. It's not just buy.. put on the dog and zap when dogs misbehaving. There's training process with it.

A well trained attack dogs will stop on a dime with verbal command. It's up to the dog and owner and their training.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Someone said, "You won't want to hear this, but I think you need to accept that the dog is aggressive. And I think you need to consider putting him down."
    I had an aggressive GSD. He was what is called a fear biter.
    I took him to (and me too), Aggressive Dog training classes at K9 Concepts in Essex.
    Very good people.
    Takes a lot of time and effort (classes twice a week for many months), but it worked.
    As a back up I learned how to properly use both a prong collar and an e-collar.
    Go talk to this guy and have him evaluate your dog. Talking won't cost you anything.
    There motto is "There are no bad dogs - and we can prove it."
    http://www.k9koncepts.com/

ps: Also if the animal control people show up, you can show them that you are working with a professional on the problem. Be Pro-Active!

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I owned an aggressive chessie for 6 years, before I finally put him down. He was an awesome dog, but had to always be leashed. You'll have to do the same now, or this will happen again. It will probably happen again anyway.

You won't want to hear this, but I think you need to accept that the dog is aggressive. And I think you need to consider putting him down.

Armed with that mindset, and that some time has passed, go and talk to your neighbors. Have an open conversation and see how they feel. You probably can't move, so ask how they feel about your dog continuing to live next door. Do they want you to put the dog down? Are they OK with you containing him and keeping him leashed?

Apologize, explain that you are willing to work with them in whatever way they are comfortable with, and cut a check for $500 as a down on whatever vet bills are coming your way. Tell them you will do what they feel is necessary.

If they say they can deal with the dog living there, you have to be 24/7 vigilent, to opening the door, kids running by or up to the dog, etc. Anything.

If they say they don't want the dog there, that they are afraid of it and afraid that you will not be able to control it, then you need to either move or put the dog down.

The one thing you CANNOT do is give the dog away. The dog is a problem. You're aware of the problem and may want to take the risk, but it is irresponsible to give the dog away to a rescue, shelter, friend, etc.

Sucks, I've been there. Safest route, honestly, in this day and age, is to put the dog down. I know you don't want to hear that and it took me five years to come to terms with it with my Chessie. Our society has moved to a point where animals like this (that in the past would have been valued) are unacceptable.

I disagree with the bolded. Giving the dog to a competent rescue after advising them that the dog has acted aggressively and bitten another dog without provocation is not irresponsible (if they agree to take them in). People who rescue dogs are very good at handling the dogs that they rescue and dealing with the actions of those dogs. Rescue's also will not place a dog that had previously been aggressive without going through measures to ensure that the dog is as safe as possible (to himself and others), and that the new owners are made well aware of the previous history and are prepared to handle the animal in the future.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Hate to say this but if the MD was a shell issue state the outcome could have
    been much differant.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    In AA County , 2 Rotties i rescued killed a neighbors dog . I paid for the dog to be cremated and bought them a new dog and told them if i could do anything else i would just let me know . After all was done they also turned us in which is okay .

Since it was a dog on dog attack the county said one more bad report they would take the dogs and put them down . Dollars and cent wise our company was out of pocket about 2K . Try to make right with the neighbor whatever they think is fair .
    Even if you can put a dollar and cents amount on their time for handling things with their dog . Or you can let time pass and see what happens , but beef up your control on your dog to show the county you care . IMHO

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That sucks bud but at least you have the right attitude about it.

I'm with Mr. Grouper.........Dogs, although they don't feel like it, are property. Your property damaged his property and your willing to make that whole again. I don't see what other case they have.

Basically this, IMHO. Very hard to make a case for anything more than vet bills from what I have seen. Sure, someone can claim emotional trauma, PTSD, Dog Induced Explosive Diarrhea Syndrome, whatever. Doubtful they're gonna get anywhere with it, would probably have trouble even finding a lawyer who wants it on contingency.

The dog got off its lead, and dogs sometimes fight. Get a better lead, consult with a competent professional trainer, and be very careful. Absurd to talk about putting him down, IMHO.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I disagree with the bolded. Giving the dog to a competent rescue after advising them that the dog has acted aggressively and bitten another dog without provocation is not irresponsible (if they agree to take them in). People who rescue dogs are very good at handling the dogs that they rescue and dealing with the actions of those dogs. Rescue's also will not place a dog that had previously been aggressive without going through measures to ensure that the dog is as safe as possible (to himself and others), and that the new owners are made well aware of the previous history and are prepared to handle the animal in the future.

Understood that you disagree, but I'll respectfully disagree with you also. People that rescue dogs do so because they want to save dogs and give dogs good homes. It an honorable avocation and I salute those that do so.

That said, a person doing that is probably less than objective, and they can only presume they can handle that dog until something happens.

I'll throw some light on my particular situation. My Chessie was also a fear biter. Would love anyone or any dog to death if he were introduced to them, but barring that was extremely unpredictable. With time, i became very good at seeing when he was stressed and when i needed to remove him from that stressing situation.

The last time he bit, he was under the care of my then girlfriend. She also happened to be a professional dog trainer. Not just any bozo 'trainer' that happened to love dogs, but worked for Guide Dogs for the Blind. She swore she could recognize when he was getting rattled. Until she didn't and he lit into her older brother. She learned a lot about how much she'll never know about any given dog that day. Her brother was fine, but it was time for me to accept the fact that what made him an awesome gun/duck dog also made him incompatible with modern society. I miss him to this day.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Understood that you disagree, but I'll respectfully disagree with you also. People that rescue dogs do so because they want to save dogs and give dogs good homes. It an honorable avocation and I salute those that do so.

That said, a person doing that is probably less than objective, and they can only presume they can handle that dog until something happens.

I'll throw some light on my particular situation. My Chessie was also a fear biter. Would love anyone or any dog to death if he were introduced to them, but barring that was extremely unpredictable. With time, i became very good at seeing when he was stressed and when i needed to remove him from that stressing situation.

The last time he bit, he was under the care of my then girlfriend. She also happened to be a professional dog trainer. Not just any bozo 'trainer' that happened to love dogs, but worked for Guide Dogs for the Blind. She swore she could recognize when he was getting rattled. Until she didn't and he lit into her older brother. She learned a lot about how much she'll never know about any given dog that day. Her brother was fine, but it was time for me to accept the fact that what made him an awesome gun/duck dog also made him incompatible with modern society. I miss him to this day.

And in the case you cite (I am sorry for the loss of your pet) I agree. a fear biter that attacks humans repeatedly would be a case that Quality Rescues will not (and should not) accept. The case above where a dog is not a fear biter, nor has any (shown) interest in attacking humans, might well be placed in a home that has an acre yard with a 6' privacy fence where it will never see another dog. Working closely with a rescue for quite a while (and with rescue dogs), I can tell you that there are definitely rescues out there that are very objective, and that they take the welfare of the public very seriously.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Similar issue happened to me, the neighbor who had a American Bulldog( pitbull on steroids). Over 3 years it attacked my papillon in my yard my, lab in my yard, then my wife small bite, as she walked down the lane. He want to know how how he could make things right. I told him that he all ready know. It turned out that it had bite other family member. Plus he had a 8 yrs old.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    And in the case you cite (I am sorry for the loss of your pet) I agree. a fear biter that attacks humans repeatedly would be a case that Quality Rescues will not (and should not) accept. The case above where a dog is not a fear biter, nor has any (shown) interest in attacking humans, might well be placed in a home that has an acre yard with a 6' privacy fence where it will never see another dog. Working closely with a rescue for quite a while (and with rescue dogs), I can tell you that there are definitely rescues out there that are very objective, and that they take the welfare of the public very seriously.

OK - I can concur with that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom