.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm almost done with my .260Rem build, and I obviously plan on rolling my own for this one as well. Rifle will be a bolt-action, 26" Shilen 1:8 twist stainless barrel.

So what advice/tips can be offered? Particularly on powder selection, since that can always get interesting in these times.

Thanks.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I've had success with Reloader 19 and Varget. I've settled on Varget because I use it in my 22-250 too.

I was a fan of the Nosler 120 ballistic tip. I shot a whitetail running right in front of me and it hit through the bone of the upper front leg. The bullet angled forward and exited the exact front of his chest. Fragments hit the heart, but there was no blood trail that I could find. He only ran 80 yards but he was in real thick stuff.

I'm no longer quite so confident in the Nosler 120's

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For me, this is going to be more of a paper/steel banger at distance. It's got enough weight w/out optics to preclude it from being humped thru the woods.

Have other options for Bambi use. :)

Seems IMR 4350 is a popular choice, but my selection is also going to be limited by what I can get my hands on as well.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    IMR H 4350:thumbsup:
    FTFY. The IMR version is just a little too fast and will limit velocities to not much more than a .308, which is a waste of barrel life. The H version will typically deliver another 150-200 fps with everything else the same.

I have a couple .260s and have had excellent results with Norma 130s and Lapua 139s using H-4350 and CCI-BR2s.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Savage 10FP short-action.

Converted it from a 24" .223, blind magazine. To a 26" .260 with bottom metal (detachable mags).

Shilen stainless 1:8 26" barrel.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad talk to Browningguy he has had good results with his .260 loads .

I plan on picking his brain some, not sure if he's still running the .260 in a gasser, but it'd give me some ideas.

Plan on running the 142's after the barrel gets broken in. Still got some finishing touches to do on the rifle and pick up supplies before I can send the first round downrange.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    E.Shell, have you had any experience with H414 in the .260?
    No, I haven't.

I have tried H-4831, IMR-4350 and H-4350 in it with 130s/139s and 142s. H-4350 seems nearly ideal.

FWIW, I'm running H-1000 in a .300 WinMag and plan to try it in the .260 next time I go to heavier bullets.

Hodgdon shows H-414 as delivering almost as much velocity as H-4350. Other than what appears to be a rather low loading density, no reason it wouldn't work fine if you can get into the OCW with it.

Low loading density can create velocity deviations that will ruin long range precision. It also tends to indicate a powder is too fast, just like compressed loads usually indicate a powder may be too slow.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ok, that's great info. This is a new caliber to me, so all info is welcome.

I'll hold out for H4350, but I may give H414 a try since I can get that w/out issue at the moment - if nothing else it'll help me get some rounds down the tube.

This rifle will likely be the one I'd take to get some time in with you (when things finally allow me to), so it should be interesting to see how it does - hopefully I've improved enough to not embarrass the rifle. :)

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I plan on picking his brain some, not sure if he's still running the .260 in a gasser, but it'd give me some ideas.

Plan on running the 142's after the barrel gets broken in. Still got some finishing touches to do on the rifle and pick up supplies before I can send the first round downrange.

He is running it in a bolt gun too now . He took it when we went down to spend the weekend with Ed .

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    FTFY. The IMR version is just a little too fast and will limit velocities to not much more than a .308, which is a waste of barrel life. The H version will typically deliver another 150-200 fps with everything else the same.

I have a couple .260s and have had excellent results with Norma 130s and Lapua 139s using H-4350 and CCI-BR2s.

I will have to try some H4350. PM Sent

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't got my supplies in yet, but I did run some factory ammo just to get the barrel broken in some.

I admittedly could've done better, but for a new stock/barrel and hunting ammo, I don't think this was a terrible first outing.

View attachment 131073

MOA and better (.488" on a 3-shot) running Federal Fusion 120gr - who would've expected that??

Needless to say, I'm going to be very interested in seeing what a well-developed handload gets me.

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Browningguy talks so highly of the .260 I really want to get one for my .308 AR when I have the money. Good to know H4350 works as my LGS has it. Don't know what Wes uses. I've been bad and haven't stooped by The Gun Shop in 3 weeks, longest ever but no money right now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Supplies came in.

Powder selection was limited, so I could only manage 2 jugs of Varget, and a jug of H4831.

If nothing else, it'll give me something to experiment with and see if I can find a load the rifle likes.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Supplies came in.

Powder selection was limited, so I could only manage 2 jugs of Varget, and a jug of H4831.

If nothing else, it'll give me something to experiment with and see if I can find a load the rifle likes.

I think I have a pound of h4350 that I could trade you for a1680 or h110 if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom