Justice Department and ATF Begin Regulatory Process to Determine Whether Bump Stocks

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Bump stocks were just a loophole device for getting around full auto (MG) prohibition/regulations. I feel many of those that have these devices, derail and damage the credibility of 2A rights and ownership.

I personally don't believe there are too many instances where a civilian "needs" or has a "right" to fully automatic weapons.

However, like other firearm prohibition/ban milestones.... if you feel you NEED to have one of these; I suggest you get one while you still can.
    Spoken like true Statist.

:sad20:

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Bump stocks were just a loophole device for getting around full auto (MG) prohibition/regulations. I feel many of those that have these devices, derail and damage the credibility of 2A rights and ownership.

I personally don't believe there are too many instances where a civilian "needs" or has a "right" to fully automatic weapons.

However, like other firearm prohibition/ban milestones.... if you feel you NEED to have one of these; I suggest you get one while you still can.

I bet you also think the Second only applies to FUDD guns as well. With “friends” like you, who the hell needs enemies?

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad

:lol:
    Who da F@%K is this guy??? Personally I don't believe there is a need for anti-freedom loving Americans like you, yet here you are! What do you work for the ATF or something? :lol2:

Hey Mr. Fudd here is some food for thought for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquUBWHU2_s

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Your beliefs and feelings on any particular matter have no bearing whatsoever on the pre-existing, non-negotiable rights endowed to all of us. The only thing "damaging the credibility of 2A rights and ownership" around here is thinking like yours.

molon-labe-snake.jpg

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Thanks for the moniker correction....fixed :lol:

I didn't think that my opinion on this particular aspect of 2A would necessarily be popular. However last time I checked my post is still a basic right under the 1st amendment (just as your wonderful opinions, statements or creations are). We all don't have to agree on all aspects. It's not an all or nothing stance across the broad spectrum of gun regulations; especially in this state of Maryland where gun rights are already seriously eroded (and nothing of my doing). I am a law abiding , voting, hard working, tax paying, gun owning veteran who is a productive member of the community and have only resided in Md for 5 years. Fortunately, I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to. {BTW- great job you long time residents! WTF?!? }

On this one item, clearly I am in the minority and of of no threat or consequence. Yet I am not the whack job that went psycho on hundreds of people in Las Vegas. Direct your disdain, rage, piss and vinegar at the proper Representative, Senator, national committee or branch of justice department.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

I didn't think that my opinion on this particular aspect of 2A would necessarily be popular. However last time I checked my post is still a basic right under the 1st amendment (just as your wonderful opinions, statements or creations are). We all don't have to agree on all aspects. It's not an all or nothing stance across the broad spectrum of gun regulations; especially in this state of Maryland where gun rights are already seriously eroded (and nothing of my doing). I am a law abiding , voting, hard working, tax paying, gun owning veteran who is a productive member of the community and have only resided in Md for 5 years. Fortunately, I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to. {BTW- great job you long time residents! WTF?!? }

On this one item, clearly I am in the minority and of of no threat or consequence. Yet I am not the whack job that went psycho on hundreds of people in Las Vegas. Direct your disdain, rage, piss and vinegar at the proper Representative, Senator, national committee or branch of justice department.

I'll bite. You are absolutely right, you have every right to your opinion and your post here. The 1st amendment is as important as the 2nd. So if you feel like bump stocks should be banned, where does it stop? Are binary triggers ok, are triggers with short reset, short over travel, light trigger pulls ok?

I don't have a bump stock and honestly don't want one. But I've got a binary trigger and its a lot of fun on my AR-22. I've got more Geissele triggers than I probably should. Should my 3 gun trigger be illegal, should my SSA-E trigger be illegal?

Like most things in life, the devil is in the details. If you want to ban bump stocks, that's fine, just understand people were doing the same thing with tools as simple as a twig and a belt loop way before bump stocks were around.

Wouldn't you just propose that semi-auto's in general be banned? Isn't that just a clever way to circumvent some random infringement placed on the 2A?

Not sure what the first bold means?

To the second bold ,Neither did any of the thousands of people with them or the Akins,Hellfire,AS IV,legally owned MG's etc.:sad20:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Outside of the "shall not be infringed" argument, the main issue is at it's core bump firing is a technique, not a device. All semi-autos are capable of it, and all bump grips/stocks do is make the technique easier to manage. That is where the problem lies, the fact that it is near impossible to eliminate the ability to bump fire without eliminating the self-loading mechanism that all semi-autos use. That is why we are so cautious to throw what is essentially a loose fitting stock under the bus, and why gun banners are jumping at the chance to use a "bump stock" ban to go after much more. The stock itself does not alter the trigger, in fact doesn't alter anything internally, it just guides the rifle and your finger back into firing position. Good chance changing the longstanding definition of "1 shot per action of the trigger" to something else will have a ton of unforeseen consequences, and hand un-elected bureaucrats at the ATF unprecedented authority to change definitions that are written into law.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Outside of the "shall not be infringed" argument, the main issue is at it's core bump firing is a technique, not a device. All semi-autos are capable of it, and all bump grips/stocks do is make the technique easier to manage. That is where the problem lies, the fact that it is near impossible to eliminate the ability to bump fire without eliminating the self-loading mechanism that all semi-autos use. That is why we are so cautious to throw what is essentially a loose fitting stock under the bus, and why gun banners are jumping at the chance to use a "bump stock" ban to go after much more.

The recoil of the M1a makes it one of the easier guns to bump fire. I've seen people at the range that got really good at just the right trigger pressure to double fire pretty consistently. And that was with a completely stock rifle.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

You believe those things?

Well, at least we KNOW you are the enemy.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The recoil of the M1a makes it one of the easier guns to bump fire. I've seen people at the range that got really good at just the right trigger pressure to double fire pretty consistently. And that was with a completely stock rifle.

Meanwhile the ATF once declared shoelaces were NFA regulated machineguns. Part of the absurdity of trying to stuff a 100+ year old genie back in the bottle, at least for folks that can't afford a transferrable MG, and aren't willing to break the law to obtain or build one.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not to stoke the fire, but since we are all expressing our 1st Amendment Rights here, I will add that fully automatic weapons (not fauxly automatic) are PRECISELY the types of arms that our founders would have wanted in the hands of private citizens, since their purpose is to serve as a buffer against tyranny.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So some infringements are ok ?

Quote:
    "Shall not be infringed" What part don't people understand?

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..."
    - George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress, January 8, 1790

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison,*January 30, 1787

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison,*December 20, 1787

Yep, and putting 'limits' on the 2nd Amendment is the most abused phase also.
    Who is doing the limiting? By definition the general assembly's, state government nor congress sets the limit. The 9th and 10th Amendment guarantee rights given by our creator.

John Locke and Sir William Blackstone have repeatedly been quoted by me an others here. Limits on the government and NOT the people.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Quote:
    "Shall not be infringed" What part don't people understand?

Yep, and putting 'limits' on the 2nd Amendment is the most abused phase also.
    Who is doing the limiting? By definition the general assembly's, state government nor congress sets the limit. The 9th and 10th Amendment guarantee rights given by our creator.

John Locke and Sir William Blackstone have repeatedly been quoted by me an others here. Limits on the government and NOT the people.

I know this and was asking the question of whom I quoted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom