• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The early ones. With thin barrels.

Not that bad, but not tack drivers by a long shot.

I have a 181 and 182 series. They are fun to shoot and accurate enough for plinking.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    The bolts are not interchangabke without work. Doing the work would be the legal equivalent of taking an Post 10/2013 HBAR AR15 and making it a pencil contour.

I'm not sure if changing the bolts would be the legal equivalent. The bolts aren't mentioned anywhere in the legal m14 terminology, whereas in the AR15, the barrel is specifically mentioned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not sure if changing the bolts would be the legal equivalent. The bolts aren't mentioned anywhere in the legal m14 terminology, whereas in the AR15, the barrel is specifically mentioned.

The reason the Polytech is legal is that the parts to not all interchange.

Modify it so a standard bolt fits, and now you have a copy of a banned firearm (by AG deifnition of copy). And if done now, you have CREATED a banned firearm.

Definitly NOT legal.

Apr 15, 2013
    Is it ok not to love the Mini 14?

Sure it's fine, nothing wrong with it. I got one because the getting was good. But every time I've shot it, I've felt like there are other guns that I would rather have put that ammo through.

And I can't convince myself it's an M14. :sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't understand the Mini-14 love, either... I think it's because some people have an irrational love of guns with nice wooden stocks.

The Mini-14 is a not a bad rifle, but AR-15s these days provide a better gun for less money, especially when you consider long-term ownership.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I think it's because some people have an irrational love of guns with nice wooden stocks.

Thats all it is but thats all it NEEDS to be! If we only only had rational guns then no one would own anything but one or two ARs and Glocks. Thats an awful boring world I just don't want to live in;)

The mini-14s look great IMO. As a former woodworker I am one of those afflicted w/ an irrational love for nice beaver bait. The old folding stocks are cool too. Thats more than enough justification for many people.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I went to an indoor range last weekend with my Mini. First time out with it. I am not a marksman in anyway and was not shooting any real long distances only 25 yards with the steel sites. First mag 20 rounds were all bullseyes. The guys on both sides of me had AR's. The guy to the left was very intense siting his rifle in. The guy to the right of me with an M&P had multiple jams and was getting upset and switched to a pistol. My Mini ran flawless and I noticed that multiple people wanted to get a look at the MINI shooting not the AR's even the guy having jams with his AR asked me if it was a Mini and when I said yes he gave me the nod of the head in approval. I fully respect the AR, but to me just prefer the typical old school rifle style.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Mini 14 is more of a modern M1 Carbine than a small M-14.

And I LIKE the M1 Carbine size and feel.

wheelgun

Feb 23, 2009
    Thats all it is but thats all it NEEDS to be! If we only only had rational guns then no one would own anything but one or two ARs and Glocks. Thats an awful boring world I just don't want to live in;)

The mini-14s look great IMO. As a former woodworker I am one of those afflicted w/ an irrational love for nice beaver bait. The old folding stocks are cool too. Thats more than enough justification for many people.

When I was a younger man and dating, that's what we called our paychecks.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The bolts are not interchangabke without work. Doing the work would be the legal equivalent of taking an Post 10/2013 HBAR AR15 and making it a pencil contour.

The reason the Polytech is legal is that the parts to not all interchange.

Modify it so a standard bolt fits, and now you have a copy of a banned firearm (by AG deifnition of copy). And if done now, you have CREATED a banned firearm.

Definitly NOT legal.

True, but modify a standard bolt to fit and it remains legal... now how is that for being completely twisted around the shaft. Modifying the firearm would be illegal (Firearm being the receiver), making a part fit, still leaves it incompatible with the factory M1A bolt.

Mark

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    the newer tapco mags work 100% in all the minis I've tried them in. This includes new model tapered barrel models as well as stainless GB models and the sharp magazine pin DOC GBs.

The only thing I didn't like about the mini is no chromed barrels, but melonite is better anyways and will leave your action and chamber glass smooth as well as simplifying maintenance.

The tapcos I'm talking about are the ones with a metal plate at the front locking lug and stiffer polymer reinforced with more glass.

BTW, I'm not a pimp for melonite, nitriding is just incredible. I got a vz-2008 done and since then I've been in love with the process. My buddy just got some garand barrels done as well as a sub2k and some other stuff. The sub2k looks and shoots INCREDIBLE. Can't wait for him to get those garands put back together!!

Where can one get the melonite/nitride done and what is the cost?

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I like my AR15 because it pisses the liberals off the most. My son has the mini and wouldn't trade it for anything and there seems to be a lot of after-market stuff for it like the AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom