• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    This is a big trendy thing for a certain subset of young women these days. I've been doing mostly these the last 2 years, as a bulk of my business. I've been mostly doing commissions of foxes- and now wolves! I can do a bear this way too, but have not had someone with a bear skin ask. I can't sell bear hides, so has to be your bear you hunted. BIG teddy bear anyone?

These are all stuffed with polyfill, and you can semi pose them.

The blond colored critter with blue eyes is an eastern coyote, and the customer wanted the eyes like that. The one wolf has blue eyes, again what the customer wanted. Having oddball eye colors is part of this genre.

Attachments

• arcticandbadger.jpg
      arcticandbadger.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 1,148
    • arcticfoxd.jpg
      arcticfoxd.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 1,026
    • wendigolayingoutdoorsd.jpg
      wendigolayingoutdoorsd.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 1,297
    • wendigocurledb.jpg
      wendigocurledb.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 994
    • bigfoxe.jpg
      bigfoxe.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 935
    • luminawolfm.jpg
      luminawolfm.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 1,013
    • luminawolfd.jpg
      luminawolfd.jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 1,080
    • Cruxd.jpg
      Cruxd.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 2,713
    • Cruxc.jpg
      Cruxc.jpg
      115 KB · Views: 1,746
    • rfoxsoftd.jpg
      rfoxsoftd.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 924

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That cool and all, but ya have to admit, that's a little freaky too.

Nice job.

Congrats!

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Very cool! I didn't know the skin could be made to stay pliable.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    That is amazing work!!!!

Can you do my wife's cat when it dies? Seriously. We have been discussing what to do when the beloved little bugger eventually croaks. Stuff him, do the bear rug thing, or simply bury him. This soft mount taxidermy presents a new option we never thought of!

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    That is amazing work!!!!

Can you do my wife's cat when it dies? Seriously. We have been discussing what to do when the beloved little bugger eventually croaks. Stuff him, do the bear rug thing, or simply bury him. This soft mount taxidermy presents a new option we never thought of!

My wife might like to have our dog done this way when she passes. Not sure though, might be a little (lot?) weird to have your pet stuffed.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    My wife might like to have our dog done this way when she passes. Not sure though, might be a little (lot?) weird to have your pet stuffed.

It is definitely a little weird!

BUT, if you have a sense of humor, it can be a fun way to honor and remember a cherished pet. When I was a kid, I saw a golden retriever that was made into a "bear rug" though the mouth was not open. You know, head "taxidermied", the rest all flat with a nice felt border. It looked pretty cool, though it was a bit creepy too. I mean, how often does one see a dog/pet stuffed!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I can def do a dog or cat this way. I'd prefer it over a standard mount of one. Soft mount is less work and less headache. I do have to carve a head to do a pet, using the animals head for reference. The pet will look like it's breed/specie but will not "look" like the individual you knew. When the pet dies, freeze whole immediately, or keep good and cold and get to me ASAP. If it's been dead a while and smells some or is a lil bloated, it will likely not work for a mount, but I can have the skeleton cleaned if that is your thing. I'm doing that with a sugar glider that really stinks, but the 2nd one they bought me is fresher and might work out. Though not sure a soft mount would work for a sugar glider. A regular mount for them is best, I can use a flying squirrel form. I could soft mount a ferret though. Even a goat or sheep ( cutest are kids and lambs that didn't make it). Please don't ask me to soft mount a horse though lol.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    These are very interesting. Trying to decide if I like them or not. They are very well done, just don't know if I would want something like this. If I didn't keep it up high I'm pretty sure the Labrador would have a new chew toy.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    This is a big trendy thing for a certain subset of young women these days. I've been doing mostly these the last 2 years, as a bulk of my business. I've been mostly doing commissions of foxes- and now wolves! I can do a bear this way too, but have not had someone with a bear skin ask. I can't sell bear hides, so has to be your bear you hunted. BIG teddy bear anyone?

These are all stuffed with polyfill, and you can semi pose them.

The blond colored critter with blue eyes is an eastern coyote, and the customer wanted the eyes like that. The one wolf has blue eyes, again what the customer wanted. Having oddball eye colors is part of this genre.

those are neat!vAnd creepy at the same time...;) Whats the cost of something like that?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    those are neat!vAnd creepy at the same time...;) Whats the cost of something like that?

foxes, 300 and up depending on what you want in customizing and leg structure, plus hide cost or cost to tan your own fox

coyotes, 400-475 plus cost of tanned hide if you do not have a tanned coyote to supply- if it's your coyote I charge 100.00 to skin for mounting and tan.

wolf, 500-700 by size, plus cost of tanned hide ( 500 and up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom