• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    My dad recently purchased 1000 rounds of 9mm from Cabela's during one of their big Labor day sales. He recieved the ammo this week and it looks like this.

2016-09-08.jpg

2016-09-08.jpg

This was the response from Cabela's after he asked them to replace the ammo.

"Thank you for contacting Cabela's. We would be happy to assist you.

We are sorry to hear that you received defective merchandise. Unfortunately, ammunition is a non returnable item.

You will need to take the ammunition to your local police or Sheriff's office and have them dispose of it and email/fax us a copy of the disposal information form along with their name, address, and contact phone #. Please also include how many boxes/rounds are being destroyed. You may send the paperwork to the following email address or the following fax number
    E-Mail: customer.service@cabelas.com
    Fax: 1-308-254-6754

Please reference case number 3495563. Once we receive disposal paperwork we will be able to send out a replacement"

Is this^ the SOP for something like this?
    Have you seen ammo look like this before? Is it safe?

Appreciate the input guys.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Looks like it got a little damp. Can you feel the spots by dragging your fingernail across them? If not, I'd go ahead and shoot it. Looks odd but may not be a big deal. As long as it chambers okay I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen surplus that looked much worse and shot fine.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    As far as ammo being non-returnable and to be disposed of at local LEO office? Yes.

Cabela's shipped me 2 boxes of 12ga when I ordered 20 ga a few years back. When I called they told me to take it to local police or give it to someone who could use it. It was only 2 boxes so they didn't raise a fuss about sending me 2 more boxes with the right ga ammo.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Great....I just bought 4000 rounds of 9mm ammo from Cabelas this past sale. Haven't received it yet.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I wouldn't sweat it. If it's like the CCI that I have, it's superficial. No effect on usability.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Green is bad. If you see white crystals, it is bad. Fingernail test and see what happens.

Personally it looks ok to shoot. I've bought ammo before and when I opened the boxes, some of the cases looked really gnarly, but they shot just fine and cleaned up real nice in my tumbler.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Doesn't look corroded, looks stained somehow. Try wiping it off.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Photos definitely make it appear that it's just tarnished, not corroded. It'll run just fine, especially given that the cases outside of the tarnish spots look to be smooth and free of oxidation. I've run stuff that has been dull, almost bronze-like, through my firearms before with no issues. As others have said, the fingernail test is the way to go.

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    Years ago I bought two cases of Winchester 12 gauge low noise/low recoil shells that had been water damaged. The sprinkler system in the gun store's storage area had failed with a slow leak. A pallet of these shell case got thoroughly soaked over a holiday weekend. The store was selling them at cost so I took a chance as the owner promised to refund my money if they didn't fire reliably.

And let me tell you they looked much worse than those in your pictures. Much worse.

I used them for years in cowboy shooting matches. I never had a failure to fire. From this I would say try them out but be careful. My guess is they will be just fine.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can't speak to the ammo in your case, but ordered 220 rounds of .308 a few weeks back, got delivered crushed with some of the boxes having split open and loose rounds in the shipping box. Only had 1 layer of bubble wrap for 11 boxes of 20. Told them about they said thanks for bringing to our attention but no offer to refund shipping even though my product was partially mangled.

198c2cc7c4744c0f01b290ccd5b6ae96.jpg

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom