• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    I'm in the process of building an elk rifle for a hunt in ~2018 at this point. It keeps getting pushed due to life stuff. Anyway, I've found my stock, scope, and got a great deal on a left handed barreled action a couple years ago and decided now was the time to build. I've got it set up and sighted in, but now I'm looking for a sling. That's usually the last thing people give a damn about, but in the last couple years hiking through the Alleghenies with my deer rifle and a cheap-ass Talon sling I noticed that after a day of walking my shoulder seems thrashed.

I like the looks of a paracord sling, but how does it stand up to being used and abused? Does it sit well on the shoulder? Figured I'd support someone either on here or elsewhere and buy a sling with US made swivels. I'm just worried about it potentially feeling worse than crappy nylon webbing as I'm hiking up and down mountains out west. No reason to pay 30-60 bucks for a sling I won't want to use in the long term. That money could be better spent on some fancypants ammo for my 35 Whelen.

Anyhow, interested in your thoughts.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have done pack handles with paracord and they have held up very well. In a rifle scope I would think it should have some sort of backer (an old sling/doubled heavy material) to make flat and stay that way while using. Just paracord would tend to stretch and then narrow making it a pain on the shoulders. Now I saw a guy who used paracord only for a handle but he did a three layer weave (first then a second over top then a third) he said it worked and claimed it didn't stretch. That's my two cents, Chris.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Check out the Brownells latigo rifle sling. You would be hard pressed to find a decent sling for less than 30-60 bucks unless you craft one yourself. A sling and its attachments were one of the first things I considered even before optics on custom rifles that I built. For working hunting rifles I know only consider 1 1/4 milled swivels like on a Springfield 03 a3 or Krag. For looks I like to use the oval recessed studs but they are not as heavy duty for a wicked strong attachment point. Looks above functionality only. JMO

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It would probably be stretchy and if you want to use it to steady the rifle in addition to carry, that might be a problem. It would probably also have a tendency to slip down off your shoulder without some kind of backers. A GI web sling might serve you better. Leather like a Turner sling would be best of all but out of your price range.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Check out the Brownells latigo rifle sling. You would be hard pressed to find a decent sling for less than 30-60 bucks unless you craft one yourself. A sling and its attachments were one of the first things I considered even before optics on custom rifles that I built. For working hunting rifles I know only consider 1 1/4 milled swivels like on a Springfield 03 a3 or Krag. For looks I like to use the oval recessed studs but they are not as heavy duty for a wicked strong attachment point. Looks above functionality only. JMO

I second the Latigo, it's rapidly adjustable and it looks good.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Check out the safari sling, can be carried multiple ways. A word of advise, if you are using a frame pack, practice while here at home. The curved "headache" bar gave my buddy fits carrying his rifle. While the "post" I have right above my shoulder let me carry the rifle easily.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    Check out the safari sling, can be carried multiple ways. A word of advise, if you are using a frame pack, practice while here at home. The curved "headache" bar gave my buddy fits carrying his rifle. While the "post" I have right above my shoulder let me carry the rifle easily.

Will definitely take a look at the safari sling. As for the pack, I haven't decided yet, was looking at some of the Kifaru and Alps Outdoorz stuff, but we'll see. My LLBean Frameless blaze pack probably won't do it for this trip as it's too small and probably won't carry the weight I need. I was considering something with Molle so I could throw a rifle scabbard on the side.

I am training with the LL Bean bag loaded with some bricks GoRuck style. So if you see some psychopath walking his dog with a hunting backpack at full weight this spring and summer down in Upper Marlboro, it's probably me.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    If it's an expensive rig I would go with one of these. Otherwise any ole sling. Not a fan of paracord slings, bracelets etc.

http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html

Not terribly expensive since I managed to get a used custom rifle done in probably the 90s put back onto a factory stock, I'm just churching it up a little bit to my tastes and updating it. I could deal without bracelets and dog collars and whatever, but I always thought a well made paracord sling might come in handy.

I'm going to try and dig up some reviews on the sling you linked, they look pretty solid in terms of comfort, which is what I'm after if I'm going to be hiking my butt off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It would probably be stretchy and if you want to use it to steady the rifle in addition to carry, that might be a problem. It would probably also have a tendency to slip down off your shoulder without some kind of backers. A GI web sling might serve you better. Leather like a Turner sling would be best of all but out of your price range.

Honestly I love heavy duty canvas M1 garand and carbine slings. I've got a 1" on my Ruger 10/22 and my AR-15. Fairly comfortable, they don't bite in to my shoulder and great for stabilizing the rifle. I'll actually probably replace the padded sling on my Sako with one. Not great traction when wet is my only complaint really and in T-shirt weather they rub my shoulder a little more than a padded sling, but they also tend to work better when wearing a pack.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I made this sling. Just a good therapy after a hand injury just to see if I could do it. It turned out well and I like it. Don't have any problems carrying a 10lb plus gun with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      143.9 KB · Views: 140

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you're elk hunting over long distances, seems like it's best to go with something comfortable, right? Personally when I've done whitetail hunts in the mountains that require a lot of hiking, I'm always glad to glad to have a padded, non-slip rubber sling. Is the idea that you'd undo the sling to use the cord in an emergency? Personally I'd just use a super comfy sling and carry a little cord in my emergency kit.

If you'll be carrying a pack, I really like the Kuiu backpack I got last year. It is very sturdy and light and has a pouch to hold a rifle while hiking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom