• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    He's a good bird, too. 21 lbs, 10.1" beard, 1" spurs. He actually walked in with two other toms in tow.

Ben20with20turkey_zpsekvvs4lj.jpg

20160508_085148_zpsmc7u7gdo.jpg

Question for experienced turkey hunters: When I was processing him, the whole upper portion of his breast was fat; is that normal? I've always been told that these birds are very lean, but he was surprisingly fatty (lots of yellow fat...)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's outer fat(I usually cut it off). The meat is very lean. I've tried smoking wild turkey with so-so results, even covering it wit bacon. Still turned out on the dry side. I prefer to grill the breasts. They turn out juicy and full of flavor.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    YOU SHOT CECIL! He was the pet turkey of the elementary school, that's why he ate so well!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks, everyone. I'm really happy about it. For the fall, I'm going to try to take one with a bow.

That's outer fat(I usually cut it off). The meat is very lean. I've tried smoking wild turkey with so-so results, even covering it wit bacon. Still turned out on the dry side. I prefer to grill the breasts. They turn out juicy and full of flavor.

Ah, ok. I started cutting it away, and it looked like I was cutting away the whole top half of the turkey.

When you grill the breasts, do you keep the legs and thighs, or just toss them?

Have you ever tried an injectable marinade?

I've already gone to the trouble of plucking it, but don't want my first turkey to be poorly prepared.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    That yellow fat you can pull away by hand almost but you definitely want it off the meat before cooking.

I marinade overnight in a mixture of 1 cup dry white wine and 1 cup Italian dressing. Then I season with a mixture of lemon pepper and Cajun seasoning. Place the turkey breast in smaller (9" or so) casserole dish. Pour a mixture of olive oil and butter (about a half cup of each) around the breast (lift it slightly so it gets under it also). Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour and 20 minutes depending on size. Love it that way.

Nice bird by the way.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    That yellow fat you can pull away by hand almost but you definitely want it off the meat before cooking.

I marinade overnight in a mixture of 1 cup dry white wine and 1 cup Italian dressing. Then I season with a mixture of lemon pepper and Cajun seasoning. Place the turkey breast in smaller (9" or so) casserole dish. Pour a mixture of olive oil and butter (about a half cup of each) around the breast (lift it slightly so it gets under it also). Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour and 20 minutes depending on size. Love it that way.

Nice bird by the way.

Thanks.

That sounds pretty good. What internal temp? 160F?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks, everyone. I'm really happy about it. For the fall, I'm going to try to take one with a bow.

Ah, ok. I started cutting it away, and it looked like I was cutting away the whole top half of the turkey.

When you grill the breasts, do you keep the legs and thighs, or just toss them?

Have you ever tried an injectable marinade?

I've already gone to the trouble of plucking it, but don't want my first turkey to be poorly prepared.

I toss the legs and thighs. Not much meat. I use my own "bird rub" on the breast and baste while grilling with viegarette type salad dressing.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Very nice turkey. As already mentioned, there is a difference between fat on the exterior of the meat and fat marbling within the meat. I have killed deer, geese, ducks, etc. that have a ton of fat between the hide/skin and the actual meat, but the meat itself is very lean. That bird must have been eating well.

I had planned on taking my son out on youth day at a buddy's 20 acre place where he has seen tons of birds, but things like baseball and lacrosse were on the calendar. My buddy called me about coming up to hunt, and I excitedly told my wife about it. Her response, "how are you ever going to get to do that with baseball and lacrosse on the weekend and school during the week." Thought about asking to take him out of school for a day, but I already knew what that answer would be.

One day, I'll get him his first turkey, deer, etc.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    He's a good bird, too. 21 lbs, 10.1" beard, 1" spurs. He actually walked in with two other toms in tow.

Ben20with20turkey_zpsekvvs4lj.jpg

20160508_085148_zpsmc7u7gdo.jpg

Question for experienced turkey hunters: When I was processing him, the whole upper portion of his breast was fat; is that normal? I've always been told that these birds are very lean, but he was surprisingly fatty (lots of yellow fat...)

:thumbsup:Nice bird!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You might want to check the settings on your camera....it's transposing the image, making it appear that your ejection port is on the wrong side of your gun :innocent0;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom