Does a 223/5.56 NATO lever rifle make any sense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I had a Marlin 30-30 lever back in the '70s that I left with my brother when he got out of the Marines and I moved to Madison for college. I have wanted to get another lever gun for a long time. Now I see this one that uses the 223/5.56 NATO rounds. I like the idea of not having to stock additional sizes of ammo. The reason I let go of my 30-30 was the ammo cost. But the ammo for this gun is abundant and half or less the cost for 30-30. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this rifle.

Is Browning any good these days?

Does this round make sense to have in a lever rifle? It'd be mostly just target shooting to start with. My interests keep shifting, so what would this be good for beyond punching holes in paper/(empty) cans? I'd probably put a scope on it too.

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/prod...rem-20-41-gloss-walnut-pistol-grip-stock-blue $882.56

image82496-a9e1e880b92c1a2243cab71be209fa5e.jpg

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    A marlin 30-30 is half that price. Take the other half and buy some ammo. Just saying. Or get a lever gun in 357. But a lever gun in 223 just doesn't sound right:D Or if you like it Get It. Thats what most important.:thumbsup:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's like tacti-cool in reverse.

They chambered a lever in .223, blasphemous, but left it as a shiny blue and wood firearm.

Not sure what you'd hunt with it. It will kill deer. But it's a marginal caliber choice.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Looks magazine fed. Pointy .223 in a tube mag is a disaster waiting to happen.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Why not? All guns are cool.

Ref, "Is Browning any good these days?" Owned BLRs in .308 and .358 Win and a sweet Grade 2 BL-22 in the recent past. All were beautiful and functioned great. Accuracy was fine, met or exceeded expectations for intended purposes. BL-22 was capable of minute-of-squirrel's head @ 50yds.

Brownings are too pretty to beat up, but categorize a lever gun chambered in .223/5.56 as a decent truck gun (where legal) for s/m-range yotes and vermin targets of opportunity, as a s/m-range walking varminter, or to add variety to your plinking when you have too much EBR ammo in storage...

Liquidated many of my "character" firearms to make room for 2013 acquisitions. Still going through seller's remorse. Now, byf43's cowboy rifle thread has me wanting a lever gun in .44 mag. All guns are cool ...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That is what I was going to say and I've seen them for $350 a few times. Tons of used ones around the low $300 range in good shape. That's about 600rnds of decent .30-30 to go with.

Yeah sure I am going to try my AR-15 in 5.56/.223 on deer probably next year as mine likely won't be finished by General firearm season this year, but it isn't a deer caliber. .30-30 absolutely is a deer caliber. A lever action varmit/coyote gun seems odd.

That said, to each their own. If you are interested in it, by all means, go for it. One of my concerns would be, is it isn't like a 336, 1895 or savage model 99. I am ignorantly assuming here that accessories and aftermarket are probably pretty severely limited in comparison. If you want it for what is, awesome. If you just want a lever gun, the above 3 are probably better choices. If you want a cheap shooting lever gun, get something in .357 magnum. Running .38sp in it can't really get any cheaper to shoot and it can still be a passable deer rifle inside 100yds running .357 magnum in it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Purdy rifle.

If I got one, I don't think it would see much range time.

I have AR's, Mini's and bolt .223/5.56 rifles. The bolt action doesn't get out much.

I have lever 30/30 and 44 mag. Can't even remember the last time I shot the 30/30.

For me it would be a very small void not needing filled

Man...since I'm not shooting them, it sounds like I have too many guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because you want one is plenty enough reason. BLR is a fine gun. Not particularly in need of acessorizing, other than sling and scope if desired.

Probably not a burning need that it is filling, but cpl decades ago I knew a guy with a BLR in .22-250, and he thought it was the greatest thing since canned beer, so why not ?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Unique concept.

Next thing you know......... somebody will be marketing a 30 or 40 (or more!) round magazine, for that thing!!!
    I thought this has been doing before, in tacti gross in appearance, a lever with a PMAG. Might have been a British design.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Have you seen the Brownings with Grade AAA Maple stocks from these past couple of years (especially offset by the lustrous Browning metal bluing)?

They are stunning firearms. Love the contrast.

I have guns that are twenty five years old, shot regularly, and still look new.

If I bought one of the those maple stocked rifles, it will fall off the bench and land on concrete the first time I took it to the range.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm itching to get the Browning T-bolt in 22Mag (so not too far off the OP bullet size) with this limited release maple for stocks. 10-rd mag and under 5 lbs. With a scope it won't be much more that 6 lbs, and might be a fun varmint gun.

As I understand it, they were warehouse cleaning and found this limited wood supply from 30 or more years back so decided to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom