• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Forgive me for my ignorance, and if Im breaking any rules or failed to read a sticky somewhere. I am trying to figure out what the process is on getting a newly manufactured pistol (CMMG banshee 45) through the MD roster process. Apparently it isn't already on the roster. How does one do this, and how long does it take typically?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    It could take a few months depending on when you submit the petition to have it added. Normally they require a sample of the handgun to test it, but if it’s a caliber addition, then no sample is required.

If you want to get one, we’ll submit it and the petition on your behalf at no cost. I already have a few I need to submit.

Chuck

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's the affidavit if you want to try it yourself.

I'd take up the offer from Tyler firearms though.

Attachments

• Handgun Roster Petition.pdf
      1.8 MB · Views: 129
    • Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 394

SockMonkey

Sep 20, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    It could take a few months depending on when you submit the petition to have it added. Normally they require a sample of the handgun to test it, but if it’s a caliber addition, then no sample is required.

If you want to get one, we’ll submit it and the petition on your behalf at no cost. I already have a few I need to submit.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,
    So I just stumbled across this topic because I had the same question on the CMMG Banshee. Can you give me some details on what's involved with this process? If I was interested, do you then buy the firearm with the intent of selling it to me once it's added to the roster? Or do I need to pay for it up front even though it's not on the roster yet? What happens if it is denied?

Sorry for what may sound like newbie questions, but this is the first time I've actually had an interest in something that is not yet on the roster.

Thanks,
    Bob

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Hey Chuck,
    So I just stumbled across this topic because I had the same question on the CMMG Banshee. Can you give me some details on what's involved with this process? If I was interested, do you then buy the firearm with the intent of selling it to me once it's added to the roster? Or do I need to pay for it up front even though it's not on the roster yet? What happens if it is denied?

Sorry for what may sound like newbie questions, but this is the first time I've actually had an interest in something that is not yet on the roster.

Thanks,
    Bob

The normal process would be to pay for the gun, it gets shipped to us, we submit to the roster board and once it gets added to the roster you do the 4473 and 77R, then pick it up a week later. It just takes a while because the roster board only meets a few time a year.

-- Chuck

SockMonkey

Sep 20, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The normal process would be to pay for the gun, it gets shipped to us, we submit to the roster board and once it gets added to the roster you do the 4473 and 77R, then pick it up a week later. It just takes a while because the roster board only meets a few time a year.

-- Chuck

Thanks for the reply, Chuck. Not so worried about the time, it's more about the money for me.

What if it is not approved and added to the roster? Do I get my money back or am I screwed? Thanks again!

Bob

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I can't think of the last time a pistol was submitted and not approved.

If its not made of styrofoam and held together with scotch tape and spit it will be approved. The roster means absolutely nothing except serving as yet another hurdle to Marylanders who want to buy guns.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

If its not made of styrofoam and held together with scotch tape and spit it will be approved. The roster means absolutely nothing except serving as yet another hurdle to Marylanders who want to buy guns.

There have been a few that were rejected lately (within the last year or two). They were submitted with broken firing pins and the thumb safety failed on one of them. Beyond that, just about everything gets approved.

SockMonkey

Sep 20, 2010
    Frederick, MD

Even one like this? Honestly, the look is the only reason why I'm concerned MSP will deny it.
    45A69F2.jpg

Bob

SockMonkey

Sep 20, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The handgun review board won't deny based on looks - only safety issues. Plenty of AR-style pistols are on the roster already.

Ok, great news! So, what about my question about "What if?" I still have to know what happens IF denial is the result. Not trying to be a pest, just need all the info to make the decision on moving forward.

Thanks again guys!
    Bob

SockMonkey

Sep 20, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Ok, so here is what I have been able to gather to answer my own question... "What if the firearm is denied addition to the roster?"

In most cases, it seems that if the gun is denied addition to the roster, the buyer would have a responsibility to resell the firearm to someone who resides in a state where it is legal to own. The FFL would then transfer to the new buyer's FFL. This could mean losing a good chunk of the money originally paid for the firearm (plus any FFL transfer fees, shipping charges, etc).

There are probably situations where this could play out differently. Perhaps the FFL/retailer would buy it from you? Perhaps the sale to someone out of state might end up making you some cash? But I'm guessing those possibilities are few and far between.

So for me, in my current situation, this is not a gamble I can afford to take. I'll wait to see if it appears on the roster. Fingers crossed.

Bob

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Forgive me for my ignorance, and if Im breaking any rules or failed to read a sticky somewhere. I am trying to figure out what the process is on getting a newly manufactured pistol (CMMG banshee 45) through the MD roster process. Apparently it isn't already on the roster. How does one do this, and how long does it take typically?

Read down this one. It's a quick search, theres others.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=221937&highlight=Maryland+Roster

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom