• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Can I have a firearm on board as I boat in MD?
    Does the "Castle Doctrine" apply? Or has it been adopted in MD for that matter?

Thanks.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    IIRC, long guns ok. Handgun is iffy. You probably have to follow the rules for transport while under way (locked in case, ammo separate). If you are sleeping in it for the night, you can treat it like your residence. If you are on a dredge boat or tugboat, special rules.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Thank-you for the reply. We we're just talking and I thought about this topic. Actually, this would pertain to canoe or kayaking....how would I defend my "Everything" and my life also. Coming from PA things are different in MD. Just trying to follow the laws as they stand now.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is not legal advice, but just my way of thinking. If in doubt, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Your choice and I'm sure there will be mitigating circumstances. Each outing should be considered as it's own adventure.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Definitely, a question I'd run by a lawyer specializing in Maryland firearm law before leaving shore armed.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    If you get stopped by the man, the first they ask is if you have guns on board. I also would like an answer to this question.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you get stopped by the man, the first they ask is if you have guns on board. I also would like an answer to this question.
    I have been on board many boats checked here by DNR and offshore by the Coast Guard. I have never been asked that by DNR, but the Coast Guard, yes.. for sure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, long guns ok. Handgun is iffy. You probably have to follow the rules for transport while under way (locked in case, ammo separate). If you are sleeping in it for the night, you can treat it like your residence. If you are on a dredge boat or tugboat, special rules.

Not required if you stay in MD. Only unloaded in enclosed care or holster.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I am not a lawyer. But if you read the wear,carry statute it pretty much refers to boats just the same as automobiles.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I assume boating in the bay between the MD eastern shore and the western mainland, MD rules apply. What about seaside? How far offshore before you leave MD jurisdiction? Do coasties pick up where MD leaves off or are there areas of joint jurisdiction? if joint, do coasties enforce fed law or MD state law in MD jurisdiction?

FYI, I've been watching border patrol on Netflix. In Washington state pot is legal. However, its illegal under federal law. CBP enforces federal law at Washington state border crossings and cites violators for possession even though they are physically standing in Washington state. Would the same doctrine apply to coasties (federal) and firearms on boats? Stopped by coasties, conform to federal law. Stopped by MD, conform with MD law.

Thumper07

May 2, 2017
    Anne arundel county
    Speaking of CCW restrictions on where you can and cannot carry, what are ya'lls thoughts on conceal carry in church. The MD criminal law and Public safety statuates I have read have confused me. Would anyone like to toss in there two cents?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Speaking of CCW restrictions on where you can and cannot carry, what are ya'lls thoughts on conceal carry in church. The MD criminal law and Public safety statuates I have read have confused me. Would anyone like to toss in there two cents?

The first rule of Church CCW club............

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The first rule of Church CCW club............

Roger on the CCW church club.... it's still alway good to know what the right answer is.... I know what my answer is.

Concur.

Friends don't ask, and don't tell. :innocent0

Just as a point of reference, not long ago I was teaching a W&C class; one of the students was/is the head minister of a large church here in Maryland. During one of the breaks/discussions he mentioned that not only did he carry (in church and every where else legally permitted), but so did many in his church, and several of their officers/leadership. He cited passing the plate, and inviting 'anyone' to join them, the size of the crowd and his willingness, if required to save lives by stopping a would-be murder. He simply wanted to be able to protect himself and those around him.

Laws that prevent this man, or anyone else (reasonable person, not prohibited, etc.) that wants to do the same should in itself be a crime. Who are you to tell any of us that we have a 'Good and Substantial' reason to defend ourselves? The height of hypocrisy are those that have armed guards, or are legally armed themselves to pass this kind of 'judgement' on their fellow man.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Back in the 90s a priest from St. Mary's in Laurel was a regular at On Target. Not sure if he carried, but he had no issue shooting at the human shaped tergets. I assumed he was a Luke 22:36 kinda guy.

When my son was younger (not in MD) his game in church was spotting the concealed carriers, of which there were normally plenty. I had to be satisfied with counting the ceiling tiles when I was his age...

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    As I understand the guns on boats thing here, if the boat is moored it is like being in a domicile. Underway it is a vehicle.

The one time I was stopped by the CG they asked if I had weapons aboard, asked (nicely) if they could come aboard. They did not search but instead asked to see certain, required, equipment.

I am not a lawyer and I won't publicly state if we have guns on board or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom