• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I finally got my 10/22 to the range. Sadly I didn't use thread locker on the scope base screws so it kept coming loose. I'd get about 20-30rnds in and then I'd get a little wiggle. It didn't help I could only put them back on loosely as my only choices for flat heads were way too big or too small as I didn't think to grab my screw driver kit.

Anyway, other than failing to hold open on last round and the loose base, awesome. It is by no means a target rifle but I was getting decent accuracy. A little hard to tell if it was the heat (89F in the shade) and the high round count (I think I put 400rnds through it in 2hrs), but some ammo was not shooting well with a few FTF and about half a dozen stove pipes.

I only took 20rnds of minimags with me, but those shot the best. Best 5rnd group was 1" on the nose at 50yds and the worst was 2.5" with an obvious flier with the other two groups coming in just over an inch. Velocitors were good too with a pair of 1.25-1.5" 5 round groups. Federal 40gr gameshok were pretty good at about 1.5". Nothing else was that good. Browning HV was coming in around 4", automatch about 1.5" but a lot of fliers that weren't me, about 1 in 5 were a good 2" out from the main group. Armscor was pretty good at around 2", Winchester was crap as it was in my mossberg coming in around 3.5". Remington golden bullets were actually the worst at about 5".

That was all I had with me to shoot. I still have about 6 other kinds of ammo I didn't shoot through it today. Next time for sure I'll try to take a bit of each of the rest. I have high hopes for a lot of the other stuff I have like the CCI standards, Aguila standards and super extras.

The FTFs and stove pipes were only on the crappier ammo. The CCI, Armscor and federals all functioned flawlessly. The banner 1-4x32 also worked well. Though using it at the range gives me the feeling that I'd be happier with a 2-7x32, which I might switch to at some point, but this will do fine for now. It was just a reminder that unless I am shooting at closer than 10yds, I really don't need less than 2x and really 3x as the minimum could be fine so long as I wasn't shooting at anything moving and closer than about 10-15yds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and I absolutely think I'll get something with a bentz chamber later as I'd like even more accuracy, but the better ammo being sub 2" at 50yds is my minimum required accuracy for a 22lr and this beats that easily with a couple of the better ammo choices.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One thing I noticed, yeah trigger pull is higher than I'd like, but mine is low creep and trigger break is very predicatable. I love the shape of the trigger also. It ain't as nice as my Sako, but frankly for a stock $199 rifle I am impressed. I still want to get a nicer trigger at some point, but this stock one is okay.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    For $100 or less, you can get a nice trigger for the 10/22. A Ruger BX drop in is easiest or you can have the existing trigger worked on (probably for less). There are places that specialize in them but I can't remember the names. I'm sure someone else here will chime in. The stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Ruger BX trigger is what I have planned eventually.

That and a new barrel and stock are in the works, but I need to finish building my AR before I can devote money to my 10/22

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I already have the auto bolt release. That and a poly/steel buffer pin went in within a week of owning the gun.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Not a target rifle?

This young man shot one of only three perfect scores (Maryland, Appleseed) with a bone stock 10/22.

Be careful not to over tighten the scope mount screws they are easy to strip.

Attachments

• JakeGunRange5-clear_zpsyclxjoak.jpg
      JakeGunRange5-clear_zpsyclxjoak.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 393

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine are now as tight as possible with a simple small grip screw driver and some red locktite. Fingers crossed it'll hold it this time. I think a lot of my groups probably would have been tighter if not for them. Most of the groups I tried to tighten down the screws before shooting each set of rounds for accuracy and I checked afterward to see if the scope was tight and it seemed to be, but it was only taking 30 or so rounds to get the scope base noticeably loose. So I'd shoot two 5 round groups from one type of ammo, then the same for the next type, then "blaze away" with whatever for a few mags. Tighten things down, blaze away, cease fire, tighten it down, shoot a couple of mags for accuracy checking on fresh paper, blaze,tighten, rinse and repeat.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Now go get yourself one of these and REALLY have some fun....
    Works great for me, no failures when filled to 100 rounds

Attachments

• 20160815_113821.jpg
      20160815_113821.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 365

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think by the time I had it loaded we'd be worried about election 2020.

The BX-25s are just perfect for me. I've got three BX-10 and a BX-25. I'd like another 25 and maybe a couple of 15s as it makes the 10/22 a bit more maneuverable on the bench. Don't figure I really need more than that. Doesn't mean I'll never get more than that, but that is my baseline.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I think by the time I had it loaded we'd be worried about election 2020.

The BX-25s are just perfect for me. I've got three BX-10 and a BX-25. I'd like another 25 and maybe a couple of 15s as it makes the 10/22 a bit more maneuverable on the bench. Don't figure I really need more than that. Doesn't mean I'll never get more than that, but that is my baseline.

The BX-25s are nice but I also like the BX-25 +2.
    Why? Because I go to PA or Delaware for 'em just to spite Maryland, same reason for the 110-rounder.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Took the Ruger 10-22 to the range today. Shot it along with the Savage MK-II BTV and Marlin XT-22.

The Ruger shot tighter groups (1.5") at 50 yds than the bolt guns, all using Federal bulk ammo. These are fantastic, fun rifles.

I did install a Hornet trigger with adjustable tension and over-travel, and it has a Nikon 9x40 rimfire zoom scope on it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I am finding that 4x is kind of limiting. I think once squirrel season opens in a few weeks I'll be fine with a 1-4, but it is seriously making me rethink what I was planning for my 5.56 AR. I am really thinking a 2-7x32 would be the way to go or even a 3-9x40. As a varmiter the more the better, but I also know 95% of its use will be punching paper and maybe the rare deer (though I'll probably get a 6.5 Grendel or SPC upper for that).

Also since I plan on QD rings and flip up BUIS it isn't like I really need anything less than a 3 power...

Dunno. So many choices. I guess I could always get a couple of scopes and swap between them depending on what I was going to be doing.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I originally put in a Volquartsen target hammer, eventually tried the BX trigger and for me the BX is better. I have a Take Down and it definitely is fun to shoot. Mine loves Fed Automatch. I tried about 7 different brands and Fed automatch and CCI SV were the two best.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah I am finding that 4x is kind of limiting. I think once squirrel season opens in a few weeks I'll be fine with a 1-4, but it is seriously making me rethink what I was planning for my 5.56 AR. I am really thinking a 2-7x32 would be the way to go or even a 3-9x40. As a varmiter the more the better, but I also know 95% of its use will be punching paper and maybe the rare deer (though I'll probably get a 6.5 Grendel or SPC upper for that).

Also since I plan on QD rings and flip up BUIS it isn't like I really need anything less than a 3 power...

Dunno. So many choices. I guess I could always get a couple of scopes and swap between them depending on what I was going to be doing.

4X is good enough for me on a light rifle. Anything higher will really show your pulse. Which will then make you chase the cross hairs.

Are you shooting off the bench or using a sling from prone?

Personally I prefer the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire fixed 4X scopes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4X is fine for field shooting, or shooting at single bullseye. Heck I even like 2.5x-2.75-3x scopes .

But for the 50/50BR targets with a zillion bulls on a standard piece of paper, I found myself wanting more magnification just to tell those little suckers apart.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Off the bench off bags and off the bench offhand. Once I get to hap I'll probably try to do some prone shooting with the sling. I got an old M1 carbine along for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom