• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badpainting

Dec 30, 2018
    Hey all, this is my first post on the forum so apologies if this information is readily available already and I just was doing a bad job trying to track it down. For Christmas a friend of mine who took me to go shooting for my first time not that long ago (and a few more times since :D) very generously gifted me a really nice rifle. As a guy who never even considered owning a gun before, this is a hell of a big step. He lives in VA, and I live in MD, so I'm wondering

A) is this rifle legal in Maryland?
    B) what's the best way of going about getting it registered/taxed etc., especially since it was given to me for free as a gift from someone out of state

It's a Kel Tec PLR-16 that seems to be pretty decked out with attachments. Telescoping stock makes it 36" in length, with a scope, laser attachment, 30 round mag and a foregrip.

Can't figure out how to embed pictures here, link: http://www.imgur.com/a/htB6WVK

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Buy a paint set.

Preferably pastel water colors. It will be easier.:sarcasm:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    First thing that popped into my head was make sure you get it transferred through an FFL and that mag can't change hands within Maryland. If that does not have a heavy barrel it's a no go.

badpainting

Dec 30, 2018
    Buy a paint set.

Preferably pastel water colors. It will be easier.:sarcasm:

Easier than what? Uhhh?

First thing that popped into my head was make sure you get it transferred through an FFL and that mag can't change hands within Maryland. If that does not have a heavy barrel it's a no go.

OK so does that mean I need to take it to a local gun shop and have them handle some paperwork or something? And mag can't change hands within MD - can you clarify what you mean? Also not sure how to tell whether or not it's a heavy barrel, I could ask my friend what barrel it is that he put on there because I have no clue.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    To be legal your friend can't give you the rifle until you meet him a t a VA FFL for the transfer/instant check or he meets you or ships the rifle to a MD FFL for transfer/ instant check.

Any magazine for a semi-auto with a capacity over 10 can't be bought, sold, given or received within the state.

The barrel needs to be marked heavy or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal after 10/1/13 in Maryland(unless it was owned prior to that date)

Maryland laws can be tricky you don't want to get in a jam over them.

badpainting

Dec 30, 2018
    To be legal your friend can't give you the rifle until you meet him a t a VA FFL for the transfer/instant check or he meets you or ships the rifle to a MD FFL for transfer/ instant check.

Any magazine for a semi-auto with a capacity over 10 can't be bought, sold, given or received within the state.

The barrel needs to be marked heavy or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal after 10/1/13 in Maryland(unless it was owned prior to that date)

Thanks bud! Really appreciate it. That's pretty crazy about the magazine capacity thing - he did give it to me in VA (including the magazine), but I guess I don't have any paperwork or anything proving so.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks bud! Really appreciate it. That's pretty crazy about the magazine capacity thing - he did give it to me in VA (including the magazine), but I guess I don't have any paperwork or anything proving so.

I realize posting here is a first attempt to better understand what to do, but you need to first insure that what you have is legal in MD. If you don’t know then you should assume it’s not until you can confirm.

Try contacting the manufacturer and see if the model is maryland complaint. Some manufacturers will actual note on the product page on their website that a specific model is or is not compliant with some states laws. Like others have said if the KelTek website specifically states the rifle has a “Heavy Barrel” or “HBAR” in the description, print that out and keep a copy. You could also try to contact a local Kel-Tek dealer and see if they can sell the exact model in Maryland right now. They may confirm it’s legal or not.

Being a new firearm owner can be exciting but if you are careless, naive or just plain stupid, you could end up with some serious legal and financial troubles. Don’t risk doing something you will regret.

This is my opinion, I’m not a lawyer. Good luck finding your answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The image you linked is a SU-16, a 5.56 caliber rifle with a collapsible stock, which the manufacturer lists as having a medium profile barrel and as such is NOT legal in MD.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/su-16e

You pretty much must give it back since it's illegal for him to gift it to you across state lines without going through an FFL and the rifle is not legal to own in this state. Good thing it's still at his house in VA, right?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Wrong. Keep reading to the bottom.

Easier than what? Uhhh?

Wrong, it is not an AR.

OK so does that mean I need to take it to a local gun shop and have them handle some paperwork or something? And mag can't change hands within MD - can you clarify what you mean? Also not sure how to tell whether or not it's a heavy barrel, I could ask my friend what barrel it is that he put on there because I have no clue.

Keep reading to the bottom of my post. Not needed to be HBAR. The HBAR rule only applies to the AR-15.

It is not an AR-15 that the OP is getting. It'll be explained at the bottom of my post.

I realize posting here is a first attempt to better understand what to do, but you need to first insure that what you have is legal in MD. If you don’t know then you should assume it’s not until you can confirm.

Try contacting the manufacturer and see if the model is maryland complaint. Some manufacturers will actual note on the product page on their website that a specific model is or is not compliant with some states laws. Like others have said if the KelTek website specifically states the rifle has a “Heavy Barrel” or “HBAR” in the description, print that out and keep a copy. You could also try to contact a local Kel-Tek dealer and see if they can sell the exact model in Maryland right now. They may confirm it’s legal or not.

Being a new firearm owner can be exciting but if you are careless, naive or just plain stupid, you could end up with some serious legal and financial troubles. Don’t risk doing something you will regret.

This is my opinion, I’m not a lawyer. Good luck finding your answers.

No need to contact Kel-Tec, because it is not an AR-15. As such it does not need a Heavy BARrel. Keep reading to the bottom of my post for an explanation.

The image you linked is a SU-16, a 5.56 caliber rifle with a collapsible stock, which the manufacturer lists as having a medium profile barrel and as such is NOT legal in MD.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/su-16e

You pretty much must give it back since it's illegal for him to gift it to you across state lines without going through an FFL and the rifle is not legal to own in this state. Good thing it's still at his house in VA, right?

1. Wrong. It is listed as NOT BANNED by MSP, because it is not an AR-15. Collapsing stock as a standalone does not make it into a banned configuration.

2. Partially correct. You are correct in the fact that it must be transferred through a FFL in VA or MD. you are wrong about the status of the rifle in regards to FSA2013. It is not an AR-15 and has no evil features that would prohibit ownership/possession after 10/1/2013.

Straight from MSP to your eyeballs.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Kel Tec
    Kel-Tec SU-16C
    Not Banned Not Regulated by Statute 11/9/2015

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hey all, this is my first post on the forum so apologies if this information is readily available already and I just was doing a bad job trying to track it down. For Christmas a friend of mine who took me to go shooting for my first time not that long ago (and a few more times since :D) very generously gifted me a really nice rifle. As a guy who never even considered owning a gun before, this is a hell of a big step. He lives in VA, and I live in MD, so I'm wondering

A) is this rifle legal in Maryland?
    B) what's the best way of going about getting it registered/taxed etc., especially since it was given to me for free as a gift from someone out of state

It's a Kel Tec PLR-16 that seems to be pretty decked out with attachments. Telescoping stock makes it 36" in length, with a scope, laser attachment, 30 round mag and a foregrip.

Can't figure out how to embed pictures here, link: http://www.imgur.com/a/htB6WVK

Even in the picture you posted, it is legal in MD. It has a telescoping stock, and is not an AR-15. No need for HBAR on it. The OAL of the rifle is 35.5", therefor exceeds the 29" minimum OAL rule.

You're fine. Go to a VA or preferably MD FFL and try to transfer it.

The one you linked to is actually this one, not the PRL-16 that you stated.
    https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/su-16c

The PRL-16 is actually a pistol.
    https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/plr-16

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    DA thanks for correcting my post and educating me as well as the OP.

F’n Maryland and our ass backwards gun laws. I guess once they ban everything including pea shooters, we wont have to ask “Is this (insert gun make) legal”

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    DA thanks for correcting my post and educating me as well as the OP.

F’n Maryland and our ass backwards gun laws. I guess once they ban everything including pea shooters, we wont have to ask “Is this (insert gun make) legal”

Nah, bro, you're good. The way that MD is with the lunacy, it is easy to make mistakes that claim something illegal, when it is not. Those mistakes eventually find their way as "law" over time and then get argued about on here to the end of time. Case in point the definition of HBAR in MD law is not defined and MSP only gave guidance, but people are saying the guidance is written in the law, yet the law contains nothing of the sort.

Part of being who we are is to stand guard against our own restricting us from the "self imposed" infringements, just to be safe, when the infringements are not codified in the law. The best that we can hope for in educating each other is that there will be somebody that is willing to listen.

I may not be a MD resident any longer, but I will do my damnedest to help people from falling into BGOS, because of "erring on the side of caution". Another side of that coin is that I still have to work in MD, so I'm closer to the lunacy than I ever was before, because I'm not just dealing with MD as a MD resident, I'm dealing MD and Fed law for being a interstate traveler.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Did your friend provide you the manual or box or is the specific model (not serial number) engraved on the firearm itself? That would help clear up which firearm you have.

If its the SU-16E as DaemonAssassin suggests, then to take possession of it you will need to fill out the 4473 transfer paperwork at a MD or VA FFL (you both have to be there) since you live in different states.

If its the PLR-16 as you state, then its a pistol and your friend would have to send the pistol to a MD FFL, you would have to get an HQL and go through the MD handgun paperwork.

Either way, if your friend gave you mags larger than 10 rounds, take possession of them in VA so that you can legally have them in Maryland.

If you need a Maryland FFL recommendation, let the forum know the area you live and I'm sure people will give you their thoughts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What DA said.

But just to be very clear , you ( the OP) can not handle this by yourself . Your friend must be physically present at the FFL , which may be either in Md or Va .

For your general enlightenment ; . If both of you were residents of either Maryland or both of Virginia , he could just hand it to you and say " Merry Christmas " . But Federal Law requires the involvement of an FFL for residents of different states .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm not familiar with Kel Tec and just assumed!

You're good. Like I said to ToolAA, we have to police ourselves so that mistakes don't become "law", when the restrictions don't exist. Why make it easier for the anti's in the MGA to screw us over?

I'd expect any member to correct me if I was wrong.

FWIW, I think I know what happened. It looks like an AR, has the telescoping stock of an AR, therefore it is easily mistaken for an AR.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You're good. Like I said to ToolAA, we have to police ourselves so that mistakes don't become "law", when the restrictions don't exist. Why make it easier for the anti's in the MGA to screw us over?

I'd expect any member to correct me if I was wrong.

FWIW, I think I know what happened. It looks like an AR, has the telescoping stock of an AR, therefore it is easily mistaken for an AR.

Great write up DA... (post #11)

Saved me from doing it:thumbsup:

And you are correct... self applied restrictions of “non existent laws” are infringements of the worst kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom