• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Hi Ed,

I took a long range class with you last year. It was a blast and I recommend anyone reading this to take a class with Ed.

Now to my question. Ed, you mentioned that you use Wipe-out to clean your gun. You said you let it sit overnight (I think) and then just patch it out. Do you use the, "Wipe-Out Patch-Out" or just the "Wipe-Out" product? Do you let the barrel sit horizontal or do you point the gun down and plug the crown end somehow? If you plug the end, what do you use? I have a big muzzle brake on the end of my rifle and can't think of an easy way of closing the barrel. I am shooting a 6.5 bullet.

Thanks a bunch,
    Eric

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Not sure what Ed will recommend but as far as plugging the barrel, you could use a rather inexpensive expandable foam earplug or just a good dab of soft wax.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have Wipe Out and also I use the Wipe Out Accelerator; which negates the need to let Wipe Out sit in the bore overnight.

I normally just squirt the Wipe Out in until it starts foaming out from both ends, and then plug with patches. And let the barrel rest horizontally.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If it's cylindrical, you can roll a little tape around the brake, foam up the bore, and then I let mine sit at a slight downward angle and let it drip from the muzzle on to either a paper plate with a folded up paper towell or just a slightly thicker folded up paper towel. I also run a patch of accelerator up the bore first, but still give it a couple hours of wait time. Depending on the bore, a couple foamings might be needed(the mosin is a dirty beyotch).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hi Eric,

I usually use "Wipe-Out" foam. The "Patch-Out" is a liquid that seems to work faster, but is not as thorough. I also use the "Accelerator" (catalyst) with the foam.

I prop the rifle up on a short bipod with a bag under the butt to tilt the muzzle down and allow the fluid to drain from the muzzle. This prevents the solvent from backing up into the action and bedding areas.

I use a soda straw on the Wipe-Out nozzle. If the straw is a little loose, a wrap of tape around the nozzle will take up the slack and seal it off. This lets me squirt the foam directly up into the bore, minimizing mess. For small calibers I'll split the other end of the straw so it will enter and seal the throat.

When you apply the foam, it expands quite a lot, so limit your release to short bursts and let it expand so you can see what you have. If you keep squirting until it begins to come out of the muzzle, there will be too much and it will expand in both directions and make a mess.

I often apply Wipe-Out in two stages. When I was competing every weekend and cleaning two or three rifles after every match, I settled into a workable and effective routine:
    As soon as I arrived home from the match, I'd grab the rifles and set them up as described above, run a patch wet with the "Accelerant" through each one, and then fill the bores with Wipe-Out foam. While that was soaking, I'd unload the rest of my gear, get dinner and a shower and then push a couple patches through each rifle.
    Usually, gobs of fouling would come out and I'd then repeat the wet patch/Accelerant and fill the bores with foam, but this time they sit overnight. Before heading to the office in the morning, I'd patch them all out and they would be 99% clean.
    Sometimes, depending on caliber, a little bit of hard carbon powder fouling will build up and can be removed either by extended soaks with the wipe-Out, or by use of JB or similar compound.

Wipe-Out supposedly leaves a protective film in the bore, but running stainless barrels and shooting them every weekend, it's hard to say if it's an effective protectant. If you have a carbon steel barrel, you might folow up your cleaning with a light coat of oil.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Hi Eric,

I usually use "Wipe-Out" foam. The "Patch-Out" is a liquid that seems to work faster, but is not as thorough. I also use the "Accelerator" (catalyst) with the foam.

I prop the rifle up on a short bipod with a bag under the butt to tilt the muzzle down and allow the fluid to drain from the muzzle. This prevents the solvent from backing up into the action and bedding areas.

I use a soda straw on the Wipe-Out nozzle. If the straw is a little loose, a wrap of tape around the nozzle will take up the slack and seal it off. This lets me squirt the foam directly up into the bore, minimizing mess. For small calibers I'll split the other end of the straw so it will enter and seal the throat.

When you apply the foam, it expands quite a lot, so limit your release to short bursts and let it expand so you can see what you have. If you keep squirting until it begins to come out of the muzzle, there will be too much and it will expand in both directions and make a mess.

I often apply Wipe-Out in two stages. When I was competing every weekend and cleaning two or three rifles after every match, I settled into a workable and effective routine:
    As soon as I arrived home from the match, I'd grab the rifles and set them up as described above, run a patch wet with the "Accelerant" through each one, and then fill the bores with Wipe-Out foam. While that was soaking, I'd unload the rest of my gear, get dinner and a shower and then push a couple patches through each rifle.
    Usually, gobs of fouling would come out and I'd then repeat the wet patch/Accelerant and fill the bores with foam, but this time they sit overnight. Before heading to the office in the morning, I'd patch them all out and they would be 99% clean.
    Sometimes, depending on caliber, a little bit of hard carbon powder fouling will build up and can be removed either by extended soaks with the wipe-Out, or by use of JB or similar compound.

Wipe-Out supposedly leaves a protective film in the bore, but running stainless barrels and shooting them every weekend, it's hard to say if it's an effective protectant. If you have a carbon steel barrel, you might folow up your cleaning with a light coat of oil.

I will save this post. Thank you, sir.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom