• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I’m sure we’ve got some MDShooters IPs/Dealers who set up tables, but I’m wondering about “Hobby Shooters” like me.

I have several boxes of military/tactical/LE equipment in my storage unit, above and beyond what I need. Plus the usual assortment of AR15 accessories - grips, stocks, handguards, slings, etc. I need to unload it.

Anyone ever sell their own stuff at a gun show? Was/is it worth it? Did you make any money? Break even? Lose money? Wondering if I’m better off trying to sell at a gun show, vs. eBay, CraigsList, MDS Classifies, ARFCOM Equipment Exchange, etc.

Or maybe I should just dump it all at Goodwill and be done with it...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The classifieds are free, it would only take a bit of effort to group some stuff together and see if it sells.

I would go that route before paying for a table and carrying totes of stuff out of my house, into the show, and vice versa when the show is over.

G/L

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have done it several times with ammo, firearms, mags, collectibles..... and made good money. IIRC tables at Timonium and HoCo were roughly $75. I have set up at the big antique arms show in Timonium twice and made some nice cash also. Those tables are not easy to get and are more money. It is also usually an enjoyable weekend too.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Selling at a gun show can be a lot of fun. You'll need to pay for one table and be there both Saturday and Sunday, figure out how you will take bathroom, lunch breaks and the like. Have a friend join you, and when it is slow you can take a look at all the other tables. Be prepared for lots of lookey loos, bargain hunters, guys who just want to talk, etc.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Depending on what you have and what your time is worth will determine if it is worth it. If you have quality things and don’t try to sell for more than retail, it will probably sell. If possible, try to set up on Friday for shows that are Saturday and Sunday. Make sure you have a table covering for the table. It helps to have everything in totes or large boxes for transport. A cart or hand truck is quite useful. Some promoters provide chairs, if they don’t, bring one. If you are soloing it, bring a cooler with food and drink. One of the side benefits is vendors will often give discounts to other vendors, so you can add to your stuff.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    The classifieds are free, it would only take a bit of effort to group some stuff together and see if it sells.

I would go that route before paying for a table and carrying totes of stuff out of my house, into the show, and vice versa when the show is over.
    Good point, thanks!

I have done it several times with ammo, firearms, mags, collectibles..... and made good money. IIRC tables at Timonium and HoCo were roughly $75. I have set up at the big antique arms show in Timonium twice and made some nice cash also. Those tables are not easy to get and are more money. It is also usually an enjoyable weekend too.
    Spending a weekend on it doesn’t sound like a bad deal in the winter.

Selling at a gun show can be a lot of fun. You'll need to pay for one table and be there both Saturday and Sunday, figure out how you will take bathroom, lunch breaks and the like. Have a friend join you, and when it is slow you can take a look at all the other tables. Be prepared for lots of lookey loos, bargain hunters, guys who just want to talk, etc.
    Haha, almost goes without saying at a gun show, right?!?

Depending on what you have and what your time is worth will determine if it is worth it. If you have quality things and don’t try to sell for more than retail, it will probably sell. If possible, try to set up on Friday for shows that are Saturday and Sunday. Make sure you have a table covering for the table. It helps to have everything in totes or large boxes for transport. A cart or hand truck is quite useful. Some promoters provide chairs, if they don’t, bring one. If you are soloing it, bring a cooler with food and drink. One of the side benefits is vendors will often give discounts to other vendors, so you can add to your stuff.
    Excellent advice, except the part about adding to my stuff. :sad20: Every time I go to get something out of storage, I hear George Carlin doing his hilarious rant about “stuff” :lol2:

Thanks for all the wisdom so far. Maybe I’ll try to find someone local on the Classfieds first.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you want to go to a show find a few guys looking to do the same and split a table or hit up some of the local smaller shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom