• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'm a newbie in the sense that I have only recently gotten into collecting antique and "near antique" firearms. I recently picked up an Winchester 1892, made in 1906, chambered for .38-40 (.38WCF). Assuming that it is otherwise safe to fire (seller tells me that it was fired within the last 6 months, but I do plan to have it checked out.) would the available cowboy action ammo be appropriate to feed it? Does it approximate the chamber pressures of period black powder ammo (I'm assuming it does -- just looking for confirmation.)

Yes I realize that being made in 1906, it very well could have been made to fire smokeless rounds, but I want to at least start out babying this 112 year old gun.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Best thing is to contact the ammunition manufacturers and ask them if their line is compatible with older firearms.
    This for sure. If you reload, you can get something like Trail Boss that was designed for cowboy action and to more-or-less replicate BP loads.

Of course, you could just reload with the Holy Black!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , virtually all * Cowboy* ammo is both suitable for period firearms in good condition , and loaded down to well under SASS specs . ( In the CAS game , no minimum power factor, and minimum recoil is the desired criteria.

A 1906mfg M1892 should have Nickle Steel bbl , aka intended for smokeless.

Trail Boss is certainly popular for that application, but to most closely mimic both the pressure Curve , and velocity of BP , is 5744 . But no whining about burning dirty at those pressures .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom