• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    So my wife and I have 2 outdoor cats that have been getting cornered and harassed nightly by a red fox. We are awoken around 1-3 am with that unique fox "scream" and upon opening the front door I find my wifes 2 cats backed up to the door with the fox about 5-10 yards off the porch just standing there hollering at them.

My question is this. What is the legality of some upstanding citizen popping that fox with a .177 varmint round from a break barrel pellet rifle?

Or do I have to just call animal control and wait for them to do nothing.
    I feel like its only a matter of time before the fox becomes more aggressive and possibly harms one of the cats.

Edit:
    For clarification,
    We are deep in the heart of moco in a subdivision.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    With you living in the Anti gun, anti hunting area of Rockville they may lock you up for killing a predator animal. I would take care of it and not mention it in any open forum. The PETA patrol monitors all websites for injustice towards animals.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    The cats are both hunters. Maine Coons. They live for going outside at night and bringing back a bounty of field mice and small birds. It wouldnt be fair to them to lock them up all night. Also then they would just cry at the door all night lol.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    This thread might go differently was you a Caps fan...

Never. I bleed Rangers blue.

But seriously, my wife loves her cats. I personally dont care for them but they make her happy so they are here to stay. So lets stop the cat bashing, and focus on the question at hand.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Now to wait for someone else from moco to post a "legality of shooting feral cats in the yard" thread.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Never. I bleed Rangers blue.

But seriously, my wife loves her cats. I personally dont care for them but they make her happy so they are here to stay. So lets stop the cat bashing, and focus on the question at hand.
    I didn’t bash cats. If that’s what you read, well...

Truth is you solicited input. I attempted levity.

I am not a cat guy. I am a dog guy. If I ever considered having a cat, it’d be a coon cat. Feel better yet?

Foxes are outdoor, wild animals. Cats are intended to be domestic.

MOCO is a liberal haven. My great grandfather was Sheriff of MOCO 120 years ago. It has changed dramatically for the worst sadly.

You have cats. The cats have an issue with a fox. You live in MOCO.

Wound the fox. Bad move for host of reasons I won’t elaborate. Implications for kits aren’t good.

Kill the fox. Solves the problem (for now) but it needs to be done without knowledge of others. It needs to be done humanely and “right the first time.” This also potentially orphans kits

Have the fox professionally caught and relocated. This is the MOCO way in this day and age. Probably not cheap but temporarily resolves your issue.

Foxes will keep coming back. It’s what they do. Their only real predators in MOCO are cars and trucks.

There, blue bleeder, are your options as I see them. Cats and Rangers and MOCO...you’re in a tough spot.

Let your conscience be your guide. If you cannot kill it quietly, get a pro to remove it. Temp solutions are just that.

I did not forget another choice...move to the country and let Mother Nature sort them out. Any cat worth it’s salt can climb a tree. Foxes, thusfar in evolution, cannot.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I live off of 124 between Fieldcrest and Warfield roads in the Laytonsville area. When the pickings get slim in the wooded areas and the Golf courses the Fox come into our neighborhood looking for chipmunk and cat to put on their menu. Generally our cat is in just after dark lessening the chance that it becomes fox food. We have lost some cats in the neighborhood in years past to the foxes, circle of life thing.

Our next door neighbor, who had outdoor cats, lost one to the cold about 15 years ago. It was a cold winter and their cats were outside cats. Thomas, the cat, was missing and he was eventually found frozen stiff in my bushes next to the house. Circle of life moment for animals that live outdoors.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since you want to do what is legal in accordance with forum rules.

IIRC you can't discharge even a nerf gun in Mont. Co.

Your next option would be trapping however fox is considered a fur bearer in Maryland. Probably requires a hunting license and a trapping license both of which require separate classes before you get a license and come with hunting restrictions and seasons (trapping requires you to kill the animal or release it where you caught it). The rules for crop damage and problem wildlife may differ.

Plan of action:
    Call animal control and see what they say.
    Call DNR and see what they say.

My guess is your only legal option will probably be to contact a Maryland licensed professional critter remover and pay to make it go away.
    Link to DNR nuisance wildlife page, include lists of professionals:
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/nw.aspx

Copied from DNR Wildlife Problems page:
    Please note: Homeowners are strictly prohibited from trapping and shooting wildlife outside regulated seasons, unless the animal has been actively causing property damage or is an obvious threat to public health and safety. If this course of action is taken under such circumstances, you must still comply with state trapping laws and local firearms restrictions. When necessary, landowner trapping permits may be obtained by calling 1-877-463-6497.

Relocation of rabies-vector species (raccoon, skunk, and fox) is prohibited under the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 08.03.15.24. This restriction is necessary to prevent human-assisted spread of this disease and is an important component of the state’s nuisance wildlife control program.

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Oh, I forgot to add... if you're in Rockville, call Animal Control. They're good folks and will do what they can to trap and relocate the fox.

Animal Control was quite effective in getting my neighbor's cat to stop sitting on (and scratching) my vehicles. :thumbsup: On a completely related note, it's hilarious watching a middle-aged man sitting in a plastic chair with a retractable leash in his hand, connected to a cat sitting on the roof of his own car. The look on his face was priceless!

-John

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I support the idea of trapping the fox, with the stated intent of relocating it. Now, if you choose to relocate it in a non-viable state, that's up to you.

I read somewhere that somebody once upon a time placed a trap in his or her yard where it was not visible to anybody but the homeowner. Baited the trap with chicken and rib bones, and the next morning when the fox had feasted on a good meal, humanely put the fox out of its misery with a .22 pellet from an air rifle to the head. Double bagged the carcass in very thick contractor's trash bags, and handed it off to a supportive neighbor who had an appropriate place for the relocation.

Just an urban myth, you understand. :D

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    I didn’t bash cats. If that’s what you read, well..

I was not saying you were the cat basher lol. Someone just above you posted that. My mistake for quoting you and then referring to another poster.

I appreciate the suggestions and will think on them.

Also as a side note, caps will choke as they always do. It is just a matter of time. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom