• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    So as not to derail the home defense thread, I'm going to ask this in a new thread.

Teach those young'uns as early as possible. I did. When they became inquisitive, I'd use that as a teaching moment. My youngest, starting shooting at the age of 4 years old. The others didn't start until they were 7. But he also rode his bike without training wheels just after he turned 3 years old.

During this entire time, if they wanted to see any of my firearms, I'd make time to have a one on one teaching experience with whatever firearm they wanted to see. So for them, a firearm wasn't some mystical, magical toy for them. It was not to be taken lightly. Not one of my kids ever tried to get a firearm out of the safe on their own.

Look at the recent news stories where a young person was home alone and they knew what to do with a firearm. That's the type of teaching we need for our children. Then having a loaded firearm in and around the house is not a big deal to them.

Just one man's opinion.

this is me being curios and in no way critical... Did or do they have toy guns to play with? If they did, how did you ensure they understood the difference between toys and not toys. We have a grandson and I'm anticipating this possibly coming up. Thanks for any insights.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    There was the occasional gun around when I was little and We had toy guns.

There was never any confusion whatsoever.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Same as JH. The old man was the same way. I had clunkers ever since I could remember that he used to let me completely strip and re-assemble. Some turned to junk but he didn't care. There was no mystery and all the youngsters learned what a gun would do to a living creature when you pointed it and pulled the trigger. They are my earliest memories of using tools as well. I think he also did it to keep me busy when my mom was working. We were also responsible for maintaining all the fire-arms and ammunition in the house. My brother couldn't change a car tire but was a good wing shot.

Last edited:

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    So as not to derail the home defense thread, I'm going to ask this in a new thread.

this is me being curios and in no way critical... Did or do they have toy guns to play with? If they did, how did you ensure they understood the difference between toys and not toys. We have a grandson and I'm anticipating this possibly coming up. Thanks for any insights.

After reading: "how did you ensure they understood the difference between toys and not toys" I had to ask... Are guns laying around with toy guns at your house? Apologies if I completely misunderstood the questions.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    This question has to be asked in the context of an individual child. Each will have their own "right age" based on exposure and their individual awareness of responsibility for their actions.

I'd never leave loaded firearms laying around the house in plain sight--regardless of whether I had kids or not. But since my daughter has been about 6-7 I've left firearms accessible knowing she won't mess with them, even though she knows where they are.

Why? I allow her to handle them anytime she wants. I take her shooting. All the magic and mystery is gone, she understands exactly what will happen if she plays with them like toys and knows how to be safe.

And then, there are 21+ year olds I wouldn't trust around unsecured firearms. Plenty of YouTube videos of idiots handling guns poorly and negligent discharges. Being safe around firearms is NOT being able to distinguish between fake and real--that's pretty obvious to a kid. It's understanding the consequences of handling them poorly. Which is why the #1 rule in safety is: treat every firearm as if it were loaded. As soon as my kid comprehended that rule, she treated even airsoft as if it was lethal. We both cringe when shows on TV have actors unfamiliar with firearms handling them in an unsafe way.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    After reading: "how did you ensure they understood the difference between toys and not toys" I had to ask... Are guns laying around with toy guns at your house? Apologies if I completely misunderstood the questions.

No, neither are laying around. I'd do everything possible, short of no guns in the house, to keep the real gun away from them unless completely in a supervised teaching situation.

As noted above, it's child - dependent, but I was just curious if there was concern about the child distinguishing between a toy and a firearm if the toy gun was available to them.

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing?

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for bringing this up again. I have a 4 year old boy and he doesn't know there are guns in the house (locked up of course) nor has he seen them. I think a lot about when is the right time to begin talking to him about it. I just don't think he's ready yet so for now they're still out of sight.

Edited to add: I wish my Granny was still alive. My parents would send me by myself to Missouri (Missoura ha) every summer for weeks at a time by myself to stay with her. At 10 years old she'd say, 'Well Christopher, I think today we're going to go down to the levy and get you some fireworks, then we'll go pick vegetables at the farm and afterwards you can shoot the .22. After that we'll come back to town and get supper ready, and then maybe you and I will split a beer and play Gin Rummy.

God I miss that woman haha! Kinda sad to say but I shot more guns with my Granny than I did with my own father.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I know a guy who blew his uncles leg off with a brand new poke stalk shot gun when he was a kid. Hit him right in the ass where it met his right leg. He was taught from a young age how to carry but a long poorly fit firing pin and poor muzzle control did them in when he snapped the breech shut. They loaded up to jump shoot some geese before sneaking through a ditch and the excitement was surely a distraction and contributing factor. The poor guy still gets rattled when the gunning gets frequent 35 years later. These days there are many distractions that have to be accounted for when teaching youngsters and making sure to get signed off before each step is important and a complete unabashed honest assessment needs to be done. If they are rambunctious firm guidance is in order. Observing behavior and back to square one sometimes intentionally to gauge a reaction could be a method of understanding for the teacher not the pupil.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Just like teaching young ones how to swim, for their own safety, teaching young ones about firearms is for their safety as well as others. I started shooting at about 6 years, my father, an avid pistol and rifle marksman had a .22 trap in the basement and I used to stand on a step-ladder with a sandbag on the top step and shoot a Marlin lever action. I also went to many National Matches with him to Camp Perry. There were always guns in the gun cabinet and a loaded one upstairs for self defense. We were raised with a healthy respect for guns and the joys they can bring. That was in the early 60's and probably more common than now. I'm sure a trap would not be permitted in most basements today. I also think there is a better chance now aday for kids to stumble upon a
    "lost or tossed" firearm. Cheers, Fred

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    I think its a trade off. On one hand if completely denied a kids curiosity can become dangerous. On the other hand early exposure when jugement is immature can be devastating.

I bought some wax bullets used in cowboy fast draw competitions. They shoot using primers only, but will put holes in paper, and go bang. After careful instruction on proper handling they get to use those. Funny thing is the kids like shooting the wax more than lead. Less kick, less bang, but good sport. It also runs $0.05 per shot so plink away. The wax rings the steel, but wont break skin.

I will agree there are draw backs to firing light loads, but as introduction to real weapons i chose this path for my son. He also shot lead early, but my level of control was markedly different during those sessions.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    ... At 10 years old she'd say, 'Well Christopher, I think today we're going to go down to the levy and get you some fireworks, then we'll go pick vegetables at the farm and afterwards you can shoot the .22. After that we'll come back to town and get supper ready, and then maybe you and I will split a beer and play Gin Rummy...

Sounds like child abuse. Rummy 500 or Spades only in our house.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I started each of my children off with them watching me clean the firearms. While cleaning, I'm explaining ever part of the firearm. I show them the trigger and what it does. I show them that they should never point the firearm at anything that you're not planning on shooting. I let them help me. They can pull a cleaning rod through the barrel, hand you the CLP or oil. Ask them to carry the firearm (presuming it's not too heavy) to the safe. After a few times of this activity, I then usually take them out to the range for a very short session. They sit behind me with all of the safety gear on and a safety discussion before we start. Then back to the cleaning of the firearms. They learn that they are taking part in something important and serious. The range time shows them how dangerous these firearms can be.

They are never allowed to PLAY with daddy's firearms at any time. They had their toy guns and knew the difference.

While typing this, I just realized something I've never thought of before. I've always called a real firearm a "Firearm" and their toy guns, "guns". I just checked my wording on MDS and it's always "firearm". Interesting.

The kids have always been conditioned to respect the firearms in the house. I have gone as far as leave a bolt action laying on the bed with the bolt removed as a test. Other than my youngest, they all came to me telling me I left a firearm out of the safe. The youngest one didn't say anything but never played with the firearm either.

There's no magic words to use, but somehow it just happens. I've been very proud of my children. They have been great when it come to gun safety. One time I forgot my shooting glasses and my oldest son reminded me to put them on. Kids, when instructed can be very well mannered and responsible around firearms.

They are now 31, 27, 26 and 22 years old. Never have I had a bad experience with them at the range.

Good Luck!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have never been around households that hid guns. Gun racks, guns stacked in the corners, guns all over inside and out. We knew when to handle or play with them and I don't remember being taught so I reckon it was when I was a baby. I just don't understand not trusting your kids or letting someone untrustworthy in your house , but I am old school I guess

FAS1

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello everyone, I have been a lurker here for a while and decided I would chime in on this discussion. I grew up in an era that there were no quick access storage means to speak of and my dad had guns all over the house and they were all loaded. Today there are lots of options to secure your HD guns at least while you have toddlers and they really can't comprehend the damage that guns can do yet.

One thing that I had an advantage with over many of kids today is that I respected my parents and for the most part (on the important stuff anyway :D) obeyed what they said. My dad didn't really teach me about guns that I can remember and he wasn't a big hunter. He did take me deer hunting once when I was little. I think he just did enough education on guns that I wasn't curious about them and understood they were deadly.

I did play "Army" with toy guns and found motorcycles when I was very young and that consumed my youth. It wasn't until I was on my own that I felt I needed a way to defend my self at home (this was before concealed carry was an option in TX) and had more interest in guns. At that time I was in my mid twenties and seeked some help from a co-worker that had several guns to help me learn to shoot and handle a handgun properly.

Recently a friend and customer wrote a gun safety book for educating children. As a dad he wanted something that was easy to share and read with his kids. They even offer it as a coloring book. You might check it out if you want to educate your young kids and it's a great resource that we can add to our toolbox when educating our kids about gun safety.

25a8e7_844cfb7dce314bbea3e396a3d3e5bee0~mv2_d_2438_3075_s_4_2.webp

25a8e7_725c9733c36a43d981f13bde5a902153~mv2.webp

Mike

MDS Supporter
    For the little ones, 4-8, check out eddieeagle.com.

Good info there, thanks. https://eddieeagle.nra.org/parents/

I started each of my children off with them watching me clean the firearms. While cleaning, I'm explaining ever part of the firearm. I show them the trigger and what it does. I show them that they should never point the firearm at anything that you're not planning on shooting. I let them help me. They can pull a cleaning rod through the barrel, hand you the CLP or oil. Ask them to carry the firearm (presuming it's not too heavy) to the safe. After a few times of this activity, I then usually take them out to the range for a very short session. They sit behind me with all of the safety gear on and a safety discussion before we start. Then back to the cleaning of the firearms. They learn that they are taking part in something important and serious. The range time shows them how dangerous these firearms can be.

They are never allowed to PLAY with daddy's firearms at any time. They had their toy guns and knew the difference.

While typing this, I just realized something I've never thought of before. I've always called a real firearm a "Firearm" and their toy guns, "guns". I just checked my wording on MDS and it's always "firearm". Interesting.

The kids have always been conditioned to respect the firearms in the house. I have gone as far as leave a bolt action laying on the bed with the bolt removed as a test. Other than my youngest, they all came to me telling me I left a firearm out of the safe. The youngest one didn't say anything but never played with the firearm either.

There's no magic words to use, but somehow it just happens. I've been very proud of my children. They have been great when it come to gun safety. One time I forgot my shooting glasses and my oldest son reminded me to put them on. Kids, when instructed can be very well mannered and responsible around firearms.

They are now 31, 27, 26 and 22 years old. Never have I had a bad experience with them at the range.

Good Luck!

This is along the line of what I was thinking about. Dealing with letting kids be able to know what is a toy and what is not a toy. Good post, thanks.

Hello everyone, I have been a lurker here for a while and decided I would chime in on this discussion. I grew up in an era that there were no quick access storage means to speak of and my dad had guns all over the house and they were all loaded. Today there are lots of options to secure your HD guns at least while you have toddlers and they really can't comprehend the damage that guns can do yet.

One thing that I had an advantage with over many of kids today is that I respected my parents and for the most part (on the important stuff anyway :D) obeyed what they said. My dad didn't really teach me about guns that I can remember and he wasn't a big hunter. He did take me deer hunting once when I was little. I think he just did enough education on guns that I wasn't curious about them and understood they were deadly.

I did play "Army" with toy guns and found motorcycles when I was very young and that consumed my youth. It wasn't until I was on my own that I felt I needed a way to defend my self at home (this was before concealed carry was an option in TX) and had more interest in guns. At that time I was in my mid twenties and seeked some help from a co-worker that had several guns to help me learn to shoot and handle a handgun properly.

Recently a friend and customer wrote a gun safety book for educating children. As a dad he wanted something that was easy to share and read with his kids. They even offer it as a coloring book. You might check it out if you want to educate your young kids and it's a great resource that we can add to our toolbox when educating our kids about gun safety.

Hi FAS1, thanks for the info. I don't know your age, but I grew up playing 'war' with dirt clods and watching Rat Patrol and Combat!. Other than BB guns, we didn't have any firearms in the house when I was a kid. I did find the book on Amazon along with several others like this one that looks appropriate to older kids. Guns The Right Way

Now that you've come out of the shadows, you should post an intro for yourself over in the intros forum. https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Last edited:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    As they get older, remember to teach them about 2A and the racist history of gun regulations. In today's PC/SJW driven environment, relating restrictions to our right to own and bear firearms to truly oppressive racist practices will give kids a leg to stand on when the anti-gun education system tries to spread its falsehoods.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    not to derail this thread but cars, and dope and probably bathtubs are more dangerous than guns, what do yall teach your kids about them?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    not to derail this thread but cars, and dope and probably bathtubs are more dangerous than guns, what do yall teach your kids about them?

Fair question. When you include things like knives, prescription drugs, matches, and cleaning supplies in there, I teach them the same thing as guns. Used properly, they are not inherently dangerous. Just like guns, they are not to mess with any of those things without an adult present and only with the adult's permission.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I have never been around households that hid guns. Gun racks, guns stacked in the corners, guns all over inside and out. We knew when to handle or play with them and I don't remember being taught so I reckon it was when I was a baby. I just don't understand not trusting your kids or letting someone untrustworthy in your house , but I am old school I guess

Boom :party29:
    Way too much overthinking here, for starters you guys are glorifying the whole issue to the kids. First step second step, blah blah blah, just teach your damn kids to think and use some common sense. Its a tool that's all. A kid is more likely to do more damage at the dinner table with a steak knife and here we are going around acting like we live in a live minefield.

You know what this is right. Its the result of succumbing to all the crap the anti-2A crowd throws out. Just teach your kid not to be an frigging idiot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom