• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thinking about a used Ithaca XL900; how are they? I know they are not made any more. It's a full choke 30" barrel. Condition is not pristine but pretty good.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will tell you what I know. These were actually made by SKB Shotguns in Japan for Ithaca. Not the same company as SKB that makes shotguns today in Turkey. The XL900 was made from the 60's into the late 70's. The early models were recoil operated (like a Browning A5), the later were gas systems. The XL model has the gas system. They have fixed chokes. Other than that I have read generally good things from owners but information is hard to come by. You can still find barrels for these $150 to $200.

Last edited:

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    An XL900 was the first gun my father saved up for and bought back in the 70s, his is a fixed modified choke barrel. He told me stories of hunting with it in all kinds of nasty weather from when he was younger, then it sat idle in a gun cabinet for years until him and I started trap shooting when I was younger. We've both used it for trap for a while and its one of my favorites, it was even my backup gun when I shot competitively in college. The only issue we've had with it was some worn out trigger components, which I believe are pretty hard to find and a gunsmith custom made for us, but other than that it runs like a champ and is pretty damn light. Definitely a solid gun. If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom