• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Heading up to NH for a Harley Tri-State rally and have a question about concealed carry in Maine. Using usacarry.com and selecting NH|Non-Resident Maine is red.

Located the following on a google search.

A law effective Thursday allows people in the state of Maine to carry concealed handguns without a permit. The new statute, which applies to both residents and non-residents ages 21 and over, means that anyone not otherwise banned from carrying a firearm can carry a concealed handgun within state borders.Oct 15, 2015

Just wondering why Maine shows red, when selecting NH non-resident? Is it because Maine only accepts CCW's from the home state?

Thanks

Winephile

Jun 16, 2017
    AA County, Maryland
    Maine CCW

Heading up to NH for a Harley Tri-State rally and have a question about concealed carry in Maine. Using usacarry.com and selecting NH|Non-Resident Maine is red.

Located the following on a google search.

Just wondering why Maine shows red, when selecting NH non-resident? Is it because Maine only accepts CCW's from the home state?

Thanks

I read their law. Looks like a full Constitutional carry state. As a non-resident you can carry with or without the $60 nonresident permit they offer. The only difference is that without the permit you must disclose that you're carrying when talking to police in a traffic stop. With the permit you don't have to say a thing about the gun.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I read their law. Looks like a full Constitutional carry state. As a non-resident you can carry with or without the $60 nonresident permit they offer. The only difference is that without the permit you must disclose that you're carrying when talking to police in a traffic stop. With the permit you don't have to say a thing about the gun.

Also need a permit (reciprocal or Maine non-res) to carry in Acadia National Park. The law is a little weird; it's Constitutional Carry but they technically still have their old reciprocity law which isn't very good.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    The way I read the following, I am a no-go.

Maine will only honor resident permit/licenses from the states they honor. When carrying under permitless carry unless Military/Hon. Disc. Vet you must be 21.

If carrying with a permit/license Maine honors must be 18 or older.

Notice: Maine’s State Police are now posting a list of states they have “Signed Agreements” with. This list on their site is not a listing of states that only honor Maine but just states they have signed agreements with.

Maine will only honor resident permits from the states that honor them as in the quoted statute below. The map above shows what states honor Maine so Maine will honor those states. (See Pemitless Carry Section on
    why you may need a valid Permit.)

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Maine is Constitutional Carry. Go have fun, unless you go to Acadia National Park which will require a permit to carry concealed.

FREEEDOM!

The way I read the following, I am a no-go.

As the previous poster pointed out, on the 15th of October 2015, Maine became a constitutional carry state which means that as long as you are not a prohibited person (I doubt such a person would be on this board), you can legally carry concealed in the state of Maine without a permit.

I am not sure if Maine requires you to inform an officer that you are carrying a weapon upon them making contact with you. I would look into this.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You have a duty to inform LE if you are carrying without a permit.

No such requirement exists if yoy are CCW with a permit.

Maine does not recognize NR permits

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    On one of my daily loops, I stopped in a gun store in NH. As one would expect they are VERY pro 2A and recommend everyone carry in their store. They were bitching about Maine firearm owners: in Nov, Question 3 was on Background checks for private firearm sales. Fortunately It failed, but the margin was very close (3%). They went on to state, 67% of the total votes came from liberal Portland. As in Maryland, the hunters don't feel threaten, therefore 2A issues aren't on their radar.

On another note, I didn't even need my NH Carry Permit. Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine allows concealed carrying without a permit. Though Maine is more restricted on places you can carry.

Was curious about the wording on Question 3, not as restricted as the one proposed for MD

The summary of Question 3

This initiated bill requires a background check before a firearm sale or transfer between individuals not licensed as firearm dealers. If neither party to a sale or transfer has a federal firearms license, the parties meet at a licensed firearm dealer, who conducts a background check on the transferee and completes the sale or transfer as though selling or transferring from the dealer's own inventory. Exceptions to the background check requirement are made for transfers between family members, while the parties are hunting or sport shooting, for emergency self-defense, in the presence of the transferor and in other circumstances.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NO. Arcadia NP is specifically mentioned by statute to require a permit for carry.

Either a ME permit or one from a reciprocal state

The referenced statute 12 MRS SS 756 allows carry only with a permit.

Attachments

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom