• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I am figuring out an SKS project rifle. Base is a Norinco barreled stripped receiver. It has no muzzle device and I don’t plan to mount a bayonet on it. My plan is synthetic semi-pistol grip montecarlo style stock and forward scout scope. A bit of a beater deer rifle.

Sourcing a non-detachable mag assembly seemed doable, but not particularly cheap. I don’t need or want detachable. However, this isn’t too much larger than the non-detachable, reviews on most sites are pretty favorable (needs a little fitting), seems to be able to be loaded with stripper clips and is only 10 rounds (don’t need more).

Oh and is less than half the cost of the few fixed magazine assemblies I can find.

Any idea on MD legality? Since no muzzle device and no grenade launcher, it should be fine to have a detachable mag, right?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I am figuring out an SKS project rifle. Base is a Norinco barreled stripped receiver. It has no muzzle device and I don’t plan to mount a bayonet on it. My plan is synthetic semi-pistol grip montecarlo style stock and forward scout scope. A bit of a beater deer rifle.

Sourcing a non-detachable mag assembly seemed doable, but not particularly cheap. I don’t need or want detachable. However, this isn’t too much larger than the non-detachable, reviews on most sites are pretty favorable (needs a little fitting), seems to be able to be loaded with stripper clips and is only 10 rounds (don’t need more).

Oh and is less than half the cost of the few fixed magazine assemblies I can find.

Any idea on MD legality? Since no muzzle device and no grenade launcher, it should be fine to have a detachable mag, right?

Unfortunately, in Maryland, an SKS with a removable magazine is not legal.
    dea78f0f267b1a9508aa2b01c829b072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Damn. That’s what I was afraid of. I guess I will have to track down a fixed mag. If anyone had any leads... (preferably cheaper than the $50-70 I see them popping up on eBay occasionally for)

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Damn. That’s what I was afraid of. I guess I will have to track down a fixed mag. If anyone had any leads... (preferably cheaper than the $50-70 I see them popping up on eBay occasionally for)

Maybe we can work out a deal. I have an SKS with a fixed magazine that I bought when I was a prisoner in the gulag of Maryland. I have since moved to PA where we have a degree of freedom. I would like to equip it with removable magazines. If you buy two decent 10 round detachable magazines (Midway sells Tapco 10 rounders for $25.49) I will swap you my stock, 10 round, SKS fixed magazine. I'll be at Tyler Firearms on Saturday, 11/10. We can meet at either 11am or 4:45 pm. IM me if you are interested.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Be advised that you cannot use a > 10rd fixed mag, either. That configuration is specifically banned in centerfire semi-auto rifles.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Unfortunately, in Maryland, an SKS with a removable magazine is not legal.
    dea78f0f267b1a9508aa2b01c829b072.jpg

What if you owned a SKS w/ detachable mag prior to 2013? Are not these and other now banned guns grandfathered?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Be advised that you cannot use a > 10rd fixed mag, either. That configuration is specifically banned in centerfire semi-auto rifles.

Yeah. I noticed someone is selling a fixed 20 round star mag on eBay and calling it a 10 (unless it is pinned...)

Which also violates eBay policies.

Knastera. Let me see what I might be able to figure out. Probably?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Am I wrong on this?

I thought the SKS without grenade launcher and/or bayonet lug could have a detachable magazine - doesn't meet the number of banned features for detached magazine firearms...

I don't think it's called out specifically in the banned rifle list that's in the COMAR.

So, I know the Yugo SKS I have can NOT have a detachable mag because its got a bayonet lug and grenade launcher [and yet sits quietly in my safe, rolling it's eyes at the grabbers].

But what about the Norinco SKS's that don't have grenade launchers nor bayonet lugs?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Am I wrong on this?

I thought the SKS without grenade launcher and/or bayonet lug could have a detachable magazine - doesn't meet the number of banned features for detached magazine firearms...

I don't think it's called out specifically in the banned rifle list that's in the COMAR.

So, I know the Yugo SKS I have can NOT have a detachable mag because its got a bayonet lug and grenade launcher [and yet sits quietly in my safe, rolling it's eyes at the grabbers].

But what about the Norinco SKS's that don't have grenade launchers nor bayonet lugs?

SKS with a removable magazine is named in the banned list. Copycat rules do not need to be applied.

It's a lot like how a Mini-14 with a folding stock is banned but legal with a fixed stock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181026-214845_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20181026-214845_Chrome.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 261

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Am I wrong on this?

Look at the earlier posts in the thread. SKS with detachable magazine is explicitly banned.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My SKS is pre-ban and had a folding stock, bayonet, muzzle brake and 30 round detachable mags when I got it. I have since restored it to it's original splendor because it also came with all of the original parts which luckily Bubba had not modified. I prefer the 10 round fixed mag on the SKS as it is much easier to load with a stripper clip than changing the magazine. I would not want to be fumbling with it while under the stress of combat where a few seconds can make the difference between life and death. Trying to load 30 rounds via stripper clips into a detachable magazine is possible, but with each clip loaded, it becomes more difficult to load the next taking up more valuable time.
    Be sure that your stripper clips are of decent quality and work well. Do not buy any NCStar crap! They cannot be made to function reliably! BXN or circle31 have worked nicely for me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, I finally found the damn COMAR that explicitly lists the SKS with detachable magazine. I was wrong.

Maryland - where I have to be a lawyer just to exercise a protected right in COTUS - and not to the full extent of the right.

Link: https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2016/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/section-5-101/

Hoping Kavanaugh can help fix that.

Though I’d be surprised if it didn’t take at least 2 or 3 years to have a categorical ban case before SCOTUS. more likely we will see the HQL case before them in a year or two.

Thanks to a member I have a fixed mag now. So most of the harder to get parts are now acquired. My plan is to see if I can check out head space once the bolt and bolt carrier show up. Otherwise basically ignore it till next year at the earliest.

I don’t have a comprehensive list in front of me, but I think all I need is a bolt hole open spring (pin and hold open were included on the “stripped” barreled receiver from SOG, as were a few other bits), dust cover, recoil spring/guide rod, gas piston, tappet and return spring and gas tube. Well, once the FCG and bolt/BCG show up that I bought, those are the only parts I think I am missing.

My AR-10 project needs some attention first and I may build a dedicated lower for my 16” AR-15 .223 HBAR upper (it shares with my scoped 20” upper). Possibly re-barrel it as I am not too happy with its accuracy, but for a cheap build it is 2-3MOA and with a red dot that is 3MOA on it...I may just build out a lower I have for it and call it good enough.

And I stupidly just picked up a G19 80%. But I am planning on that being a project after I finish my AR-10 and SKS. And probably a few other big purchases first (like a 22 pistol since I don’t own one and probably, finally, get a .223 bolt gun).

So many guns, so little time/money.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Sounds like you have the knack for building. I've done some 80% and like being able to build something functional. It's somewhat addictive.

Might try a sterling engine from a kit next...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds like you have the knack for building. I've done some 80% and like being able to build something functional. It's somewhat addictive.

Might try a sterling engine from a kit next...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That would be cool. Yeah, I love building stuff. Built an addition on my house and did all the work myself, except the foundation (framing, roofing, sheathing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc). Work on cars when I can. Built all my AR-15s (though from stripped lowers), a G17 80% and some more stuff.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Even if it were legal, duckbill and AK mag conversions for the sks are often fraught with complications and wasted time and money.

Finding mags that are compatible. Finding magazines that feed reliably. Modifying the bolt to close on an empty mag. Modifying the stock inletting to accept the mags with no resistance, but no so much that they are loose or disengage.

These types commercial modifications are what led many to believe in all Chinese SKS variants were poorly made and unreliable. While the finish work on some of the late, small arsenal carbines isn't as high in quality as other arsenal craftsmanship, the standard configuration sks is a highly reliable and user friendly platform.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom