• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been carrying IWB at 4 o'clock for as long as I have been back in VA (4 years). I usually carry a Glock 19 90% of the time. When I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the M&P shield goes on as it carries more comfortably on the hot days. I decided to order a G-Code Incog holster (meant for Appendix carry) for the M&P Shield and wore it out for the first time today. Here are my thoughts:

PROS:

Well made, quality holster
    Very comfortable when standing/walking
    Great retention
    Belt clips are the best I've seen on any holster I've owned (Took some force to get the holster off my belt)
    Conceals extremely well, no printing whatsoever. (Had on shorts and a tan t-shirt)

CONS:

Muzzle pointed at the family jewels (Mainly my mind playing tricks on me)
    Had to adjust it a bit when driving and sitting down to eat

I have always carried with one in the chamber and the safety off (When carrying the shield). Today was the first time I decided to engage the safety on my shield. I know that it was not the smartest thing to do as I do not practice going from safe to fire when drawing. However, I was extremely nervous. I had all sorts of horrible thoughts about the gun "going off" and destroying my junk.
    I know that it wouldn't happen as the trigger is covered, but I just couldn't get over the "what if" scenario. It felt like the first time carrying with one in the chamber. I remember how nervous I was when I first started carrying, but quickly got over it.
    I'm not even sure why I'm writing this post, but I just wanted to share my experience with you all. It goes to show that no matter how much experience you have carrying, changing things up does take you back to rookie status....at least it did for me.

I find AIWB carry to be the best way to conceal a handgun when wearing light clothing..at least for someone like me. I hope to get past my irrational fear, if it is indeed irrational.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_1025 (800x600).jpg
      IMG_1025 (800x600).jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 729

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good report, thanks. This will be especially appreciated by those new to carrying, and appendix inside the waistband (AWIB) carriers.

I started AIWB, and then carried many years both AIWB, strong side hip, and a couple other popular variations. As I got fatter and older, couldn't carry AIWB any longer. I'd suggest that with good training and practice, AIWB is probably the best possible method if you have the physique to get away with it.

Disclaimer - we are always only talking about law-abiding citizens carrying legally.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Nice I just received my G Code INCOG and XST holsters last week. I got the INCOG just out of appendix carry curiosity and while I can't ccw here, around the house it's more comfortable than I thought. Tried it in other positions too and it seems like it would work fine. Mine is similar to yours but with an orange thingy. XST is pretty awesome too. The hood mechanism is sweat! Both of seem to be of great quality.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    Nice... I purchased a $10 or $12 belly band on amazon after a friend recommend it... it is a nice fit for the glock 43... with two mags. It is also great (even better, I'd say) for the smith and wes airweight 38. I agree about the glock 19... definitely what I carry, when I'm outside of MD.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I would probably use my XDs for aiwb, the grip safety may help ease my mind alittle.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    About two years ago, went to one of Pat Goodale classes and all of his trainers, with the exception of Pat had appendix carry. Thought at the time, that was very dangerous and then read a few threads on the CONS of appendix carry confirming my concern. Last year, returned to Pat's and not one of his trainers was appendix carrying. Was going to ask, but was having too much fun and forgot.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I carry a Glock 43 aiwb, and it is super comfortable and convenient.

Use a good holster, maintain trigger discipline, and you're fine.

Guns don't just go off.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I would probably use my XDs for aiwb, the grip safety may help ease my mind alittle.

The reason I don't carry an XD/1911 or other variant is because of the grip safety. Unload the gun and place it in position then try gripping it with your other hand. I've never been able to get a good grab on the first try that deactivates the grip safety and allows me to press the trigger and have it function wothout adjusting my grip.
    IMO AIWB is best served by Glock/SIG style guns with no manual safeties.

jking22sf

Dec 12, 2012
    Somewhere in Maryland
    I used to only carry at the 8 or 9 o clock position being a lefty for IwB. Then I bought a raven eidolon last October and carry aiwb exclusively off duty. I'm able to carry my 26,19, and 17 in the same holster. And now I have a T. rex arms aiwb holster for when I want to carry my 43. It took some getting used to and you just have to get over the fact that it's pointed at your junk and near your femoral. Like anything else it just takes practice and knowing the gun isn't just going to go off. The weapon conceals much better for me then when it's on my side and I'm much faster on my draw. The only time I really notice it is when I'm either getting in or out of my car, but driving with it is fine and you can actually draw very easily while seated in a car if needed compared to having it behind the hip. I'm sure aiwb isn't for everyone due to body types but I have found it works best for me for sure

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Nice... I purchased a $10 or $12 belly band on amazon after a friend recommend it... it is a nice fit for the glock 43... with two mags. It is also great (even better, I'd say) for the smith and wes airweight 38. I agree about the glock 19... definitely what I carry, when I'm outside of MD.

I am not telling anyone what to do or don't do. However, after conducting weapons inspections and seeing what happens to a Glock 22, carried in a belly band for six months... I will not use one nor advise others to do so EXCEPT if that person is hyper vigilant with cleaning and keeping the sweat out of the pistol. Body sweat is high saline and corrosive. Daily carry and minor neglect caused a major problem for one individual when the rail tabs in the frame of the duty pistol actually became perforated with rust. The striker spring was coated with rust and perforated/corroded as well. The pistol was trashed because it was unsafe to fire.

That said, it is your pistol and it is your choice. Do as you feel comfortable doing. BUT, regular cleaning and inspection is a MUST.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    AIWB is pretty much the only way I carry unless in a tactical belt or a class or something demands 3 o'clock carry.

I've rocked AIWB in multiple classes including two with Paul Howe, two with Mike Pannone, one with John Murphy, one with Steve Fisher, and the last two days with Kyle Defoor.

I usually use a Glock 19, occasionally a 26 and recently got a 43 as another option. All my parts are still attached. And all the instructors I mentioned above carry the same way.

I currently use the Raven Concealment Eidolon:
    https://wordpress.com/stats/day/civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    AIWB is pretty much the only way I carry unless in a tactical belt or a class or something demands 3 o'clock carry.

I've rocked AIWB in multiple classes including two with Paul Howe, two with Mike Pannone, one with John Murphy, one with Steve Fisher, and the last two days with Kyle Defoor.

I usually use a Glock 19, occasionally a 26 and recently got a 43 as another option. All my parts are still attached. And all the instructors I mentioned above carry the same way.

I currently use the Raven Concealment Eidolon:
    https://wordpress.com/stats/day/civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

Larry Vickers and company have banned AIWB in their classes

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Larry Vickers and company have banned AIWB in their classes

I know. And he took a lot of heat for that, including from some of his own former teammates. For example, Paul Howe does not allow anyone to carry beyond 3 o'clock in his classes. Behind your hip isn't allowed. If you can't look your pistol into its holster, then you can't see if something is in the way. Sure as shit in Defoor's class this weekend one guy carrying at about 3:30 damned near shot himself when his shirt tail got caught. Kyle caught it and literally saved his ass.

And Vickers couldn't carry AIWB anyway....a little too much spare tire.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I know. And he took a lot of heat for that, including from some of his own former teammates. For example, Paul Howe does not allow anyone to carry beyond 3 o'clock in his classes. Behind your hip isn't allowed. If you can't look your pistol into its holster, then you can't see if something is in the way. Sure as shit in Defoor's class this weekend one guy carrying at about 3:30 damned near shot himself when his shirt tail got caught. Kyle caught it and literally saved his ass.

And Vickers couldn't carry AIWB anyway....a little too much spare tire.

LOL, besides his F'bombs, for sure he has a spare tire. :lol2:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    That said, it is your pistol and it is your choice. Do as you feel comfortable doing. BUT, regular cleaning and inspection is a MUST.

Thanks for the reminder. Reading this, I realized that I hadn't really checked on my Glock 26 that I carry IWB in a Kydex holster in a few months.

I typically just pull the entire gun/holster off my belt when I get home.

Well, I checked it tonight. Dust bunnies galore! Sloughed skin inside the holster and where the grip rests on my side.

Cleaned up easily, no sign of rust. A can of compressed air took care of the holster...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the reminder. Reading this, I realized that I hadn't really checked on my Glock 26 that I carry IWB in a Kydex holster in a few months.

I typically just pull the entire gun/holster off my belt when I get home.

Well, I checked it tonight. Dust bunnies galore! Sloughed skin inside the holster and where the grip rests on my side.

Cleaned up easily, no sign of rust. A can of compressed air took care of the holster...

You should have shot it like that. Just to see if it works.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I carry my Shield 9 AIWB every day in a Crossbreed holster. So comfortable it's easy to forget it's there. Super concealable even in a t-shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom