• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have to admit something. When I wrote the original post here, I never figured that this thread would continue to revive itself every so often. Every time I see some new person wander in and give us a report like I'm seeing here, it makes me think that maybe the tide really is turning in our favor. It's heartening to see this many folks ready to take a stand.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I took advantage of the free NRA membership offer of a few months ago which I am considering turning into a Life membership when it ends. I, too, am a relatively new MD resident and certainly new to these boards so I'm still learning what can be done. Sadly, the more I learn here and elsewhere the more I get disheartened about the whole thing, it boils my blood yet I don't know what I can productively do about it. I need direction.....

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I took advantage of the free NRA membership offer of a few months ago which I am considering turning into a Life membership when it ends. I, too, am a relatively new MD resident and certainly new to these boards so I'm still learning what can be done. Sadly, the more I learn here and elsewhere the more I get disheartened about the whole thing, it boils my blood yet I don't know what I can productively do about it. I need direction.....

That sounds like something I said several months ago when I was really new to the firearms scene/MDS/politics. I was almost apathetic, thinking that there was nothing I could do to promote our cause, but now I know different.

I've become a bit of an MSI whore lately, but they are legitimately the best/only game in town when it comes to preserving our 2A rights in Maryland. The NRA is part of the solution, but they are tending to other matters at present. Granted, some of their efforts may end up helping us, but we are not their main focus at this time. They say that all politics are local, and it's absolutely true. Join MSI if you haven't already, attend the meetings, read Norton's MSI updates religiously, send out the mass emails (using the quick email tool) with the ready made text to the legislators who need to know we're going to stay stuck up their ass so long as they continue to oppose us, attend committee hearings in Annapolis whenever possible, and stay vigilant.

It's an uphill fight, and it won't be easy, but for a handful of bucks and some time on the quick email tool, you can do your fair share to help secure our 2A freedoms and win back those that have been so unjustly taken from us.:thumbsup:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

It is ALWAYS a good time to write your representatives. Write a general letter on what you would like them to concentrate on during the next session. Suggest some bills. Use the Mass Mailing tool to send it out to every single one of our legislators. Then in a month, rewrite the letter and narrow down your thoughts and hit them all again. Repeat every month. Someone is opening letters and emails even when they are not in session.

[Cheap Plug] Also, join us on August 1st for the Open Holster Protest in Annapolis. [/Cheap Plug]

-Boxcab

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County

On it. Thanks.

Edit: Done and donated. :D

It is ALWAYS a good time to write your representatives. Write a general letter on what you would like them to concentrate on during the next session. Suggest some bills. Use the Mass Mailing tool to send it out to every single one of our legislators. Then in a month, rewrite the letter and narrow down your thoughts and hit them all again. Repeat every month. Someone is opening letters and emails even when they are not in session.

[Cheap Plug] Also, join us on August 1st for the Open Holster Protest in Annapolis. [/Cheap Plug]

-Boxcab

Hey if I'm off work that day, I'm there.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    I do what I can... sometimes I feel like I could do more... I get into lots of political discussions to try and convince people to be more pro-2A (among other things). I've even turned a couple people into gun lovers. I offer to go shooting with people who have never shot a gun besides a BB gun if that. And show them that they don't automatically start killing people haha. A lot of people aren't fans of guns because they don't know about them besides the image of violence they've gained through Hollywood...
    I like to think I'm doing a little bit when I can. Joined NRA, promote their cause all the time. Promote MDShooters too as often as possible, because besides the common pro-gun mentality, it's fairly local (which helps build the community in my opinion), and damn it if I don't hear most of what's going on in the world through here. I keep meaning to, but haven't written letters... I really get the feeling they don't even take a second glance if they don't agree with you. I'd rather them not have the option to just throw the letter in the trash. I think I'd be better face to face, and oh what I wouldn't give to have a little chit-chat with O'Malley... or O'bama for that matter.
    I dunno... it's not much, but I try.

Nug

Jul 14, 2009
    Baltimore County, MD.
    Rights

All of our rights are under attack. There are many good ideas. One is to keep track of the anti-gun and anti-constitution groups. We live in scary times.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I've lived in Virginia and now Maryland, and in both states I found I didn't have to write my elected officials. In Virginia I didn't need to because my elected officials tended to vote the way I wanted to. Just wind them up and off they go.

In Maryland I've found it to be useless. No matter how many times I write them, they vote the way they please, and Marylanders invariably back them up.

Why are Maryladers so different from Virginians when the two states are right next to each other? I suspect it goes back to the "Civil War," when Abraham Lincoln, fearing state secession, illegally arrested and incarcerated the entire Maryland State Assembly with no writ of habeas corpus, including the great grandson of Francis Scott Key, who was kept in the same Baltimore prison as his famous forebear. Lincoln appointed a new Assembly which were handpicked Unionists and anti-states' rights. After John Wilkes Booth escaped and left a trail through Maryland, Union troops and investigators used the same incredible intimidation tactics against the people they had used throughout the war. By the time they felt comfortable voting again, many went to the Southern Democrat Party, which took a turn to the left under the control of progressives and collectivists.

After the healthcare bill debacle, Rep. Chris Holland was one of the most vocal in taunting conservatives and Tea Party patriots. Sure, I wrote him and my other representatives and it was useless. They don't care because most Marylanders don't care! We have a few people who are strong on the Second Amendment, but all in all, Maryland never passes up the chance to pass a gun control law. Why they haven't gotten around to banning knives or Internet purchase of ammo is beyond me.

But overall these people will vote as they see fit regardless of what the people want.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Thankfully our community managed to defeat the FOID bill and the AWB this session. Those bills never got off the ground because we jumped up their ass off the bat and let them know the price for supporting such ridiculous legislation would be a lot higher than they'd want to pay. It's important to realize that we have a voice, and that they do listen to us, if only to find out how much they can push us before we draw the line.

Chin up, folks. This has been a great session for us, and I look forward to ending it strong.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    In Maryland I've found it to be useless. No matter how many times I write them, they vote the way they please, and Marylanders invariably back them up.

I have said it many times. One letter is a start, but 1 million letters will make a change. The old water torture technique... one drop is annoying, 100 drops irritates, a million drops will drive you crazy.

In Virginia there are already "a million" letters going to the Representatives, so you were being covered by others. Virginia has a had their gun owners revolution. They learned how to rally the troops and fight. Maryland gun owners are just learning this.

The Maryland Reps are beginning to say that they are being flooded by emails from us gun nuts. At first they consider it a one time fluke, but after a couple years of constant pounding, they are beginning to understand that we are not just going to go away. If they are paying any attention to the National scene they may realize what is coming their way. The plethora of Anti bills this session may be their last offensive serge to gain the greatest foot hold prior to Federal laws being in acted, but also notice how many Pro gun bills were entered! The tide is turning, but we still need more troops to push the Anti’s back.

We also must understand that the Anti’s will not shrug their shoulders and give up. Every time there is a Columbine, Virginia Tech, or innocent shot in a drive by… they will be back. They will rally the troops and push for sensible gun regulation, registration, and confiscation. History repeats itself. A fresh new crop of idealist are graduating from our schools of higher education each year, and each believes they can “fix” all the ills of man with just one more law, even if it means restricting our rights.

Thanks to those who have joined he fight. Now your mission is to get a fence sitter to do the same. As the numbers grow and people see that we are having an impact, the job of gaining active supporters will become easier.

-Boxcab

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    I will admit that up until recently, I had not done much except try to introduce people to shooting as I could. I have taken a number of people to the range for their first time shooting. Some loved it, some not so much.

I had thought about some way to get involved, but until I got turned on to this fourm I never really knew what to do.

Since joining, I have joined the NRA and I have (for the first time in my life) written to Senators and Congressmen regarding pending legislation. This site is unique in that is has a number of members who talk a lot about rights (as other sites have as well), but people here actually DO something about it.

The nature of this fourm is not just about shooting as a sport or hobby, but I think there is a pervasive feel about personal involvement and responsibility to not only stay abreast of current issues, but to become involved and do something.

I am joining MSI, and plan to attend future rallies and will continue to write letters as necessary regarding legislation. I have also convinced some far left leaning family members that our current trend in this country towards increasing loss of rights has got to stop.I am happy I found this site and this is a great question asked by this thread.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    I will be interning with the National Republican Senatorial Committee to get the kind of "Change" we need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom