• More complicated than a Yes/No

Votes: 5 3.4%
    • No opinion

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Are you in favor of hunting on Sunday? What would it take for us to have hunting on Sunday? Honestly, I haven't hunted in a couple years, and the single biggest impediment is that I can't hunt on Sunday. I know we have Sunday for deer and turkey in certain places and situations. I hunt squirrel mostly. Also, I am limited to public land.

If you're not in favor of Sunday hunting, please state why. I won't jump on anybody for their thoughts. I am genuinely curious if we could make this happen.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I believe we should have it and cannot think of a good reason we do not. I only hunt rifle season. It would give me additional time.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I think Sunday hunting should be allowed. It would give me more time in the woods, since I don't watch the NFL any more.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I think a big reason places do or don't do it has to do with deer population vs over hunting them. A currently low population from either over hunting last year, harsh previous winter, disease, well not adding an extra day helps keep it slightly higher. Along with bag limits too of course, but that can be hidden by people not calling them in, hunting a sunday is tougher to hide if caught. "I was just out, walking my gun, it likes the woodland scenery, officer".

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The problem with Sunday hunting is competition for Outdoor resources.

Equestrians constantly complain about hunters shooting a few farms over, that spook the horses on their property. And there other outdoor activities with similar complaints.

A solution would be to open all of the deer bow season to Sunday hunting. The Equestrians would lose the noise complaint argument.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    I think a big reason places do or don't do it has to do with deer population vs over hunting them. A currently low population from either over hunting last year, harsh previous winter, disease, well not adding an extra day helps keep it slightly higher. Along with bag limits too of course, but that can be hidden by people not calling them in, hunting a sunday is tougher to hide if caught. "I was just out, walking my gun, it likes the woodland scenery, officer".
    I'm fairly certain you're mistaken. It has everything to do with outdated, unnecessary blue laws and resistance from certain user-groups (e.g., equestrians). If hunting pressure via Sunday hunting increased enough to appreciably increase harvest, bag limits would be adjusted. It blows my mind that in this day and age, these laws remain on the books.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    We hasn't the outdoor gear/hunting industry lobbied to get this through?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Yes, the horse people shafted us here in Howard. I have no idea why they get a say in what I do on my PRIVATE land! Just more maryland shafting as I see it.

Now, if horse has a season and I can kill them on my land the rest of the week then maybe that would even out.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    DNR does manage hunting season for a certain number of animals taken. But are we really short of deer? Not a joke; it just doesn't appear to me that there's any shortage or risk to the deer population. Would a couple Sundays make a difference?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Anne Arundel County has the highest amount of horses per capita in the nation ... and we can hunt Sundays. The only time my horse spooks is dragging the deer back to the truck and sometimes when I shoot so I tie the reins together, just hang on a little. So I am a yes.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I did not know this

Sunday Hunting- The following small game species may be hunted on all Sundays during the open season on private and designated public lands in Allegany, Garrett and
    Washington counties: eastern cottontail rabbits, gray squirrels, eastern fox squirrels, red squirrels, quail (Washington County only), ruffed grouse, pheasants.
    Designated public lands open to Sunday hunting in Allegany, Garrett and Washington counties are ONLY: Billmeyer-Belle Grove Wildlife Management Area, Cunningham
    Swamp Wildlife Management Area, Dan’s Mountain Wildlife Management Area, Garrett State Forest, Green Ridge State Forest, Indian Springs Wildlife Management
    Area, McCoole Fishery Management Area, Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area, Potomac State Forest, Prather’s Neck Wildlife Management Area, Savage River State
    Forest, Sideling Hill Wildlife Management Area, Warrior Mountain Wildlife Management Area.

Anybody in Washington County got some squirrels they wouldn't miss?
    ETA: Still a 2+ hr drive for me. :(

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Unequivocally Hell Yes. For those that work 10+ hours a day Mon-Fri, and pretty often on Sat, it would be very nice to be able to hunt Sundays. It’s just about the only damn way I can relax any enjoy myself anymore. Make Monday off limits if you have to. It’s unfair that it’s the only licensed outdoor activity that you can’t do on what is typically your day off. Why not ban Sunday fishing?

While we’re at it, open the F-ing County Landfill on Sunday too. Bust my butt all day Sat on projects, or mass cleaning projects, only to miss the dump closing @4pm, having to wait all week until next Sat with a truck full of disgusting junk and trash.

Sorry. Rant over. :o

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    About 25 years ago I was at a candidates event for the reps and senators for the Damascus, MD area. We listened to all of the candidates and the Republican MD Senate candidate was talking about her legislative prowess. She described why she voted no on hunting on Sunday's in Dorchester County. The people in Dorchester County wanted to expand their economic base by allowing hunting on Sunday, just think of all of the increased hotel, restaurant, gas, convenience store sales and sales taxes, spurring economic activity that would have occurred. This blithering idiot of a State Senator said she liked ducks and didn't want people shooting any more of them so she voted no.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Anne Arundel County has the highest amount of horses per capita in the nation ... and we can hunt Sundays. The only time my horse spooks is dragging the deer back to the truck and sometimes when I shoot so I tie the reins together, just hang on a little. So I am a yes.
    Technically we can only hunt on two Sundays, the first Sunday in November for bow and the first Sunday of firearms season for shotgun, the other Sundays are closed.. ;)

It has been tried for years here, but the equestrian interests have always won the legislators over.

Attachments

• Hunting_Seasons_Calendar Sundays 2018.pdf
      411.1 KB · Views: 61

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Technically we can only hunt on two Sundays, the first Sunday in November for bow and the first Sunday of firearms season for shotgun, the other Sundays are closed.. ;)

It has been tried for years here, but the equestrian interests have always won the legislators over.

So who won those open Sundays, IIRC there was no hunting on any Sundays in AACO back in the day? I could be wrong.

Off to the range, you know where I'll be :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Should we be able to ? You betcha .

Is it opposed by groups with the political influence of 950lb gorilla ? Yup . They're wrong , we're right , but we're massively politically outnumbered .

Is this the absolutely highest priority gun/ hunting issue we face in Md ? Bit more of a personal judgement call , but probably not .

For me , I would support a change in Sunday hunting , but its well down the priorities of lobbying efforts .

Yes , full weekend hunting opportunity would greatly increase the net hunter days afield . But DNR is certainly able to tweak season lengths or bag limits to compensate if needed .

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So who won those open Sundays, IIRC there was no hunting on any Sundays in AACO back in the day? I could be wrong.

Off to the range, you know where I'll be :)
    Yes, you are right, it has only been the past several years that those Sundays have been available and it was the hunters that got them designated. It would be nice if we got more than two Sundays of a five month archery season to hunt on, especially for those that only have the option of hunting on the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom