Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 13th, 2019, 12:11 PM #2181
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

I had a chance to set up my HF rig on the porch this past Sunday. First time on HF in several months. I didn't have my antenna strung up well so I didn't hear much besides FT8 and CW. I really need to learn CW.

I'm also going to try to engineer a better portable mast for the 130' EFHW. I'm going to use a series of smaller pvc pipes bolted together. We'll see how that goes. I'll share my design if it's successful.
Attached Images

Old August 13th, 2019, 01:00 PM #2182
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I had a chance to set up my HF rig on the porch this past Sunday. First time on HF in several months. I didn't have my antenna strung up well so I didn't hear much besides FT8 and CW. I really need to learn CW.

I'm also going to try to engineer a better portable mast for the 130' EFHW. I'm going to use a series of smaller pvc pipes bolted together. We'll see how that goes. I'll share my design if it's successful.
I don't think the bands were very good last weekend. Throw that wire up on the tree. Bow and arrow, sling shot, whatever as high as you can get it. String the excess to another tree or whatever you can use. I do pretty well with my endfed; but the bands are not very good right now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
IDPA Safety Officer
Amateur Radio
Keystone70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 04:39 PM #2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I really need to learn CW..
The Koch method worked for me, and was sooo much better than rote memorization. You basically start with two letters - K and M - and progressively add more as you get more proficient. When I was learning, I spent 30 minutes a day at lunch doing code study while I ate. I did that on-and-off for a month before I took the exam.
MigraineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:18 PM #2184
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraineMan View Post
The Koch method worked for me, and was sooo much better than rote memorization. You basically start with two letters - K and M - and progressively add more as you get more proficient. When I was learning, I spent 30 minutes a day at lunch doing code study while I ate. I did that on-and-off for a month before I took the exam.
Thanks. I have the app on my tablet for this. I started and got ok for about 10 letters at 15 wpm. Then I started reading about the best way to learn CW. The thing it said NOT to do was to build a lookup table in your head, which was exactly what I was doing. I was struggling to hear the words as if it were it's own language. Then I got discouraged and quit. I'll try to pick it up again, I guess slow CW is better than no CW.

One thing about CW that really encourages me is when I was at my old house I was picking up a guy from Antartica. I thought that was cool as hell. I don't know if he could have heard me with my 100 watts but it would have been neat to try. I have a straight key my elmer gave me. I really need to get back into this.

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland