• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    So its a money thing and not a performance thing? Why don't the various law enforcement organizations use the same handgun that the Army selects?

No money is just one of the several factors. The DOD has different needs and other worldly buying power.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    You are telling me that the MoCo PD is too cheap to replace their weapons on a 5 year schedule rather than a 10 to 15 year or more schedule? Everything wears out, uniforms, flashlights, shoes, cars, and firearms. All should be replaced on a regular basis.

THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION THESE ARE NOT THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT OR FOP LODGE 35.

It was not a major concern of those that hold the purse strings outside of the department. Glock have a 10k round count promise in conjunction with yearly maintenance. The county charter prevents the department from selling firearms period even back to a manufacturer to offset the cost of new guns.A replacement schedule was put in place with the financial constrains placed on the department however it was far from adequate. The police department is still trying to recover from the appropriation of funds during the great recession that were earmarked to deal with other issues. Combine that with mismanagement within government and we are where we are.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    The curious thing would be to see which 5% (if that's accurate) are the ones with problems. Random guns or high round count guns or guns conforming to a particular serial number range. Like I said, if this is an issue (not that police scuttlebutt complaining about something is ever wrong :) ) it is not normal and hopefully the armorers are on the phone with the manufacturer to nail down the problem. I've seen frame and slide stress problems across a host of brands but it's usually heavily used QRT guns in .40 or especially .357S.
    Without going into detail the answers we received in conjunction with our own data collection made the switch necessary.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It makes sense to budget ten year replacement for duty guns. There is no real way to know the round count and while some never leave the holster but twice a year and put 200 rounds through it others might shot twice a month every year.

I would say good job to MoCo for keeping an open mind. A neighboring jurisdiction flat out didn't bother to examine caliber replacements which I believe is foolish. Almost as foolish as picking a firearm only one other department in the country used and that the company appears to be moving on from already.

Things break regardless of caliber and parts wear down. Too much liability on the line to not have new working firearms and once you start seeing failures on the firing line it's time to do an overhaul.

A large department in the state spent a good bit of money rebuilding their Sigs with all new springs and replacing night sights and two years later replaced them all. Seems status quo for government budgets but what a waste.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I blinked. Which firearm is referenced as " only one other Dept in the country uses " ?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I blinked. Which firearm is referenced as " only one other Dept in the country uses " ?

The FNS 40LS....at the time the MD agency was the only agency issued that particular gun. Now it appears a total of 3 in the country might use it.

While there seems to be less than 10 using the FNS platform.

I do understand everything starts somewhere and Sigs and Glocks wouldn't be where they are if some agency somewhere didn't start using them but I'm not sure it makes sense to be the first or maybe second.

The good news is it's such a great platform FN already introduced the 509 and appear to have moved on from the FNS to some degree.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION THESE ARE NOT THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT OR FOP LODGE 35.

It was not a major concern of those that hold the purse strings outside of the department. Glock have a 10k round count promise in conjunction with yearly maintenance. The county charter prevents the department from selling firearms period even back to a manufacturer to offset the cost of new guns.A replacement schedule was put in place with the financial constrains placed on the department however it was far from adequate. The police department is still trying to recover from the appropriation of funds during the great recession that were earmarked to deal with other issues. Combine that with mismanagement within government and we are where we are.

Maybe MoCo could afford to buy new handguns if they stopped letting every swinging richard working for the county from being allowed to take a car home, not the police officers but, the run of the mill bureaucrats.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Taking a leap to consider the std length and long slide versions are substantially similar, I just located a min of 6 agencies. While slightly fewer sworn Ofc than Balt Co , AZ Dept of Public Safety ( aka Az Hwy Patrol) is certianly a Major, Reputable agency .

Someone here has an FNS of either flavor, I"d be interested in test driving one to form my own opinion.

From the spec and reviews , it appears to be another Glock clone, with subtle ergonomic tweaks. When the market demand is for " striker fired plastic frames, interchangeable grips or back straps, they're going to be highly similar.

And FN USA certianly has the manufacturing capability to make quality firearms, and they have a mil/ LE support network, so no inherent warning bells on those fronts.

Sometimes early adopters get really big financial incentives.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    You guys really still us hydrashok??? Why...? Speer seems like the best choice for duty.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Well, we all know the real reason LEOs got stuck with the forty is because a bunch of Democratic governors got together and thought they were handing out these to the public servants.

Olde-english.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom