• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    My friend just received his renewal and apparently the restrictions have changed. He did not request any change.

Old Restrictions said:

- Valid only between residence "business name" office or while actively involved in financial business transactions as owner of same. Not valid were firearms are prohibited.

New restrictions:

- Valid only while conducting business as owner of "business name" Not valid where Firearms are prohibited.

My take is they became more permit holder friendly.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    My friend just received his renewal and apparently the restrictions have changed. He did not request any change.

Old Restrictions said:

- Valid only between residence "business name" office or while actively involved in financial business transactions as owner of same. Not valid were firearms are prohibited.

New restrictions:

- Valid only while conducting business as owner of "business name" Not valid where Firearms are prohibited.

This was adopted a while ago when the licensing division posted their SOP's. While this is in fact better, it also creates other gray areas that were not there before. No restrictions for those that have met their "G&S" would be much more preferred, especially since there is no requirement to issue a permit with restrictions.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I can be on my way to or from the company at any time of day or night. There is always a company laptop in my briefcase. That's a good change.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    While back a memo went out that seemed to try and standardize the restrictions. This is a good and bad thing imo. More standard restrictions, easier to understand and issue but also doesn't cover all situations.

I had a small business and could have kept it going but the cost and tax headache just wasn't worth it. My next renewal will not include the business, and I worry a little. I had a permit before the business and hope I can retain it without, but we shall see.

I hope at the point of my next renewal within the year, some things have changed so I can protect myself and family as I have been "qualified" to do.

TD

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    My restrictions haven't changed. Same craziness I had before I renewed. Just got the new permit about a week ago.

Guess I'm gonna wind up at the HPRB with Britt in about a year...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My restrictions haven't changed. Same craziness I had before I renewed. Just got the new permit about a week ago.

If it has the old business restriction, call Knaub. My wife got her renewal a few weeks ago and it had the old language. I called Knaub and questioned why the wording didn't match the MSP'S own SOP. She got a corrected permit in the mail about 4 days later.

EVERYONE WHO RENEWS SHOULD CHECK THOSE RESTRICTIONS!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    If it has the old business restriction, call Knaub. My wife got her renewal a few weeks ago and it had the old language. I called Knaub and questioned why the wording didn't match the MSP'S own SOP. She got a corrected permit in the mail about 4 days later.

EVERYONE WHO RENEWS SHOULD CHECK THOSE RESTRICTIONS!

Thanks, I'll give him a holler and see what happens.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    What would happen in this state if someone used a firearm in self defense and was found not to be conducting business?

I can't think of any situation in which I would use the term "friendly" in connection to Maryland gun laws. "Less ridiculously restrictive" would be my choice.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013

If you don't mind me asking what did the live shooting portion of your renewal class require from you as far as proficiency?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    An associate of mine and I were talking recently and I found out he had his permit. I asked him what his restrictions were and informed him about the new restrictions. He sent in a letter with $10 and had his restrictions updated.
    That's what I did with mine, but it was issued before the SOP change. I told Knaub that I didn't see as where my wife should have to cough up another $10 to have the restrictions worded the way they are supposed to be. He said it was an oversight on their end and a new permit would be issued. There was no arguing by either of us.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    First off a big shout out to CypherPunk for recommending Master NRA Instructor Ben Kelkye to me for the purpose of completing the training for the Maryland Handgun Qualification Course in order to renew my Maryland CCW permit. I was scheduled to take a class last Saturday from L5/S1 Tactical (stay away from these guys) but it was cancelled for "lack of interest" and was supposed to be rescheduled. Never the less the unprofessional folks at L5/S1 Tactical never bothered to call me back to reschedule as they promised. In steps Ben Kelkye to save the day as he was able to work me into his already full class set for this morning. Well needless to say it was a great class taught by one of the most experienced instructors in the area and we had a blast! The class was fun and informative and the live fire part of the course was really well done and challenging. I would recommend Ben who is based out of the Frederick IWLA for any of your future training needs.........first class job Ben, Thanks again!

Last edited:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    OP, thanks for posting this. I had heard this as a rumor and asked a cop I know about it and he said he was not aware of it. The person who told me initially said there was no official announcement that anything had changed, just that it now applied to simply conducting business as you say, although another poster says it was recorded as new SOP. In any case, good to hear confirmation. I might give this a try then soon.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    First off a big shout out to CypherPunk for recommending Master NRA Instructor Ben Kelkye to me for the purpose of completing the training for the Maryland Handgun Qualification Course in order to renew my Maryland CCW permit. I was scheduled to take a class last Saturday from L5/S1 Tactical (stay away from these guys) but it was cancelled for "lack of interest" and was supposed to be rescheduled. Never the less the unprofessional folks at L5/S1 Tactical never bothered to call me back to reschedule as they promised. In steps Ben Kelkye to save the day as he was able to work me into his already full class set for this morning. Well needless to say it was a great class taught by one of the most experienced instructors in the area and we had a blast! The class was fun and informative and the live fire part of the course was really well done and challenging. I would recommend Ben who is based out of the Frederick IWLA for any of your future training needs.........first class job Ben, Thanks again!
    Excellent. Ben ran a great class. Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited:

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Valid only while conducting business as owner of "business name" Not valid where Firearms are prohibited.

My take is one gray area traded for another.

"Where prohibited" could be if there is a sign displayed.

"Where prohibited by law" is less gray.

Do signs displayed stating no concealed weapons have force of law in the PMRD...? :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom