• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artbart1

Mar 13, 2017
    Carroll County, MD
    Hi All, I am new to Maryland, and so I registered all "regulated firearms" within 90 days of moving here. Now, I'd like to sell one, and it has a "high capacity" magazine. I understand that I can only sell this outside of MD. Do I still have to meet at a MD State Police station, then transfer the Mag outside of state lines?

I do not have an HQL, I bought this legally in my previous state before moving here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You may :

Sell to out of state FFL
    Sell instate without magazine(s)

You may NOT ;

Sell or Offer for sale in Maryland with over 10 round magazine ( or the magazines by themselves, or in any combination).

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    4-305(b) of the Criminal Law Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland states that, "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm." Unlike Maryland's law governing "assault weapons," § 4-305(b) does not prohibit the possession of such magazines in Maryland, or the transportation of such magazines into Maryland. Also, Maryland law would not govern the sale or receipt of such magazines that occur outside of Maryland.

I do believe that includes bartering or giving them away, which is a another word for transfer.

Yea kinds of sucks doesn't.:sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 947

Mikebiker

Mar 16, 2009
    It would take a book to explain how screwed up maryland is on this. You can sell it out of state but it MUST transfer through a licensed dealer. Assuming it is a handgun with a magazine over 10 rounds you can sell it with no magazine but it still must transfer through a dealer or state police. You could buy a 10 round magazine and sell it in state but it still must go through a dealer or police. You can sell the large magazines out of state.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    It would take a book (read upside down and backwards) to explain how screwed up maryland is on this. You can sell it out of state but it MUST transfer through a licensed dealer. Assuming it is a handgun with a magazine over 10 rounds you sell it with no magazine but it still must transfer through a dealer or state police. You could buy a 10 round magazine and sell it in state but it still must go through a dealer or police. You can sell the large magazines out of state.

FIFY

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You may :

Sell to out of state FFL
    Sell instate without magazine(s)

You may NOT ;

Sell or Offer for sale in Maryland with over 10 round magazine ( or the magazines by themselves, or in any combination).

4-305(b) of the Criminal Law Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland states that, "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm." Unlike Maryland's law governing "assault weapons," § 4-305(b) does not prohibit the possession of such magazines in Maryland, or the transportation of such magazines into Maryland. Also, Maryland law would not govern the sale or receipt of such magazines that occur outside of Maryland.

I do believe that includes bartering or giving them away, which is a another word for transfer.

Yea kinds of sucks doesn't.:sad20:

It would take a book to explain how screwed up maryland is on this. You can sell it out of state but it MUST transfer through a licensed dealer. Assuming it is a handgun with a magazine over 10 rounds you can sell it with no magazine but it still must transfer through a dealer or state police. You could buy a 10 round magazine and sell it in state but it still must go through a dealer or police. You can sell the large magazines out of state.

Everyone seems to forget about 4-305 (a) ((2)) which states:

§4–305.

(a) This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

So it is possible to sell a handgun with mags larger than 10 rounds in the state of Maryland. It's just who you can sell to that determines it's legalities.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    That is what I love about the laws they come up with, only after the 5th Sunday after a Blue Moon if you name ends in a Y and your a 1 eyed 1 horned, flying purple people eater, then the Law does not apply. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    That is what I love about the laws they come up with, only after the 5th Sunday after a Blue Moon if you name ends in a Y and your a 1 eyed 1 horned, flying purple people eater, then the Law does not apply. :sad20:

The real problem is finding 1 eyed 1 horned, flying purple people to eat... :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at #8 , thinking some more, it's still murky. Any active/ retired LE may * buy * normal capacity mags, but it is still prohibited for a potential private seller to * offer for sale * . Kind of a catch-22 . To be unambigously legal, an exempt person would have to get their normal capacity mags from an FFL, or have them shipped to them from out of state.

Kind of like when possesion of weed itself is decriminalized, but the selling of it is illegal. Or when exchanging $ for sex is legal, but bordellos and street walking are illegal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Everyone seems to forget about 4-305 (a) ((2)) which states:

§4–305.

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

So it is possible to sell a handgun with mags larger than 10 rounds in the state of Maryland. It's just who you can sell to that determines it's legalities.

Actually, Jim (and I think this subject has started arguments in the past, which isn't my intention here) I take that clause to mean that only a LEO / retired LEO can buy OR SELL the banned magazines.

If you look at the whole section:

§4–305.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

You see that (a) applies to the entirety of (b), which means that only a person exempted in (a) (i.e. a LEO) can "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer" a banned magazine. So while it's legal for a LEO to buy one, it is NOT legal for a non-LEO to sell one, even if it's to a LEO. Likewise, a LEO (or retired, etc) can sell one, a non-LEO CAN NOT buy one, even from an exempted LEO.

This is the exemption that makes it legal for a LEO to buy standard cap magazines from an FFL, or he/she could sell them to an FFL or another exempted person (i.e. LEO / retired LEO).

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Actually, Jim (and I think this subject has started arguments in the past, which isn't my intention here) I take that clause to mean that only a LEO / retired LEO can buy OR SELL the banned magazines.

If you look at the whole section:

You see that (a) applies to the entirety of (b), which means that only a person exempted in (a) (i.e. a LEO) can "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer" a banned magazine. So while it's legal for a LEO to buy one, it is NOT legal for a non-LEO to sell one, even if it's to a LEO. Likewise, a LEO (or retired, etc) can sell one, a non-LEO CAN NOT buy one, even from an exempted LEO.

This is the exemption that makes it legal for a LEO to buy standard cap magazines from an FFL, or he/she could sell them to an FFL or another exempted person (i.e. LEO / retired LEO).

if you go through an FFL, you are not selling the restricted mag. The gun goes into the dealer's book which is perfectly legal. Then the gun goes to the new owner (LE or retired LE) and they can take possession of the firearm with the restricted mag.

You wouldn't be able to do this transfer at a MSP barracks, but through a dealer, it's perfectly legal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or once the Md FFL has it in his inventory, it can be sold by out of state ( through out of state FFL, as usual).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom