• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Ok, so I thought I was dead set on picking up a Ruger Mark III (or similar model) to start my kids off shooting. I was at Bass Pro today and they had both the SR22 and a Ruger Mark III in the case. Unfortunately there was a huge line and I didn't have time to wait to try and take a look at them.

The SR22 seems to actually have a smaller grip than the Mark III. If that is the case I might lean towards that instead. Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of the two? How does the SR22 stack up on reliability and functionality? Thanks in advance for your help!

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Let me say this first.

I don't have a Mark III.

However, I do have a SR22 and it has been dead nuts reliable. I have probably close to 1000 rounds through it with only one cleaning.

I do need to pick up more mags though. I have 3 right now. Not enough for prolonged shooting.

Oh, and it's much easier to field strip then a Mark III.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I own an mkII and love it
    Ive held an sr22 in a gunstore and found that it fit my hand perfectly despite being a very small pistol. The sights also lined up good and looked precise despite having a short sight radius. The trigger is the only thing that turned me away. For a target pistol the trigger on the mkii is way lighter and easier to use, for a da/sa trainer maybe the trigger on the sr22 is better. I may get an sr22 eventually. If theres ever an aftermarket trigger option I'll be all over it

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    I just had this exact dilema a week ago. I kept going back and forth on the SR 22 and the Mark III and just couldn't make up my mind so I bought them both! I just did the paperwork yesterday and will be able to pick them up next Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait as I am anxious to shoot both of them! I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    It seems that the members agree that SR22 is a fine pistol. An IP here Hog Sniper from HighRock had three or so. I bought one recently for my wife from him. We haven't picked it up yet, but I got to hold it and passed it around to a bunch of folks at the ffl (bollingers).
    All liked the grip.
    As for firing? Sorry can't help you there.

I have a ruger 22/45 as well. I really like that plinker. It's so smooth.

I would suggest a sr22 if it is for general use.

Good luck...

Ferg

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Dorchester County
    I have an SR22 and a Mark II. Both do what they are supposed to do. The grip is a little smaller on the SR, but it comes with a larger grip replacement and little mini mag extenders.

I think my wife prefers shooting the SR, and it feels and looks more like a "real" pistol.

Good Luck

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I have an SR-22, and I like it a lot. It is incredibly reliable even with crap ammo, the double action trigger is mushy, but it is just fine single action. Cleaning it is a breeze and it is well-made. It is a fun little gun to shoot. I always enjoy shooting it.

Since this is for a new shooter - here is one thing to think about. It is a short barreled gun, basically a 22 version of a subcompact. Although the gun itself is very accurate, that short sight radius means it is not the easiest gun to get tight groups with. You really have to do your part. Like all smaller pistols, it punishes your mistakes without mercy. Personally, I like that, because it forces me to practice good fundamentals, but it is certainly not the most easy gun in the world to master.

I don't have any direct experience with the Mark II, but I assume it would be both a bit easier to shoot accurately and a lot harder to clean than the SR-22.

ankrklankr

Ok, so I thought I was dead set on picking up a Ruger Mark III (or similar model) to start my kids off shooting. I was at Bass Pro today and they had both the SR22 and a Ruger Mark III in the case. Unfortunately there was a huge line and I didn't have time to wait to try and take a look at them.

The SR22 seems to actually have a smaller grip than the Mark III. If that is the case I might lean towards that instead. Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of the two? How does the SR22 stack up on reliability and functionality? Thanks in advance for your help!

If a smaller grip is a deciding factor, look at the Beretta Neos - looks a bit space agey but it works well - one of the plus items, in addition to the narrower grip, is that one can field strip the pistol for cleaning w/o tools!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have both and find each a pleasure to shoot. The downside is the cleaning of the Mark II/III series. Once you get the hang of reassembling (or installing the Speed-Strip Kit from Majestic Arms), cleaning the Mark II/III is not longer a chore.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    My vote goes for the MKIII. Great time-tested gun. The deciding factor is the availablity of the "Ultimate Cliploader." It lets you load a full mag in 5 seconds and really makes the gun a joy to shoot.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Another vote for the Mark III. Annoying to strip the first time because it is unlike every other semi auto on the market, but it's an accurate, work horse of a suppressor host :)

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I own a Mark I, II, and III. I also own an SR22. They are all nice pistols. The Marks are much more accurate. For kids just starting out, accuracy is important and fun. If they can't hit anything, they will not enjoy shooting and give up on it quickly. I started shooting the Mark I at the age of five, so I don't think size will be an issue. I recommend both pistols, but if that is not an option, go with the Mark.

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    I've lost count on how many rounds I've fired through my Mark III Hunter over the years, Just a few hundred through the SR-22 so far. Both are reliable and fun to shoot.
    Only problems I've ever had with either one was do to bad (Cheap Bulk) ammo. Same batch stove piped and failed to fire in my 10/22, 10/22 takedown, GSG AK47, Mark III, and the SR-22.
    Love them both and would never sell either one.
    As has bin said the SR-22 has a smaller grip which may be better for smaller hands but the Mark III with it's 6' barrel is more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom