• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an opportunity to buy a Surefire M961 at a relatively low price (<$100) - are these lights worth using at this point? I'm given to understand they're fairly heavy. I don't have many weapon lights, so I'm assuming "something" is better than "nothing".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have an opportunity to buy a Surefire M961 at a relatively low price (<$100) - are these lights worth using at this point? I'm given to understand they're fairly heavy. I don't have many weapon lights, so I'm assuming "something" is better than "nothing".

I have one on an SBR. It's a little large, but it will light up three football fields.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I forgot to follow up on this thread.

I'll buy it that cheap! If you don't like it just trade it or resell it.
    I wound up buying eight of them for about $40 each, and, after some research, I can confirm they're real Surefires. Mind you, they were used hard, have a Xenon bulb, and no pressure switch, so the deal is not QUITE as mind-blowing as it sounds. Still, pressure switches aren't THAT expensive and I can always swap in a Nailbender/Customlites drop-in when the bulb goes.

Suffice it to say, eight M961s fills a pretty huge hole in my weapon light backlog. The remaining rifles will probably get Streamlight ProTac 1 Rail Mounts when those go on a really good sale - big heavy M-series lights being less appropriate for my SBRs.

Anyone know the USGI approved way to mount up a M961 on a rifle with CAR15 handguards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom